That'S Not A Spider....This Is A Spider!

My face walked through a spider web this morning.

It didn't feel like the normal rather disgusting little tug across one's eyes, but more like a parachute snapping when it opens.

In any case I shall do so tonight.....I'd like to know more about this spider (which I've captured it's a a pan with some twigs and leaves).

P4200044.jpg

It has a body 4.5 - 5.0cm long, and it's foot-spread in a normal pose is 16cm.

It has a long body bit like a narrow but fat flash drive, basically black but with a striking yellow pattern.

it has a sort of backpack behind it's shoulders (shoulders?)

Do I feed it insects caught with the tennis zapper?

Any ideas?

Cheeryble

I walked into a golden orb's web once in a bamboo thicket in Indonesia and I then saw the spider as big as my hand next to my face and screamed and fled; and then I stood back and admired it... and then spent the rest of the afternoon on the terrace staring at it with intense concentration...and then a new understanding was reached between an arachnophobe and the spiders, who, after all just want to mind their own business...

Cheeryble.... That is a great photo. Those spiders are common at a small cafe at Op Khan National Park up here in Chiang Mai and they seem unphased by

humans. There are much larger spiders in Thailand however, and I've seen them over 20 cm across up at Doi Pui and Doi Inthanon.

Cheeryble.... That is a great photo. Those spiders are common at a small cafe at Op Khan National Park up here in Chiang Mai and they seem unphased by

humans. There are much larger spiders in Thailand however, and I've seen them over 20 cm across up at Doi Pui and Doi Inthanon.

OK photo isn't it for an 8000 baht Olympus. I think this wasn't even super close-up setting just regular close-up.

BTW this is only medium quality choice for email not full pixels.

While in the army in Oz and doing jungle training in Canungra Queensland I had an encounter with a similar but larger spider, nose to nose! I still wake up screaming!!

Just quietly TPI, screaming like a little girl during a bug encounter is not the image our military likes to project....