Where For Easy Citizenship And Land Ownership

Plucky

Currently touring SE Asia to find my new home and sat in CM right now.

The only things that put me off Thailand are the visa and land ownership laws.

Coming to the end of my tourist visa and thinking of my destination.

I have been considering Burma, Laos and Cambodia but would appreciate input from thaivisa members as reading this site daily continually shows the depth of knowledge you guys have.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Easy citizenship. Probably another country, LOL.

I'm no expert, but I believe that you have to be able to speak Thai, sing the King's song, and probably have loads of dosh. I also have read that only a certain number of people from any particular country can become Thai citizens in any one year.

On the other hand, I could be thinking of something else.

However, if you qualify for a Non O retirement visa, and have a spare 800,000 baht, that's an easy way to stay permanently, and you can own a condo ( though why anyone would want to is beyond me ). Renting is so cheap here, that it's the obvious way to go.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

From reading the pinned thread on Laos, it appears that gaining citizenship there is as least as difficult as it is in Thailand, requiring 10 years of residency and fluent reading, writing, and speaking of Lao before one can even apply. And there is also a requirement that you relinquish your original nationality.

• Like 2

Are these the only two things you are interested in? How about quality of life? Medical care? Safety? Etc. If so, Thailand's at the top of the list right now.

This is a bit old, but lots of good info if you can wade through it:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/347262-alternative-retirement-destinations-for-expats-other-than-thailand/

Also, peruse the first few pages of this sub forum. A few good discussions on Malaysia and other countries as well....

I suppose the grass is always greener etc.

Visas are difficult ??? Most things are covered, Retirement, Marriage, Education ,Investment. The only area lacking seems to be visas for younger people who haven't got the 10 mil, 40 mil for investment and want to live cheaply in Thailand to "visit the temples".

As far as land ownership is concerned,yes a problem, but perfectly legal to own a condo in the quota system on monies brought into Thailand.

As craig3365 pointed out it other things are important too. If you just want citizenship, not in this region though, St Kitts and Nevis will give for a contribution of 250,000USD, no waiting, I also hear Montenegro is available but do not know the cost.

Personally do not own any land here and after many years does not worry me at all. The thing that does annoy me is the 90 day reporting, but I'll struggle through.

There is absolutely no reason to - and actually lots of reasons against - having one's "citizenship flag" be the same country as where you actually live and/or invest. IMO Thailand and all of its neighbors are all great "playgrounds", but no advantages to getting one of their passports.

What is your current nationality? Are you looking to supplement it with a second one, or renouncing your original citizenship for some reason?

For convenience passports - Montenegro and Austria are the best, the latter more difficult.

Next choices are St Kitts and Dominica, very easy. Then Paraguay, Uruguay and the Dominican Republic, a bit more difficult.

Investing is also a whole other thing, and again, I wouldn't consider any of the countries around here to be good risks due to the lack of decent rule of law and arbitrary changes possible at any time.

If you had limited funds and needed to use the same nest egg for actual investing as well as satisfying the passport requirements, and given the fact that you like this part of the world, I'd say Singapore. It's a great stable and secure nation with decent rule of law (a bit too much for my taste 8-). Apparently they've made things easier recently but certainly have stricter residency requirements than the others I mentioned.

• Like 1

China is a lot easier.

Visa no problem, no 90 day reports.

You can own one property.

But plenty of other problems. Everybody I know who lives there can't wait to get out. Seriously...

I've only spent 6 months there, but would never consider living there permanently. Great place to visit though.

China is a lot easier.

Visa no problem, no 90 day reports.

You can own one property.

Land?

My English friend and his Chinese wife have two properties.

He has a house on the beach, she has an apartment in town.

They told me everyone was allowed to own one property, foreigner or local.

His Visa has to be done through an agent but it lasts 3 years and is not a problem.

They like living there, but find it too cold in the winter, so come to Thailand for 3 months.

He is 67, she is 32. She told me she had plenty of lady friends who would like to be married and own a small shop/business. But no options to fool around, as they took marriage very seriously.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Try Hong Kong . After seven years you can apply for permanent residence , there are government schools and a health service , you can buy land and property and there are plenty of distractions .

Try Hong Kong . After seven years you can apply for permanent residence , there are government schools and a health service , you can buy land and property and there are plenty of distractions .

Have you seen what crappy apartments cost in HK? I can't even imagine what actual dirt would go for.

Have you seen what crappy apartments cost in HK? I can't even imagine what actual dirt would go for.

Yes i have and it is very expensive .Try looking around the quiter islands or the new territories for better deal .

edit - I meant to say quieter islands , no slur on outlying island residents intended .

Edited by onionluke

I have never looked into it, but have a mate living in Malaysia and he tells me that they are very helpful and in fact encourage you to live there. We all know that this is the opposite to the way the Thai's behave.

Visas are difficult ??? Most things are covered, Retirement, Marriage, Education ,Investment. The only area lacking seems to be visas for younger people who haven't got the 10 mil, 40 mil for investment and want to live cheaply in Thailand to "visit the temples".

As far as land ownership is concerned,yes a problem, but perfectly legal to own a condo in the quota system on monies brought into Thailand.

As craig3365 pointed out it other things are important too. If you just want citizenship, not in this region though, St Kitts and Nevis will give for a contribution of 250,000USD, no waiting, I also hear Montenegro is available but do not know the cost.

Personally do not own any land here and after many years does not worry me at all. The thing that does annoy me is the 90 day reporting, but I'll struggle through.

I thought I read somewhere they did away with the investment visa. I could be wrong.ermm.gif

I have never looked into it, but have a mate living in Malaysia and he tells me that they are very helpful and in fact encourage you to live there. We all know that this is the opposite to the way the Thai's behave.

Don't claim to speak for "all" of us. Many of us feel that the Thai could hardly be more welcoming of the foreigners in their midst -- many of whom, let's face it, are somewhat less than salubrious.

Don't claim to speak for "all" of us. Many of us feel that the Thai could hardly be more welcoming of the foreigners in their midst -- many of whom, let's face it, are somewhat less than salubrious.

Agreed. I usually feel quite welcome. More so than pretty much anywhere else in the world. Even more so if I'm buying the drinks. But how different is that from most places in the world. Everybody loves you if your buying. Muslim countries excluded...for the most part.

If you had limited funds and needed to use the same nest egg for actual investing as well as satisfying the passport requirements, and given the fact that you like this part of the world, I'd say Singapore. It's a great stable and secure nation with decent rule of law (a bit too much for my taste 8-). Apparently they've made things easier recently but certainly have stricter residency requirements than the others I mentioned.

Other way around, getting Singapore PR has become much more difficult in the last year. Getting an Employment Pass to work in SG remains ridiculously easy, but residency is administered by a different government agency who are much tougher. I was lucky and go my PR in mid-2010, just before they started ramping up the requirements...

I thought I read somewhere they did away with the investment visa. I could be wrong.ermm.gif

Thought it was only the 3 mill investment visa they stopped ( but people already on it could continue). Personally not looking at investment visa so I might be the one who is wrong.