U.S. Defense Secretary Apologizes After Soldiers Pose With Afghan Corpses

News_Editor

U.S. Defense Secretary apologizes after soldiers pose with Afghan corpses 2012-04-20 09:31:47 GMT+7 (ICT) WASHINGTON, D.C. (BNO NEWS) -- U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta on Wednesday apologized following the publication of controversial photos which show U.S. soldiers posing with the corpses of Afghan militants."I strongly condemned what we see in those photos, as has General Allen," Panetta said, referring to ISAF Commander General John Allen. "That behavior that was depicted in those photos absolutely violates both our regulations, and more importantly, our core values." "This is not who we are, and it's certainly not who we represent when it comes to the great majority of men and women in uniform who are serving there," he added.The photos were released by the Los Angeles Times on Wednesday, showing paratroopers from the 82nd Airborne Division, who appeared in the pictures next to Afghan police, posing with smiles beside corpses. The incident occurred in Afghanistan's Zabul province in February 2010 when the soldiers were sent out to recover the remains of a suicide attacker and try to identify the body through fingerprints and iris scans.Some of the pictures showed the soldiers posing next to the severed legs with a 'thumbs up' gesture."This is war. And I know that war is ugly and it's violent. And I know that young people sometimes caught up in the moment make some very foolish decisions," Panetta continued. "I am not excusing that," he added, although he stated that he did not want the images to "bring further injury to our people or to our relationship with the Afghan people." Panetta also said a full investigation had already begun, assuring that appropriate action would take place.In addition, the Defense Secretary said the department regrets the release of the photos as they had urged the Los Angeles Times not to publish the photos. Meanwhile, the paper said a soldier had released the pictures to them to draw attention to the safety risk of a loss of leadership and discipline. tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-04-20

Take note everyone, Ulysees G and I are in full agreement. This moment is rarer than rocking horse sh*t wink.png

The soldiers need to be left standing in the sun all day in full combat clothing, with no water or shade. This would be dangerous, stupid and totally pointless, meaning it would share the same three attributes as taking the photos. Most soldiers I know, having been aware of all the previous hysterical reactions and even jailings for photos taken that should never have been taken would have told their mate with the camera/smartphone to stop being so bloody stupid. N further action required, there is a war on, and had the suicide bomber done a better job, the forensic photo's may well have been of the soldiers mates sprawled out on the floor with limbs missing. The soldiers actions were stupid, but in my opinion only, kind of understandable in a PTSD kinda way.

Edited by GentlemanJim

Tis true there are worse things in the world...............

But, It is a basic lack of respect.

That in no way is to suggest the enemy has any respect either.

But it serves no purpose except to enrage & probably cause reactions from the enemy

to better them at it. So in that respect can be seen as putting their fellow soldiers at even more risk.

Like this....

Taliban vow revenge after US soldiers pose with dead bodies of insurgents

On the other hand a barbaric force could use such as a form of propaganda.

Cut off heads put them on spikes to put fear into an enemy as to their possible fate.

But at the end of the day what is our purpose there?

If it is to defend the higher higher ground then walking the walk is

part & parcel of it.

Respect of the dead or fallen enemies should hopefully be a trait exemplified regardless

of the actions of others/enemies

Edited by flying

The very act of apologizing is imho more misguided than the taking of the photos in the first place. The Taliban need no excuses for their violence but give them a pretext to wave in front of our own misguided press and they will surely take it.

• Like 2

Yep, agree with Steely Dan. While never advisable to be in any picture in a combat zone if you can help it, and not too smart to take pics of dead bodies, all that being said, dogs should have more rights than these criminal terrorists. Their only goal is to make money and they do so by terror and extortion. If you knew the kinds of things they do to woman and children, if you really knew, I think you would agree.

And apologizing! What has the world come to?

It is war and the terrorists in the photos had purposely blown themselves and innocent people up. Taking pictures with them was probably ignorant, but there are a lot more important things to worry about.

They were not terrorists. They are fighters/soliders protecting their country which has been invaded. If you call them terrorists im guessing the people who live in afghastan will call the us soliders terrorists.

You cant just call people terrorists because how they dress or look.

I have a good video link regarding how some US soliders are quiting the army and throwing away their medals due to them realising they are acting like terrorists. In a way if you watch it you can understand why some US soldiers go insane and do such things as they have done in the past to dead bodies which is how i have related my reply to being on topic :)

If a mod lets me post it i will.

It is war and the terrorists in the photos had purposely blown themselves and innocent people up. Taking pictures with them was probably ignorant, but there are a lot more important things to worry about.

They were not terrorists. They are fighters/soliders protecting their country which has been invaded. If you call them terrorists im guessing the people who live in afghastan will call the us soliders terrorists.

You cant just call people terrorists because how they dress or look.

I have a good video link regarding how some US soliders are quiting the army and throwing away their medals due to them realising they are acting like terrorists. In a way if you watch it you can understand why some US soldiers go insane and do such things as they have done in the past to dead bodies which is how i have related my reply to being on topic smile.png

If a mod lets me post it i will.

Unfortunately, they are blowing up their own civilians, killing their own children, blowing up their own schools, etc. And many of the fighters involved are not even from Afghanistan. They are foreign fighters.

Aside from that, I can understand why soldiers are unhappy. It's not a well thought out war. America shouldn't be there. It's not worth the life of one soldier. From any side.

• Like 1

Suicide bombers that target innocent men, women and children for death and dismemberment are terrorists and nothing more.

Fair enough UG ,but personally I would have wrote "Islamic Suicide bombers that target innocent men,women and children for death and dismemberment to further and in defense of their totally insane religious beliefs are terrorists , nothing more nothing less!. Edited by Colin Yai

Personally, I'm sick of gutless politicians that would probably never allow their own children to serve in places like Afghanistan, apologising for what is an inevitable consequence of sending testosterone laden young men into an horrific conflict, when the very people that they are sent to "protect" are more likely to kill them than be grateful.

The politicians lost the Afghanistan war long ago- time to admit it can never be won, and get the h_ll out of there.

As for "core values", perhaps the secretary has forgotten what American troops perpetuated in Vietnam- My Lai anyone!