Damaged Stereo

samran

Hi all,

Well, one of my pride and joys, the amp of my surround sound stereo was damaged in transit.

Looks like it is only the the metal casing that has been bent about a bit, plus one small little wire plug attached to one part of the electronics inside (which I discovered after I took the casing off.

The question is, where to fix it? I suppose I could go to the Sony shop, but that would be the most expensive option. Any recommendations for anywhere else in town, such as particular shop at pantip, which could perhaps replace the plug and do a bit of a diagnostic check on my amp.

Thanks

Samran

What brand is your amplifier? If it's Sony, and a model not sold in Thailand, Sony Thailand will most likely not service it. I don't think there's anything you can do about the chassis other than to order it to the manufacturer as a spare part and have it replaced. What exactly is that "wire plug"? Part of speaker or interconnect terminal? If it's an industry standard part you probably can have some non-Sony shop source the parts and service it for you. I once had my Sansui integrated amplifier I brought from Japan fixed at Marantz importer/distributor in Pahurat area of Bangkok when I was moving it out of my condo and accidentally had its dangling power cable caught between elevator inside and outside doors, tearing the cable apart as the lift went down. Marantz distributor (I think it's called MSZ if not MRZ) had the power cable replaced with a new one for a few hundred baht.

If Sony does not service your amp, try Hi-Fi Center where the old Big C once stood, next to new Big C opposite Central World Plaza (formerly WTC) on Rajdamri Rd. MSZ showroom is also there.

Didn't you get your shipment from UK insured? If it's insured, you might just clam insurance and get a new amp.

Edited by Nordlys

Nordlys,

Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately, it was partly my fault it was damaged. I bought it up from OZ just recently (in a box on the plane). I probably didn't pack it as solidly as I could have, and though it was marked fragile, it was still bunged around.

Will check out Hi-fi world and see what they can do for us. It is actually around the area where I bought it anyway!

In my experience the only place to go is the manufacturer's own service

centre.

Other people will faff about and say they cannot get spares.

The manufacturer' trained staff will know where to order spares and the

job will be done in a few days. The cost is usually very reasonable as well.