Peaches

chiangmaibruce

Just a heads-up for the fruit lovers out there ... Rimp ping s/market (and possibly other places?) have marvellous royal project peaches in stock at the moment.

Very juicy & need to be eaten right away. Fabulous - worth buying a bagful. Priced according to size - from 58baht for pack of four upwards

• Like 1

But these peaches are in season and in 100 bath range can't remember the price may be 70 bath for 4?

I think I can live without Rimping's peaches - royal or not, whilst I can get a pineapple, papaya, bananas, mango's and oranges for 100 baht at a local market

But these peaches are in season and in 100 bath range can't remember the price may be 70 bath for 4?

I think I can live without Rimping's peaches - royal or not, whilst I can get a pineapple, papaya, bananas, mango's and oranges for 100 baht at a local market

Well I'm not too fond of peaches anyway, but you mention they 'are in the 100 baht range'.

I didn't mean each fruit I mentioned was 100Baht, I meant 100 Baht for everything; pineapple 20 Baht, papaya 20 Baht, bananas 15 baht, sweet mango's 35 Baht kg and oranges 30 Baht......oops sorry, that's 120 Baht.

As for Rimping their fruit is overpriced and lord knows what type of polish they use on their apples etc, to fool people into paying inflated prices. Maybe Mr. Sheen available for..........

Edited by uptheos

Peaches in the US happen to be big, beautiful, sweet and delicious. The peaches in CM happen to have very thick skins and the inside is like eating a grape, not much firmness to it. Pineapples can now be bought at local markets for 20 baht, mangos are 20 baht a kilo. You might want to try the local plums....small but quite tasty.....each to his own. Fruit at Rimping is normally 50-100% higher than any other grocery store or local market in CM!!!

• Like 1

58 baht for a pack of four and upwards,

Not a bad price if you like peaches,

Apples can cost you more than that.

It's the price of the Mr Sheen polish and the labour cost in polishing them, that pushes the price of apples up!biggrin.png

Fruit at Rimping is normally 50-100% higher than any other grocery store or local market in CM!!!

Indeed, we very rarely buy fruit there for that reason ... but in this case they are offering quality fruit for a fair price (and no, I don't own shares in the place)

PS: Nice pic Wimpy. I had to stop myself licking the 'puter screen

A smoked coconut I got from Muang Mai market is only 8 - 10 bath each but I still shop at at Rimping almost everyday.

Fruit at Rimping is normally 50-100% higher than any other grocery store or local market in CM!!!

Indeed, we very rarely buy fruit there for that reason ... but in this case they are offering quality fruit for a fair price (and no, I don't own shares in the place)

The peaches in CM happen to have very thick skins and the inside is like eating a grape, not much firmness to it.

You might be talking about the imported one in Rimping, the locally grown peaches from royal project has thin skins firm flesh and flavorful although smaller than what's available in Vancouver.

We do some of our shoping at rimping and the wife goes to the market

for other things, She has no problem picking up certain items in rimping that she can buy at

The local market.

50% to 100% higher than you can pay at any other market in Chiang Mai seems a little bit out of line

almost like some one has some sort of grudge against them.

Can't imagine the amount of time and effort that one would put into comparison price shopping at every

store and local market in Chiang Mai.

Edited by hellodolly

Everyone always says that Rimping is much more expensive than the other super stores. I have not found that to be true. Yes, their produce is higher, but the quality is much better than Big C or Lotus. They have nice hydroponic pre-washed mixed greens. The other stores usually don't, or when they do, it looks pathetic. Other items I buy are often the same or less - sometimes much less. I like Chabaa brand fruit juices. 41 baht a liter at Rimping. Usually over 50 baht at the other super stores. At Rimping they often have 2 for 1 specials on dry cereals. Milk, butter and cheese is about the same. Meats are higher, but again, much higher quality. Their fresh baked gourmet breads are priced comparably to Big C+ and Lotus, but are in a different class altogether. Gilbey's Gin is the same, plus they have the 1 liter bottles, which are a better deal. Unless I am buying 20 rolls of toilet paper, I will choose Rimping over the others every time.

Can't imagine the amount of time and effort that one would put into comparison price shopping at every

store and local market in Chiang Mai.

Not much effort if one have to cook almost everyday.

How about time Chiang Mai is a big city and to have to look all over it would not leave munch time to cook.

I think you probably have a few stores you frequent and really don't look around that munch.

Spot-on!

I just bought 5 kilo of Peaches from a local farmer in the street right out of his truck (mixed sizes) for 75 THB (That's 15 THB per Kilo) and that is what they should cost more or less. Some goes for the freshly harvested Mango's (15 THB p/Kg)

Rimping has some great (imported and local) stuff that no one else has and I'm happy to pay extra for my cravings for imported products.

But sometimes they're over the top.

• Like 1

I just bought 5 kilo of Peaches from a local farmer in the street right out of his truck (mixed sizes) for 75 THB (That's 15 THB per Kilo) and that is what they should cost more or

15 bath per Kilo! I wonder if there were any profit at all!

I personally only shop at Rimping and very little at Tops and Royal project. But I guess many people who have to feed a family might shop around but not all over the city of course.

How about time Chiang Mai is a big city and to have to look all over it would not leave munch time to cook.

I think you probably have a few stores you frequent and really don't look around that munch.

I just bought 5 kilo of Peaches from a local farmer in the street right out of his truck (mixed sizes) for 75 THB (That's 15 THB per Kilo) and that is what they should cost more or

15 bath per Kilo! I wonder if there were any profit at all!

I'm sure you've seen watermelons at 10 baht on the back of parked trucks, where you don't have to pay for it to be polished or listen to classical music to make the price 5 times higher.

These are good and at Thai prices. Until these, I haven't had a decent peach for 20 years.

• Like 2

These are good and at Thai prices. Until these, I haven't had a decent peach for 20 years.

You should get out more often then.

Peaches don't have feet and will not come to you.

Greater Chiang Mai is Thailand's Fruit Garden.

They are out there and have always been out there for you to come and get them.

Look around and you'll find them anywhere during the season, and not just this year.

Quality has always been AAA+

I find them mostly much better than the ones (claimed to be AAA+ also) we get in Europe.

Kiwi fruit from royal project elongated one are also better than the one from New Zealand

Passion fruit is also very good

At Royal project they work very hard to improve the quality of their products.

Quality has always been AAA+

I find them mostly much better than the ones (claimed to be AAA+ also) we get in Europe.

They are out there and have always been out there for you to come and get them.

I tried peaches a few times in Chiang Mai many years ago and they were not up to much, so did not bother with them again until now. Strawberries are still not as good as back home, but have improved over the years. I just wish cantaloupes and avocados were of better quality.