Questions From A Newbie

Sophon

A couple of weeks ago I bought a 2007 Nissan Navara 4wd, and while I no longer consider myself a newbie to Thailand, I am undoubtedly the ultimate newbie as a car owner. As such I find myself with a few questions to ask:

1. Am I supposed to have the blue book with me when I drive around? It seems a little risky to me to do so, as it must surely make life easier for any thief that might take a fancy to my ride if he also has the blue book. So I plan to leave the blue book at home and just have a photo copy of it in the car.
  2. The car has an advertisement sticker for a real estate agent on the back (a friend of the previous owner). Any safe way to remove this sticker without risking damage to the paintwork?
  3. On the topic of stickers, I have seen a number of cars drive around with stickers for business such as B-Quik. I cannot imagine why anyone would want to have such a sticker on their car, so I am wondering if there are businesses that put stickers on your car without asking when you for instance take the car in to have new tyres fitted?
  4. Can anyone recommend a good and reasonably priced garage (Nissan or independent) in Eastern Bangkok? I live on On Nut in the Suan Luang district, but don't mind travelling a little when taking the car in for service.
  5. Speaking of recommendations, can anyone recommend a shop to have a canopy installed in the same area? From what I have read on this forum I would probably prefer a Samitr canopy but Carryboy could also be OK. I would consider both new and second hand.

I know that there was one more question I was supposed to ask, but right now it escapes me (the perils of old age). So I will have to come back to that one. I also have a lot of questions about general maintenance of the vehicle, but that will be the topic for another post.

Your input is much appreciated, as I have quite a sharp learning curve to navigate.

Sophon

...as to #1...it's fine to keep the copy,but I don't even do that...never been ask for it and in case of the theft I wouldn't want the thief to have all the infos(like my address etc)

...#2...there is a special 3M Adhesive Cleaner part no-08984...you just gently pull the sticker and than clean the rest of the gummy deposits with the cleaner...never use any razor or sharp objects...if can't do yourself,get to some good and recommended body shop.Sometimes there could be some discoloration from the sun,than you have to buff it.

...#3...yes,some shops,restaurants etc will put their sticker without asking...if its fresh,it's easy to remove...

...as of the rest,you have to wait for your fellow Bangkokians to answer...

Have Fun and Drive Safe...smile.png

• Like 1

to add to #2, if it's not coming off easily or in small pieces, use a heat gun or a hair dryer on a sticker.

...good point...got to be careful thou not to burn the paint...and there is also a tool with a rubbed disk specially design for this kind of job..

Thanks to all for the replies so far. The question I couldn't remember is:

6. The car has the standard cigarette lighter socket as well as an extra socket that can be used for GPS, mobile phone charger etc. I won't need the cigarette lighter, so can I use the "lighter socket" at times when I need to use both GPS and phone charger at the same time?

Sophon

Thanks to all for the replies so far. The question I couldn't remember is:

6. The car has the standard cigarette lighter socket as well as an extra socket that can be used for GPS, mobile phone charger etc. I won't need the cigarette lighter, so can I use the "lighter socket" at times when I need to use both GPS and phone charger at the same time?

Sophon

Yup as Crossy said. In canada the lighter is now an option if not every but at least many new vehicles. I don't even have one in my pick up.

Am I supposed to have the blue book with me when I drive around ?

A lot of people don't bother with much at all but it is a requirement of an alien to carry a photocopy of :-

Registration blue book.

Passport.

Driving license or carry in wallet.

Insurance although no insurance no road disc.

Any safe way to remove this sticker without risking damage to the paintwork ?

Most stickers will peel off but petrol / washing up liquid has done it for me.

On the topic of stickers ?

Some do some don't, just take em off.

When taking the car in for service ?

I have found 'B.Quick' and 'Cockpit' outlets very good service.

Canopy installed in the same area ?

Couldn't tell you where and it's a personal choice really of both types.

6. has been answered.

What I always do is make a list. biggrin.png

Edited by Kwasaki