A 3 Hour Wait For Foreigners At Heathrow To Get Into Britain

JohnnyGray

What other issues can be identified that makes the UK a third world country? INMO first and last impressions start at the entry airport (like the ensuite in your hotel), which is why I avoid the UK and USA like the plague, sorry to say. Or, should this be a seperate topic?

Heathrow is indeed a pigsty as a member has already commented.I can't comment on the current delays but my impression is that there is a deep problem at the heart of the Border Agency.At Immigration itself I can't fault the individual officers who seem businesslike and polite (far better than the automatons in Bangkok).However for reasons that are hard to explain the whole entry process seems deeply depressing, much more so than Bangkok despite my previous comment.Overall I feel Thai culture at its best works for the entry experience and British culture works against it.Where else in the world for example does one see intimidating notices everywhere warning incoming passengers not to assault staff?

Heathrow is indeed a pigsty as a member has already commented.I can't comment on the current delays but my impression is that there is a deep problem at the heart of the Border Agency.At Immigration itself I can't fault the individual officers who seem businesslike and polite (far better than the automatons in Bangkok).However for reasons that are hard to explain the whole entry process seems deeply depressing, much more so than Bangkok despite my previous comment.Overall I feel Thai culture at its best works for the entry experience and British culture works against it.Where else in the world for example does one see intimidating notices everywhere warning incoming passengers not to assault staff?

Just as personal experience, as someone who actually migrated independently to the UK in 2004 under the now defunct Highly Skilled Migrant Permit, the Home Office simply makes a balls up of immigration policy, so much so, that they even managed to have a High Court case put against them when they retrospectively changed the conditions of exending our HSMP visa's, despite the fact that the extension criteria were clearly laid out when we applied (ie...your first application to get into the UK you WILL need to meed these standards, to extend after three years you WILL need to meet THESE requirements to extend your stay). Talk about moving the goal posts and puts anything that the RTG do in regards to immigration to shame.

As someone born and raised in a country which does immigration well (Australia) and who is a big supporter of the concept, the UK - perhaps more specifically, the Home Office, does just about everything in its powers to stuff it up.

Edited by samran

Apparently things are going to get better, Dodgy Dave has come up with a cunning plan, of course ultimately we know who will end up paying for it....sad.png

"Airport authorities are drawing up a plan to sort out Heathrow's passport chaos by levying higher landing fees to fund more border staff, in a move that is believed to have the backing of David Cameron."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/may/01/heathrow-raise-landing-fees-border?newsfeed=true

On arrival at LHR Terminal 3 for a UK passport holder how do you find the e-passport gates? Is there a separate queue, are they signposted?

I have landed 3 times in last 12 months and never noticed them, with the current chaos it could be a useful option as I have a new passport with the chip.

On arrival at LHR Terminal 3 for a UK passport holder how do you find the e-passport gates? Is there a separate queue, are they signposted?

I have landed 3 times in last 12 months and never noticed them, with the current chaos it could be a useful option as I have a new passport with the chip.

First on your left as you enter the immigration hall, where the old Iris Scan booths were. At least thats where it was 8 weeks ago but they were re doing the whole place.

• Like 1