Thai Airlines - Hog Wash

jimmym40

Thai Airways is the Thai equivalent of the generous welfare systems of Scandinavia. Health care, housing, money for doing very little, they are all thrown in, even free flights. That's great as long as you or a close family member are working for them and can access it.

Most of this comes from the taxpayer but the paying passengers also have to share the cost.

I can't recall the details but something like everyone who was ever on the board of management can fly for free forever (maybe together with relatives). Every government try to change the people there so there must be a huge amount of people.

There were reports that on some flights the business class was almost full with these non paying guests.

And they tell that is just the most visible problem.....

This is one of the reasons Thai are going backwards. Too many freebies and the paying public have to foot the cost. Hence high route fares. The freebies have to be cut out or put in cattle class.

I flew TG BKK-CAN in filthy ancient business class on an A330 in March, luckily the service made up for the state of the plane. I returned from HKG in a very clean 777-200ER.................. win some, lose some as with all airlines. But for Europe, it's Qatar for me; I enjoy an hour or so to stretch my legs, also 180 lie flat in business class and importantly 35000 baht cheaper!!!

I fly between HK and Bkk regularly and always use Cathay (I'm a one world platinum member). Had to fly TG recently and at how bad it was - no seatback tvs, shabby service etc etc.

Definitely slipped backwards in my view and CX fares are better too.

Direct flights always command a premium. Transiting somewhere tends to be cheaper. It doesn't surprise me you can get cheaper fares from other carriers and Thai appear "uncompetitive from their own hub" as someone put it.

I live in Singapore, and Singapore Airlines, although an excellent carrier, are by far the most expensive route for me to take to London. I fly biz class not economy, and I often choose Thai SIN-BKK-LHR as can be 25% cheaper than flying direct on Sing Air and still part of Star Alliance. I have no particular complaints as the biz class cabins on the London route were upgraded several years ago and are broadly comparable with most other airlines biz class offerings.

If I have to transit, I'd rather do it in BKK than Dubai etc.

Edit: I think TG are better for long haul than short. Some of their regional routes are served by some real old clunkers. So I agree I'd probably try SQ, CX etc where possible.

Edited by Captain Chaos