Alternative Retirement Destinations For Expats (other Than Thailand)

Tejas

Many expats in Thailand are fed up with the "system." Lots of expats have already left. This thread might be useful to those you are currently looking for an alternative to Thailand.

My own research has led me to the following possible alternatives. If you have lived (or visited for an extended period) these places and can talk about them as alternatives to Thailand (the good, bad, ugly) please do so.

Thanks.

VIETNAM

Da Lat

Nha Trang

CAMBODIA

Siem Reap

Phnom Penh

Sihanoukville

Kampot

PHILIPPINES

Baguio

Puerto Galerna

Angeles City

Iloilo City

Boracay

Davao

Dumaguete

Panglao island

ECUADOR

Quito

Esmeraldas

Manta

PANAMA

*any good places?

URUGUAY

*any good places?

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

*any good places?

Duluth, Minnesota,

Unterpfaffenhofen, Bavaria,

Figastretta, Sicily,

Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso,

Cazzoduro, Northern Italy,

Dacca, Bangla Desh,

Tamanrasset, Southern Algeria,

and last not least Vunamami, Papua New Guinea.

• Like 1

Eastbourne

but only the western suburbs!

Have you been drinking too much? Yes, we know you love Thailand.

Fine.....we can live with that. And I can assure you nobody interested in this thread cares.

The subject is about retirement alternatives to Thailand that I listed in the first post.

Is it possible to focus on that and stop the horse shit?

Thank you.

Eastbourne

Thanks for all the stupid, spam replies.........now, if any person with a brain would like to answer the questions, please do. Thanks.

Don't be so <deleted> touchy, you asked for alternative destinations and you got them, Eastbourne is a very popular retirement destination.

If you don't want an answer, then don't ask the question. Can I respectfully suggest that you calm down.

• Like 2

After reading some of your retorts to other posters, I have removed the detailed information that I originally posted. Reasons:

1 - On second look, it did not match your geographic requirements.

2 - Tejas might be a better option for you.

Edited by klikster

Eastbourne

Thanks for all the stupid, spam replies.........now, if any person with a brain would like to answer the questions, please do. Thanks.

Don't be so <deleted> touchy, you asked for alternative destinations and you got them, Eastbourne is a very popular retirement destination.

If you don't want an answer, then don't ask the question. Can I respectfully suggest that you calm down.

OK..........I am calm. I am simply sick and tired of the spam that comes out each time some politically incorrect topic is put online.......here, politically incorrect means anything that assumes Thailand is not great.

Carib..........thanks for the answer..........can you focus on some cities?

Actually, the topic title should be amended but to do so would make it too long. That is why I listed the countries and places that I am hoping people will focus on in the first post.

Yes, there are expat retirement possibilities worldwide. But the ones on the list seem viable for most expats currently living in Thailand.

Some, as you can see, are in Southeast Asia. A few are not.

Personally I am particularly interested in the cities that I listed for Vietnam, Philippines, and Cambodia.

Can we all calm down and start over. Again, this is not about all expat alternatives. It is about the few alternatives listed in the first post.

If you want to talk about all alternatives, please start another post.

Thank you for your positive input.

I have lived in:

Philippines,>> Manila, Cebu, Baguio, Angeles City,

Thailand,>> Bangkok, Pattaya, Jomtien, Pei Mai,

Cambodia,>> Sihanoukville, Phnom Penh.

The next places for me to check out are Vietnam and Burma. (itchy Feet)

IMO Cambodia is probably the best place as long as you dont need a lot of Medical care. Vietnam has a very good Hospital called F.V. If you know what meds you require you can buy most over the counter at very low prices. Even the meds made in Thailand are cheaper here than in Thailand, go figure????

If your Pension or income from Abroad is in U.S.$ then exchange rates are not a problem as the ATM here spit out U.S.$

Even My Thai wife enjoys living here, after her First visit here she said These Khmer People are very nice nothing like I have been told by other Thai's.

I have many fond memories of most of the SEA country's I have lived in.

I hope that helps your Q and put the Trolls to bed.... :)

http://www.fvhospital.com/

Cheers Tony. :D

Well I can of course name cities in the countries mentioned but I think it is easier to get information for the place if the ones living there would tell you something.

Just google something like : Ex-pats in ????, or Retiring in ??? and the forums will show up.

Eastbourne

Fine.....we can live with that. And I can assure you nobody interested in this thread cares.

The subject is about retirement alternatives to Thailand that I listed in the first post.

Thank you.

if you ask horse questions you get horse shit answers. if you are interested in alternatives than you have to provide some background information as specified hereafter. before settling in Thailand i have checked more than a dozen potential countries after having worked and lived in half a dozen different countries and therefore i might be able to render some advice.

-what is your financial status? can you afford to live in Monte Carlo or does it have to be the wilderness in a third world country?

-does it matter whether the country you are planning to live levies income tax?

-are you looking for a country with no age/income restrictions concerning obtaining a residence permit?

-what is your age and physical condition? are you willing to live in a country without access to proper healtcare and perhaps a 10 hour flight if you need a quadruple coronary bypass?

-are you planning to live in a thatched hut or in a 500m² mansion?

-does it matter to you whether domestic servants are available galore at affordable salaries or are you cleaning your house and cook yourself?

to be continued after you answered these questions.

• Like 1

ECUADOR

Quito

Esmeraldas

Manta

Nice place, are they still robbing every bus every day?

Unfortunately South and Central america plus carabbean are not safe places...

Very unfortunate, the language is everywhere the same and very easy for me.....

I would restrict the search to Vietnam and cambodia. Next year i'll try Vietnam.

Probably you should start a new tread more focused, so Naan will not come out with Figastretta....a place not existing anymore in italy... :)

Edited by LamaiCat

I had a look at Costa Rica, but didn't fancy that however after looking at USA (Fl) and Joao Pessoa Nr Recif in the NE of Brazil, I brought properties there.

For $90k you can get some real deals in USA, I paid less than $80 for a brand new 'fully loaded' house on the beach in Joao.

Don't take my word on Costa Rica it is worth having a look.

Good luck

Eastbourne

Thank you.

if you ask horse questions you get horse shit answers. if you are interested in alternatives than you have to provide some background information as specified hereafter. before settling in Thailand i have checked more than a dozen potential countries after having worked and lived in half a dozen different countries and therefore i might be able to render some advice.

-what is your financial status? can you afford to live in Monte Carlo or does it have to be the wilderness in a third world country?

-does it matter whether the country you are planning to live levies income tax?

-are you looking for a country with no age/income restrictions concerning obtaining a residence permit?

-what is your age and physical condition? are you willing to live in a country without access to proper healtcare and perhaps a 10 hour flight if you need a quadruple coronary bypass?

-are you planning to live in a thatched hut or in a 500m² mansion?

-does it matter to you whether domestic servants are available galore at affordable salaries or are you cleaning your house and cook yourself?

to be continued after you answered these questions.

Always one joker in the pack! :)

• Like 1

I had a look at Costa Rica, but didn't fancy that however after looking at USA (Fl) and Joao Pessoa Nr Recif in the NE of Brazil, I brought properties there.

For $90k you can get some real deals in USA, I paid less than $80 for a brand new 'fully loaded' house on the beach in Joao.

Don't take my word on Costa Rica it is worth having a look.

Good luck

Thanks ThailandTommy and Pattayatony and Lamaicat for productive responses to the questions I posed.

I did not put Costa Rica on the list because I thought it was too expensive now for most expats that have already retired in Thailand.)

By that, I mean the ones who are getting a pension between US$1000 - 1800 per month.

There really are lots of expats who are searching for an alternative to Thailand..........I talk to them daily.

So, now adding Costa Rica to the list, can we talk about:

Costa Rica,

Panama,

Ecuador,

Philippines,

Vietnam,

Cambodia

I would add Uruguay to the list but cant' spell it and it seems expensive--getting to be a place for the rich and famous of S. America.

And I have done Chile.........spectacular scenary but the culture did me in.

Who knows Naam, maybe we will conclude Thailand is still the best place to be.

My position is this: If given a viable (fun, relaxed, inexpensive) alternative to Thailand, lots of expats would leave. I am certain of this.

Now, you may or may not agree...........nevertheless, it would be nice to examine the six alternatives listed above--places/cities to live, cost of living, climate, food, women, security, level of xenophobia, visa/business rules, etc.

Maine --- inexpensive land, great lobster, people mostly speak English!

1k-1.8k USD a month is way too low to have any security blanket in expendable income almost anywhere!

I think I know you.............you play the banjo and live in the backwaters of Arkansas.........right?

Now..........back on planet earth............

• Like 1

Maine --- inexpensive land, great lobster, people mostly speak English!

1k-1.8k USD a month is way too low to have any security blanket in expendable income almost anywhere!

I think I know you.............you play the banjo and live in the backwaters of Arkansas.........right?

Now..........back on planet earth............

Nope, I play the cello and live in Chiang Mai, Thailand.

• Like 1

sihanoukville in cambodia, no sh*t visa requirements as in thailand, lovely beaches, many many foreign owned bars and resturaunts, airport coming soon, major port/harbour, road network linked from from vietnam through (maybe snv) to thailand. if you miss thailand then its only a 5 hour ( 4 hour when the better the road) drive back up to the border.

sihanoukville in cambodia, no sh*t visa requirements as in thailand, lovely beaches, many many foreign owned bars and resturaunts, airport coming soon, major port/harbour, road network linked from from vietnam through (maybe snv) to thailand. if you miss thailand then its only a 5 hour ( 4 hour when the better the road) drive back up to the border.

I think it is clear that if you are on a very limited budget and are being pushed out of Thailand due to immigration policies (and want the beach), Sihanoukville is a viable alternative.

But see other posts in the Southeast Asia section on Sihanoukville.........business seems way down...........still no open airport.........no condo units on the beach (coming but not yet).

The potential is certainly there for it to become the next Pattaya. They key word is "potential."

Now.......no big malls......no big condo units........no big Foodland-like stores...........no Western fast food places.........but many bars and hotels (from low end to high end)......good beaches IMHO if they can do something about raw sewerage dumping into the beach area (surely they will do something about it just like Pattaya did).

A big plus is no visa problem at all......the best system in Asia outside of the Philippines.

Thanks for the post.

Cambodia-Kep.

Beautiful area, may be too quiet for you? Sihanoukville isn't far away.

As for visa Cambodia is easy but for how long?

The highway to Viet Nam is under construction. Saigon for medical care is close.

m