Jail Chief Transferred As Officials Raid Thai Prison

webfact

Jail chief transferred as officials raid prison

Krissana Thiwatsirikul

The Nation

Nakhon Si Thammarat

30180492-01_big.jpg

NAKHON SI THAMMARAT: -- More than 600 officials yesterday made a predawn surprise search at the Nakhon Si Thammarat Central Prison in their bid to stop this correctional facility from being a base for drug-trafficking gangs.

Some inmates have reportedly paid over Bt350,000 to have an iPhone for use while behind bars there.

The prison's chief Narong Yongnarongdejkul was immediately transferred out of his post yesterday. He appeared under stress throughout the search operation, which started at 3am and ended at around 9am. The search uncovered about 300 cell phones, including iPhones and tablets, 1,700 meth-amphetamine tablets, and one kilo of crystal meth-amphetamine or ice plus many gambling tools and weapons.

"I have tried (to enforce the ban on such stuff) but money power has prevailed," Narong was heard telling Nakhon Si Thammarat police chief Maj General Ronnapong Saikaeo.

Provincial Police Region 8 commander Lt General Santi Pensutra disclosed that the surprise search was arranged after most drug suspects confessed they had ordered illicit drugs from inmates at the Nakhon Si Thammarat Central Prison.

"We are going to determine how the cell phones and illicit drugs got into the prison," he said.

According to an informed source, a cell phone costs between Bt200,000 and Bt250,000 for an inmate at the Nakhon Si Thammarat Prison. A smart phone is more expensive, costing between Bt300,000 and Bt350,000. Inmates who do not own cell phones can rent the devices at between Bt10,000 and Bt18,000 each time.

Ronnapong said he could tell that some officials had brought cell phones into the prison for inmates for a delivery fee of Bt30,000.

"We are preparing to seek arrest warrants for them," he said.

Ronnapong said yesterday's search was a result of months'-long preparations. Police, soldiers and administrative officials joined in the search operation yesterday. Ongoing investigations has shown that two inmates at the Nakhon Si Thammarat Central Prison were responsible for the delivery of a huge amount of illicit drugs, each time worth several million baht.

"Many other inmates are medium and small-scale drug traffickers," Ronnapong said.

Nakhon Si Thammarat Governor Wiroj Jiwarangsan said officials at the Nakhon Si Thammarat Central Prison should be transferred to root out the problem.

Ronnapong said it was clear someone alerted some inmates about yesterday's search in advance.

"We found a short message in a seized cell phone telling the recipient the search would take place in two hours. That meant many banned items might have already been disposed of before the officials arrived," he said. He believed some illicit drugs might have thrown into toilets.

Corrections Department deputy director general Sopon Thitithammapreuk said Surapon Kaewparadai had been appointed chief of the Nakhon si Thammarat Central Prison in place of Narong.

"We will conduct similar surprise searches at other prisons too to check if inmates there have also have banned items in their hands," Sopon said.

Meanwhile, police found 280,000 meth-amphetamine tablets and six kilos of crystal meth-amphetamine in three bags on a public-transport bus that was intercepted at a checkpoint in Phayao.

The bus was targeted in response to tip-offs that illicit drugs were loaded into it.

A five-hour-long investigation showed the illicit-drug-stuffed bags belonged to no passengers and Weerapong sae Wang, a young man hired to label and arrange luggage in the bus, was the most likely suspect.

Police said the investigation was ongoing to determine whether he had any other accomplices.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-23

We can only hope that any prison officials found to be "unusually wealthy" are transferred to a cell.

That should be a pretty full cell! It will never happen. He will just agree to donate a portion of his ill-gotten gains to the "Thai MP Retirement Fund" and all will be good! The prisoners will get their cell phones back, the drugs will flow until the next time some government officials need a new vacation home and all will be right with the world. God I love this country!

• Like 1

While we tend collectively to bag the actions or lack thereof of Thai officialdom its good to see this type on no nonsense action being taken.

I just don't know why they don't go one step further and install cellphone disrupters in prisons as well.

The dumbass award from this post goes to the prisoner who received the raid warning but didn't delete it from his phone... If I were the original sms sender I would be a tad worried at this stage.

• Like 1

While we tend collectively to bag the actions or lack thereof of Thai officialdom its good to see this type on no nonsense action being taken.

I just don't know why they don't go one step further and install cellphone disrupters in prisons as well.

The dumbass award from this post goes to the prisoner who received the raid warning but didn't delete it from his phone... If I were the original sms sender I would be a tad worried at this stage.

Very good point Monty and I have often wondered the same about disrupters. Guards should also be required to leave their phones in a secure lockup before their shift. If a problem is suspected, then the guards should be randomly searched before entering the prison.

Narong Yongnarongdejkul was immediately transferred out of his post yesterday
said officials at the Nakhon Si Thammarat Central Prison should be transferred to root out the problem

transferred where?

"I have tried (to enforce the ban on such stuff) but money power has prevailed," Narong was heard telling Nakhon Si Thammarat police chief Maj General Ronnapong Saikaeo.

Poor man. He tried to ban phones and drugs, etc, but the inmates kept paying him not to. Those pesky inmates! Even in prison they're poisoning people's minds.

Actually a good deal.....you get some millions. Than you'll be transferred to an inactive position so you have time to enjoy your money....

• Like 1

Once you are an Thailand Government employee, doesn't seem to matter you you do, you only get transferred.

Cops that get caught as blatant drug traffics, get transferred. Not arrested and Jailed.

• Like 2

Maybe the govt should just turn the prison into a Call Center. There would be little upfront cost if requiring the prisoners to use their own cell phones/tablets. This would also provide job training. To keep the prisoners motivated in the job the govt may also want to provide the prisoners a percentage on every sale (whatever the govt decides the Call Center will sell) to build-up a nest egg to start their new life after prison.

This could be a major step in turning Thailand into a Call Center Hub....well, just as soon as the rest of the world learns how to speak Thai so they can understand the Call Center sales reps.

• Like 2

To a less lucrative one. Maybe front gate guard at an unused private VIP residence.

Just like the hospitals and pseudoephedrine- cats guarding the canary!

Often corrupt policemen will be transfered to Naraitwat. In our soi (in Bangkok) is one....the biggest house, well house, it is a palace, 3 new Mercedes...he also got transferred to the deep south. But just for limited time. I think you can get a transfer back for some financial aid to the decision maker.

• Like 1

When a prisoner arrives at the prison, they should make sure he doesn't have any valuables (watch, jewelry, and MONEY) on him. All of that should be taken and put in storage and, of course, returned to him if he ever gets out. Prisoners should not be allowed to have money like 200,000 baht while in prison. Now, they need to search the entire prison and relieve all prisoners of their money.

Maybe the govt should just turn the prison into a Call Center. There would be little upfront cost if requiring the prisoners to use their own cell phones/tablets. This would also provide job training. To keep the prisoners motivated in the job the govt may also want to provide the prisoners a percentage on every sale (whatever the govt decides the Call Center will sell) to build-up a nest egg to start their new life after prison.

This could be a major step in turning Thailand into a Call Center Hub....well, just as soon as the rest of the world learns how to speak Thai so they can understand the Call Center sales reps.

Well they are already trained sales guys and know how to lead a business. You just need to teach them to sell insurances and investments instead of drugs.

Can't be so difficult.....

Across the road from me is a retired prison officer, his wife runs the Mum and Pop shop, he runs the local gambling school. His next door neighbour is the local drug dealer. Everyone knows including the police, nothing changes.

Poor man. He tried to ban phones and drugs, etc, but the inmates kept paying him not to. Those pesky inmates! Even in prison they're poisoning people's minds.

Transferred or arrested?

To a less lucrative one. Maybe front gate guard at an unused private VIP residence.

Often corrupt policemen will be transfered to Naraitwat. In our soi (in Bangkok) is one....the biggest house, well house, it is a palace, 3 new Mercedes...he also got transferred to the deep south. But just for limited time. I think you can get a transfer back for some financial aid to the decision maker.

Transferred untilt eh heat dies down, then invited back to continue as normal..

Across the road from me is a retired prison officer, his wife runs the Mum and Pop shop, he runs the local gambling school. His next door neighbour is the local drug dealer. Everyone knows including the police, nothing changes.

Perhaps they should try buddhism to relieve them from these evils..

Transferred untilt eh heat dies down, then invited back to continue as normal..

Not invited back...I guess he must pay his way back.

Promotions at the Thai Police always costs money. Some specific jobs where you can make money costs money.

They are corrupt to the bones, inside and outside.

Very good point Monty and I have often wondered the same about disrupters. Guards should also be required to leave their phones in a secure lockup before their shift. If a problem is suspected, then the guards should be randomly searched before entering the prison.

Disrupters would destroy the supply and demand for B200,000 phones.

Far out.....You are a funny guy. I am still laughing. Good call (no pun intended)

Money goes a long long way in prison as it does in every country, not just Thailand.

But drug dealing inmates aside, I know that any inmate in BK Hilton can opt for his own room instead of a shared room by paying the sum of 100.000 THB a month, for this amount you will UBC installed in your cell too.

He then can also order an additional 3 *-meal from any hotels' restaurant in BK at a small surcharge, which will be delivered in his cell the same day.....

Money goes a long long way in prison as it does in every country, not just Thailand.

But drug dealing inmates aside, I know that any inmate in BK Hilton can opt for his own room instead of a shared room by paying the sum of 100.000 THB a month, for this amount you will UBC installed in your cell too.

He then can also order an additional 3 *-meal from any hotels' restaurant in BK at a small surcharge, which will be delivered in his cell the same day.....

So that´s why it´s called Bangkok Hilton?laugh.png

• Like 1