Monthly Cost Of Living In Phuket

petercallen

>>I'm in California right now though and gas, wine and many things are a lot cheaper than Thailand.

I was in KL a few weeks back and besides adult beverages, I found KL to be quite a bit cheaper than Phuket, not that I would live there, but Phuket is not the bargain it was years ago.

Phuket is probably the most expensive place to live in Thailand

How does KL compare to Bangkok

My vote goes for Samui, everything has to be taken in via the ferry

even krabi beach area is more. 7/11 prices are much higher there than Phuket

I agree about Ko Samui it is more expensive than Phuket, but still not to bad

compared to some other countries Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia ETC

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PC, nice to meet you. Ive decided to shift in with you for a month and see firsthand how the heck you can live on 30K Baht a month. Im in BKK and have given up on budgeting on a monthly basis. I am here as expat and earn an indecent salary with tax benefits but would dearly love to get some discipline into my living costs...

My rent is 55K per month Cable electricity and a water bill that defies any logic, rhyme or reason probably takes that to 60K. I give my Gf about 20K every month and send home for the children about 110K a month as well.

Try and bank/ save money for rainy day but cannot seem to get food/ insurances/ drinks and social life below 100K per month.

So welcome to your new roomy for a while....

Whats your address. will be there Saturday.... cheers

You would get a nice villa with a large pool for 55K in Phuket

You spend or save over 290K a month or Over $9300 in Thailand

I find that hard to beleive but you hear a lot of strange things on forums

Quite right,I have a very nice villa with a large pool in Phuket,for 55,000/Month!

PC, nice to meet you. Ive decided to shift in with you for a month and see firsthand how the heck you can live on 30K Baht a month. Im in BKK and have given up on budgeting on a monthly basis. I am here as expat and earn an indecent salary with tax benefits but would dearly love to get some discipline into my living costs...

My rent is 55K per month Cable electricity and a water bill that defies any logic, rhyme or reason probably takes that to 60K. I give my Gf about 20K every month and send home for the children about 110K a month as well.

Try and bank/ save money for rainy day but cannot seem to get food/ insurances/ drinks and social life below 100K per month.

Quite right,I have a very nice villa with a large pool in Phuket,for 55,000/Month!

My mortgage is 120k a month then the usual bills start :(

>>I'm in California right now though and gas, wine and many things are a lot cheaper than Thailand.

I was in KL a few weeks back and besides adult beverages, I found KL to be quite a bit cheaper than Phuket, not that I would live there, but Phuket is not the bargain it was years ago.

Phuket is probably the most expensive place to live in Thailand

How does KL compare to Bangkok

My vote goes for Samui, everything has to be taken in via the ferry

even krabi beach area is more. 7/11 prices are much higher there than Phuket

I agree about Ko Samui it is more expensive than Phuket, but still not to bad

compared to some other countries Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia ETC

But Chiang Mai is the least expensive! During our years in Phuket we would spend circa 130/140k a month on average, but since our move back to Chiang Mai our costs have now halved. Our rent here is one third cheaper, our utility costs have decreased by 75% and of course restaurant costs are also much less expensive, all other costs however are comparable except cinema ticket prices which have increased by 50% at least. I think much of the higher cost of living associated with Phuket comes from lifestyle and perhaps a need to escape "island fever" periodically.

Well what to say the jury has spoken about the cost of living and our existence on Phuket, but I allow me, “There is a time for everything in life” also in Phuket.

Deep, very deep.

So deep in fact, that a thicko like me doesn't have the first idea what you are talking about.

Any cerebral types out there that can translate?

I'll take a stab at it.

"The smoker you drink, the player you get".

Nah...it means "You may think you're everybody but you're only a few because I'm some of them"

My mortgage is 120k a month then the usual bills start :(

My sister pays that in England,for a 6 bed,600 year old barn conversion worth about one million pounds sterling!

Where exactly do you live?

"But Chiang Mai is the least expensive! During our years in Phuket we would spend circa 130/140k a month on average, but since our move back to Chiang Mai our costs have now halved. Our rent here is one third cheaper, our utility costs have decreased by 75% and of course restaurant costs are also much less expensive, all other costs however are comparable except cinema ticket prices which have increased by 50% at least. I think much of the higher cost of living associated with Phuket comes from lifestyle and perhaps a need to escape "island fever" periodically."

I had a house a couple of years back in Ployburin,next to Chiang Mai Land and it was 25k per month,less than half the rent I pay now for a much bigger place!

That was on a 6 month contract as well,not the usual 12 months,I think that was 23k per month!

Am in nai harn, and the value of our property is much less. Am fairly young and get paid well so have chosen the high payment shorter term option.

Did you do the overseas financing bit? Most everyone that I know just pays cash as getting a loan for a foreigner is difficult these days, even if the land is in the Mrs. or company name.

Am in nai harn, and the value of our property is much less. Am fairly young and get paid well so have chosen the high payment shorter term option.

Did you do the overseas financing bit? Most everyone that I know just pays cash as getting a loan for a foreigner is difficult these days, even if the land is in the Mrs. or company name.

No, got a good finance deal from the bank (scb) just before the crash a few years ago. Not bad considering at the time I didn't have a work permit was not married and my partner didn't work.

I have also noticed that a higher number of private developers are offering there own finance packages for foreign buyers, some interest free for upto 5-7 years

No, got a good finance deal from the bank (scb) just before the crash a few years ago. Not bad considering at the time I didn't have a work permit was not married and my partner didn't work.

I have also noticed that a higher number of private developers are offering there own finance packages for foreign buyers, some interest free for upto 5-7 years

wow thats pretty impessive...very hard to get bank loans now for Falang. I think HSBC were offering loans to Falang buying homes in Thailand, not sure of the conditions though. Like you said current options are from the developers but "interest free" just means they have added the interest to the purchase price. Exactly the same as Free Car, Free CAM service for X years, Free furniture etc etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Cost of living Monthly

rental - 12000thb

wirelesss - 750thb

water & electric - 4000thb

food thai food 70- 2100thb

ciggerates(L&M) - 58*30 = 1740thb

groceries - 2000thb

car gas full tank - 1400thb

Total Expenses - 24000thb

I would appreciate greatly if anyone can teach me to go lower than this, Surfing net most of the time, watching online movie , gym , swimming...very lazy lifestyle.

Many thanks.

Cost of living Monthly

rental - 12000thb

wirelesss - 750thb

groceries - 2000thb

I would appreciate greatly if anyone can teach me to go lower than this, Surfing net most of the time, watching online movie , gym , swimming...very lazy lifestyle.

Many thanks.

I can tell you how to reduce your expenses by exactly 1740 Baht, but I don't think you want to hear it. biggrin.png

Cost of living Monthly

rental - 12000thb

wirelesss - 750thb

groceries - 2000thb

Many thanks.

A monastic existence indeed. No mention of a few beers or wine, cost of your gym, annual insurance/tax for your car. Diet doesn't appear to be particularly healthy, with one 70 baht Thai meal per day for 30 days? Obviously not many sick buffaloes are going to come knocking at your door methinks...........biggrin.png

Cost of living Monthly

rental - 12000thb

wirelesss - 750thb

groceries - 2000thb

Many thanks.

A monastic existence indeed. No mention of a few beers or wine, cost of your gym, annual insurance/tax for your car. Diet doesn't appear to be particularly healthy, with one 70 baht Thai meal per day for 30 days? Obviously not many sick buffaloes are going to come knocking at your door methinks...........biggrin.png

True, but if it means he doesn't have to wake up and go to work every day in the cold and rain and he's happy, then it sounds like a perfectly adequate budget to me. wink.png

One of the hardest things in life is learning how to enjoy the simplest things, which invariably don't involve any money. I'm not very good at it myself yet, low boredom threshold sad.png but if 'happyfish88' is and he doesn't need lots of money to be happy, then fair play to him thumbsup.gif .

• Like 1

One of the hardest things in life is learning how to enjoy the simplest things, which invariably don't involve any money.

I do agree with that, and it is feasible to have an enjoyable lifestyle here that doesn't' have to cost the earth. Doing some form of physical activity, apart from the health benefits, is usually a low cost item. Most early mornings I'm doing a few circuits of Kathu reservoir on my bike, with fantastic views, peace and quiet, and saying hello to the dozen or so regular people as we pass each other who're also doing some form of exercise there. Cost is zero, satisfaction priceless.

• Like 1

Cost of living Monthly

rental - 12000thb

wirelesss - 750thb

groceries - 2000thb

Many thanks.

u keep eating that amount and you will be dead in a year .....i think u need to really concentrate on exactly how much you spend and write it down on a daily basis ...thumbsup.gif hard to believe what you have posted ...

One of the hardest things in life is learning how to enjoy the simplest things, which invariably don't involve any money.

I do agree with that, and it is feasible to have an enjoyable lifestyle here that doesn't' have to cost the earth. Doing some form of physical activity, apart from the health benefits, is usually a low cost item. Most early mornings I'm doing a few circuits of Kathu reservoir on my bike, with fantastic views, peace and quiet, and saying hello to the dozen or so regular people as we pass each other who're also doing some form of exercise there. Cost is zero, satisfaction priceless.

Exercise is probably the best example. Plus any other hobbies that once you have paid out for the equipment once, is free from that day on. People on smaller budgets need to ask themselves, what would they rather be doing, going to work every day to make ends meet in the expensive west or spending your days doing exercise, hobbies, picnics on the beach, walks through the jungle, reading a book in the park etc etc. All things that cost nothing but are far better than going to work every day IMO.

Cost of living Monthly

rental - 12000thb

wirelesss - 750thb

groceries - 2000thb

Many thanks.

u keep eating that amount and you will be dead in a year .....i think u need to really concentrate on exactly how much you spend and write it down on a daily basis ...thumbsup.gif hard to believe what you have posted ...

I agree. Does the car never need an extra baht or two thrown at it for whatever reason? Do you never have to visit the dentist, doctor or cover anything medical related? You don't need to buy any clothes, don't need to buy cleaning supplies,toiletries etc.? These add up believe it or not. Are there no annual payments that need to get factored in here (ie insurance). Do you not ever go on a weekend holiday where now you have extra gas, lodging and other supplementary expenses that come into play? Just sayin...............

I agree. Does the car never need an extra baht or two thrown at it for whatever reason? Do you never have to visit the dentist, doctor or cover anything medical related? You don't need to buy any clothes, don't need to buy cleaning supplies,toiletries etc.? These add up believe it or not. Are there no annual payments that need to get factored in here (ie insurance). Do you not ever go on a weekend holiday where now you have extra gas, lodging and other supplementary expenses that come into play? Just sayin...............

I think when a lot of people are discussing their budget, they talk about the regular payments that are the same week in week out. I think it's safe to say they will need to add on random expenses here and there through the year. Yes these all add up to quite a bit but they aren't as easy to list on a thread like this as the regular payment are.

Rather than pick people up on the things they haven't mentioned it would probably be a lot easier to just take it for granted that they exist and assume that the budget is just the basic regulars. You can then add on a few quid yourself if you want to get a more accurate picture.

Very few people are ever totally aware of exactly what they spend each year and that's not such a bad thing. Yes you need to budget well enough so that you are in control of your finances, but most people don't like to be so anal that they can account for every single penny. As long as you have more coming in than going out it's all good IMO.

Cost of living Monthly

rental - 12000thb

wirelesss - 750thb

groceries - 2000thb

Many thanks.

Your elec and water bill seem v high for a 12,000 bht rented home.

he has no mention of Visa runs and associated fees....bike /car rego and maint . health insurance or trips to the doctor , pharmacy expenses , condoms and what he has no gf ? does she not eat ? the true figure is probably double what he states, i think he is dreaming or does not want to count ...a budget is a budget if you include everything not just somethings .....

Cost of living Monthly

rental - 12000thb

wirelesss - 750thb

groceries - 2000thb

Many thanks.

20 fags a day as well....

• 3 weeks later...

Try to keep the expenses down but never works and have been living here for 5 years now. I like my little "luxuries" and don't see a need to scrimp and save when I've worked hard all my life.

An estimate of my outgoings as follows:- MONTHLY

Rent 13k; Elect 1k; Health Insurance 6k; Petrol 2k; Wine 9k; Food shopping 15k; Meals out 4k; Tennis lessons 5k; Massages 12k; Nights out 16k; Total is 83k per month.

Don't really eat Thai food and farang food can be expensive.

Anyway as has already been stated in various ways, we are all different, so the reality of such a discussion is much the same as debating how many fairies can fit on the head of a pin.

Electricity 1 k ----are you using fan only....my bill cost 5K a month..

Wine 9 k ------...mmmm...totally agreeing with ya.

tongue.png

Big 3 bedroom house in Phuket Town on 1/2 rai of wooded land = 10,000 Baht per month

Electricity = 3,000 Baht

Phone + internet = 2,500 - 3,000 Baht

Food = 8,000 - 10,000 Baht

Gasoline = varies greatly

I barely drink, but I do get a few bottles of wine every month = probably 2,000 Baht

I work and have a work permit, so I get social security medical care at the Mission FOC.

I don't chase women (huge savings I'm sure) tongue.png

I never added this up before, but I live a really good life, eat out all the time (almost exclusively Thai food) and travel quite a bit. My street has at least a dozen wonderful restaurants that I walk to. I usually eat out for lunch every day. It's usually 50 - 60 Baht including a drink.

Big 3 bedroom house in Phuket Town on 1/2 rai of wooded land = 10,000 Baht per month

Electricity = 3,000 Baht

I barely drink, but I do get a few bottles of wine every month = probably 2,000 Baht

I work and have a work permit, so I get social security medical care at the Mission FOC.

I never added this up before, but I live a really good life, eat out all the time (almost exclusively Thai food) and travel quite a bit. My street has at least a dozen wonderful restaurants that I walk to. I usually eat out for lunch every day. It's usually 50 - 60 Baht including a drink.

What street do you live on and which area?

Cost of living Monthly

rental - 12000thb

wirelesss - 750thb

groceries - 2000thb

Many thanks.

20 fags a day as well....

His budget looks good, expect for the fags of course tongue.png

Electricity = 3,000 Baht

What street do you live on and which area?

Rasada area, about a kilometer down Thanon Rasdanusorn. We've been here for quite a while (something like ten years). Our rent just went up last year from 9,500 Baht to 10,000 Baht.

My neighborhood used to be very quiet, but now it's very busy. Still, with that comes a host of great restaurants. My house is still quiet as it's tucked behind some shops.