Is Bangkok In Thailand?......

theblether

Ari is a soulless, crushing, concrete nightmare as I pointed out in a recent post about the area. I lived there for a year or so not too long ago. It's all strip malls and international/local chains and trendy kids running around chittering into expensive mobile phones and so on. Ari is an upper middle-class and upper-class enclave of mostly walled houses and compounds dotted by office buildings and the above and it's not at all representative of the entirety of Bangkok.

You have to get out and around and really get to know a huge city of (unofficially) 10+ million to understand it and the first thing you'll understand, like with all cities this size, is that its segmented by neighborhood and that even with the street-to-street changes in character, most neighborhoods have a relatively distinct and cohesive identity.

This OP sounds more like the musings of a typical tourist who spends time in a few areas, sees Bangkok from taxi and skytrain windows and then declares to the world what it is. "Welp guys, I've seen your 5 star hotels and your 2 star hotels, as well as Soi Cowboy and your hospitals, and your city sucks, bye!" Don't let the door hit you smile.png

I dont think you are understanding the OP at all!wink.png It could be that he sees the chronic drainage system. the blackened cement buildings, spaghetti junction of electricity cables and so forth. He is searching for "some heart" to the city me thinks and not this.

Bangkok-electricity-cables-by-moniquz@flickr.com_.jpg

You dont call this heart? This is pure poetry to me, it is beautiful! Gold shops pharmacies taxis smelly air working class poeple people in nice suits temporary road signs electric cables everywhere post office box and even a fruit stand. So much chaos. Who is on the same page as me?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poetry except when you add in the unsufferable heat, blarring noise and unbreathable air.

It is fun and enjoyable for a minute or so when you are coming on vacation from the West. The novelty fades very quickly.

Or are you telling me you like standing on the road sweating to death as black fumes fill your lung?

The best thing BKK has going is the cost.

Edited by farang000999

Poetry except when you add in the unsufferable heat, blarring noise and unbreathable air.

It is fun and enjoyable for a minute or so when you are coming on vacation from the West. The novelty fades very quickly.

Or are you telling me you like standing on the road sweating to death as black fumes fill your lung?

I'm really surprised about the number of people who are so negative about so many places. The picture seems to show a fairly pleasant middle-class neighbourhood in Bangkok - possibly quite central, since the travel agent has an English sign outside. That looks like there's a greater variety of conveniently useful businesses than the suburb where we stay, thoughthe traffic density and shop density would put us off.

I'm not too bothered about standing at the side of the road blackening my lungs and sweating to death, but it looked like one could fairly quickly get a taxi there.

The wiring was far from the worst I've seen as well, though there was still room for improvement.

SC

I am not complaining but trying to speak the good things i see and feel and I am surely not sweating to death. On the contrary i have learned to adapt and be relaxed with these surroundings. When i feel i am getting sweaty i just stop moving. The fumes never seem to bother me. I feel relaxed and connected with this world so i learned to smile when things are annoying me. Maybe that is the difference between you and me.

I tried my best to explain to you.

last i checked, bragging about your spiritual superiority is a good indictation of lack thereof.

i have been down this street. it is in pratunam. it is where all the wholesalers sell. there are some middle eastern restaurants about and plenty of shady obnoxious characters.

it is probably one of the worst places in bangkok to walk around. absolutely crazy traffic, tons of fumes. if the fumes don't bother you, in all seriousness you might want to get a check up at a ears. nose, throat doctor.

u sound like a keenok farang, no offense.

i go from my apartment to the parking lot and i am sweating. to a shopping mall cause it is the only place you can park in the city. to the lift. sweating again. cant even turn on cold water and shower cause the sun heats it up.

taking taxis and BTS is miserable. if you dont own a car then you cant compare.

last i checked, bragging about your spiritual superiority is a good indictation of lack thereof.

i have been down this street. it is in pratunam. it is where all the wholesalers sell. there are some middle eastern restaurants about and plenty of shady obnoxious characters.

it is probably one of the worst places in bangkok to walk around. absolutely crazy traffic, tons of fumes. if the fumes don't bother you, in all seriousness you might want to get a check up at a ears. nose, throat doctor.

i go from my apartment to the parking lot and i am sweating. to a shopping mall cause it is the only place you can park in the city. to the lift. sweating again. cant even turn on cold water and shower cause the sun heats it up.

I understand you and i just try to show you think different from me. This is why i said a different level, meaning my level could be lower or higher but surely different. The bragging is all in your words, not mine. I am merely interested in why you speak like you do. I am grateful for your reply. Cheers

I understand you and i just try to show you think different from me. This is why i said a different level, meaning my level could be lower or higher but surely different. The bragging is all in your words, not mine. I am merely interested in why you speak like you do. I am grateful for your reply. Cheers

Look what i am trying to tell you is my experience. When the water is too hot to shower i changed my shower rituals from the daytime to the nighttime or the morning and instead of complaining about it. I am just humbly trying to show you a different view, definitely not a higher or lower view.

Ari is a soulless, crushing, concrete nightmare as I pointed out in a recent post about the area. I lived there for a year or so not too long ago. It's all strip malls and international/local chains and trendy kids running around chittering into expensive mobile phones and so on. Ari is an upper middle-class and upper-class enclave of mostly walled houses and compounds dotted by office buildings and the above and it's not at all representative of the entirety of Bangkok.

You have to get out and around and really get to know a huge city of (unofficially) 10+ million to understand it and the first thing you'll understand, like with all cities this size, is that its segmented by neighborhood and that even with the street-to-street changes in character, most neighborhoods have a relatively distinct and cohesive identity.

This OP sounds more like the musings of a typical tourist who spends time in a few areas, sees Bangkok from taxi and skytrain windows and then declares to the world what it is. "Welp guys, I've seen your 5 star hotels and your 2 star hotels, as well as Soi Cowboy and your hospitals, and your city sucks, bye!" Don't let the door hit you smile.png

I dont think you are understanding the OP at all!wink.png It could be that he sees the chronic drainage system. the blackened cement buildings, spaghetti junction of electricity cables and so forth. He is searching for "some heart" to the city me thinks and not this.

You dont call this heart? This is pure poetry to me, it is beautiful! Gold shops pharmacies taxis smelly air working class poeple people in nice suits temporary road signs electric cables everywhere post office box and even a fruit stand. So much chaos. Who is on the same page as me?

Ha ha ha ha!

The man or person who is selling the fruit does not have watermelon. Ha ha ha!!

For sure, you are the troll man.

Ha ha ha ha!

For sure i know who i am talking to now

Ha ha ha ha!

For sure i know who i am talking to now

Ha ha. You are a durian. Ha ha ha ha ha!!

My favorite cities in Thailand are Lampang and Chanthaburi, I really like the "small city" feeling. I don't like Chiang Mai and Korat. I've mix feelings about Pattaya but I really hate Phuket. Hua Hin is ok for a short stay.

I guess everybody is different.

Edited : I like Krabi and I was really disappointed by Samui that I visited two times at almost 20 years interval.

Edited by JurgenG

Congratulation, you've just discovered the difference between a capital and the rest of its country !

You might want to try other local websites and post :

Is New York in US?

Is London in UK ?

All as pointless as yours ...

Congratulation, you've just discovered the difference between a capital and the rest of its country !

You might want to try other local websites and post :

Is New York in US?

Is London in UK ?

All as pointless as yours ...

I think New York is not the capital of the US

My favorite cities in Thailand are Lampang and Chanthaburi, I really like the "small city" feeling. I don't like Chiang Mai and Korat. I've mix feelings about Pattaya but I really hate Phuket. Hua Hin is ok for a short stay.

Edited : I like Krabi and I was really disappointed by Samui that I visited two times at almost 20 years interval.

Phuket isn't a city. It's a province.

If the heat and sweating is such a terrible burden to bear, perhaps Thailand is not the most suitable place for you to take up residence Mr. Farang 000999. There are many places much cooler than here. Its like moving to Siberia and complaining about the cold.

I can't think of any capital city that is really representative of the country.............

KL, Taipei, Port of Spain to name but three.

Bangkok, London, Paris.

Apparentlly in the case of Bangkok, though, and also London, the hinterland is not so representative.

Bangkok is also a province and not a city by your reasoning then :)

Bangkok is also a province and not a city by your reasoning then smile.png

Bangkok is both. Phuket isn't.