Bogus Beggars Around Bangkok

upinthesky

About 4 months ago, myself and my wife were in a branch of Bangkok Bank at a well known shopping Mall near our home, next to us was an old lady having problems with putting money into the CDM, my wife assisted her, and she credited about 6,000 baht into an account, about 1 hour later we saw the same woman on the steps of the bridge next to the shopping Mall begging for money, with bandages on her hands, they were not there earlier.....

I didn't know that 'beggar' is a profession here in Thailand.

Yep. Clear a tourist bar of 100-200 baht in under 5 minutes or 200-300 baht for a days work.

Not to the same amount of money, but you see all the blind singing beggars in the cooked food market here taking about 100 baht in 10 minutes from people eating, then go down to the corner where there is no stalls/tables and there they are counting their money with a miraculous temporary regain of sight. There will be genuine blind beggars as well as other genuine beggars, but these people stop you wanting to give to them.

As many others have said there are plenty of gangs operating teams of beggars especially the child beggars, but again these stop you wanting to give.

Oh and the guy here who my wife has twice offered a job, but he declined due to not having the time yet when I was giving him a som tam and 20 baht a day he turned up here most the day and night. He may have a mental illness as plenty of homeless people here seem to be suffering from, but the cocky smirk on his face as the stupid farang was giving him money just suggests to me it's more to do with laziness.

Oh and yes I've seen a young farang begging near either the MRT or BTS, I can't remember which, when walking back from JJ market.

I don't give to beggars either because everyone knows a lot of them are connected with scams and being exploited like slaves. I feel pity for these victims and they will be beaten if they don't collect enough, but giving them money is giving money to slave masters. I wish people could get official certification as real beggars. Not saying I have a lot of money to give to even real beggars but I think people inclined to give would be more confident in giving. I see a role for beggars, if nothing else to make the givers assuage guilt over their relative wealth.

• Like 1

Starbucks Tuna salad sandwiches are quite good - but a little light on the tuna for the price. However, beggars can't be choosers, so not bad for free.

Here we have an example for "I prefer to starve over eating McDonalds".

• Like 1

I have found a way to sort out those from greed from those of need,

offer the beggars to suck for 50 baht and you get a clear picture,

as a bonus they also do something useful in return.

?? What on earth are you talking about? Propositioning street beggars for oral sex?

Pervert

At the end of the day, as a punter you have a simple choice - give them money or not. What they do with it - whether it's spent on food, booze or the latest iPad - is not your concern, surely?

Totally disagree.

If a druggie/drunk asks me for cash that s/he's going to spend on drink or even more dangerous substance abuse I'm not helping them by complying and will definitely give them something useful but not convertable to cash instead.

With these specific cases, the cash you give them is 99% going to their evil abusers so again you're just perpetuating the evil.

How are you in total disagreement with me.

I stated quite clearly that the business of begging is no different from any other economic transactions. Someone asks you for money in return for nothing. Not the most rivetting business proposition, I know, but it is a proposed business transaction, nonetheless.

Once you hear the offer, you either choose to accept or reject.

Seems pretty black and white to me. As i said, whether they choose to use the money to shoot heroin into their eyeballs or to upgrade the leather seating in their Ferrari is - to me - pretty moot.

I have as little interest in how they use the money I give them as I care about the money I pay for a bottle of water in 7-11. I'm interested solely in the proposition and business transaction as it affects me.

At the end of the day, as a punter you have a simple choice - give them money or not. What they do with it - whether it's spent on food, booze or the latest iPad - is not your concern, surely?

Totally disagree.

If a druggie/drunk asks me for cash that s/he's going to spend on drink or even more dangerous substance abuse I'm not helping them by complying and will definitely give them something useful but not convertable to cash instead.

With these specific cases, the cash you give them is 99% going to their evil abusers so again you're just perpetuating the evil.

I stated quite clearly that the business of begging is no different from any other economic transactions. Someone asks you for money in return for nothing. Not the most rivetting business proposition, I know, but it is a proposed business transaction, nonetheless.

Seems pretty black and white to me. As i said, whether they choose to use the money to shoot heroin into their eyeballs or to upgrade the leather seating in their Ferrari is - to me - pretty moot.

I have as little interest in how they use the money I give them as I care about the money I pay for a bottle of water in 7-11. I'm interested solely in the proposition and business transaction as it affects me.

They force babies to sit out there all day.

It's more than a transaction.

Starbucks Tuna salad sandwiches are quite good - but a little light on the tuna for the price. However, beggars can't be choosers, so not bad for free.

I was thinking the same thing. Beggers probably think It's so bad that they wont eat it. That stuff will kill you. Better buy safer thngs like y*ba lol biggrin.png

I must say that every time I have to use a bridge in Bkk I dread the thought of how many beggers I must say no to. It's realy irritating. I'll walk out of my way to avoid bridges if at all possible.

Is this about making us think you are good man for offering them a meal?coffee1.gif

I want to buy them a free meal isn't make me a good man. I thought they were starving

If they hang around Starbucks, they are not starving. Just trying to exploit stupid tourists.

I was thinking the same thing. Beggers probably think It's so bad that they wont eat it. That stuff will kill you. Better buy safer thngs like y*ba lol biggrin.png

I must say that every time I have to use a bridge in Bkk I dread the thought of how many beggers I must say no to. It's realy irritating. I'll walk out of my way to avoid bridges if at all possible.

you can just ignore them .........

a monk in orange robe actually came up to me begging once with a taxi driver ,the monk held out his hand as if i was going to give him money ...........

i grabbed his hand ,shook it and says " its a pleasure to meet you .sir " and went on my way

i watched and the next people he begged were thai ,and they did give him some money .....

a monk in orange robe actually came up to me begging once with a taxi driver ,the monk held out his hand as if i was going to give him money ...........

i grabbed his hand ,shook it and says " its a pleasure to meet you .sir " and went on my way

i watched and the next people he begged were thai ,and they did give him some money .....

one approached my mother. My wife saw it, and shouted at him to piss off....fake monk....

Better yet, jank out your dick and place in their hand wai.gif

Totally disagree.

Totally, that's how, I don't agree with a single one of your statements. If you're just stirring, fine, I'll play along anyway just in case you misunderstood.

No, they are offering to take my money in exchange for the pleasure I feel about myself in helping another human being, in this case one whose life is even more pitiful than mine.

In order for me to get that feeling, speaking only for myself, it is necessary for me to feel that I am actually helping them, not participating in the evil things that are screwing up their lives.

Same principle applies when I don't let my kids eat all the junk food their mother brings them on the infrequent occasions she deigns to visit them, and ask her to please bring along some fruit or a carton of milk instead.

Better yet, jank out your dick and place in their hand wai.gif

Often on TV you come across a character and can't help but think it's time he went back to his own country before things deteriorate for him much further . . .

No, they are offering to take my money in exchange for the pleasure I feel about myself in helping another human being, in this case one whose life is even more pitiful than mine.

Ahhhhhh . well you see this is the root of our disagreement. I've yet to find a beggar who's life is more pitiful than mine.

I say, choose your beggars, and although I prefer to give money to buskers , music brightens up the street , poverty is no easy street and I will trust my gut feeling when deciding if I can donate a bit of cash to beggar .

A few years ago, i was approached in Kho San Road by a monk asking for money, he moved off after i gave hin Bht50. Then a young farang lady told me that i was scammed as no monk would ask for money. I have never seen this since and never thought to ask if it is true.

A few years ago, i was approached in Kho San Road by a monk asking for money, he moved off after i gave hin Bht50. Then a young farang lady told me that i was scammed as no monk would ask for money. I have never seen this since and never thought to ask if it is true.

So you mean to say you like to give away your money? Or do you mean to say you don't care. The OP didn't know this was going on so his statement is legit instead of yours.

The young farang lady was correct. A monk cannot come up to you and ask for money.

The fake monk scam is one of the worst scams. There's a guy who dresses up in a habit on sukhumvit road and collects money from the drunk tourists in the early hours. People like that make me sick.