Physical Assault By Bangkok Taxi Driver

freakingcat2

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The so-called complaint lines are a waste of time.

In most cases they are not interested and will fob the complainant onto somewhere else and you will find the same applies with the police unless someone is seriously injured or killed. Even then they maybe reluctant to come out. Hardly worth the effort of making a phone call.

The golden rules when taking a taxi here in Thailand are:

In unmetered cabs, always agree a fare before making the journey, than there can no disputes later on at the destination.

For metered taxis, always insist that the meter is switched on and running, then during the journey keep an eye on the meter to see that the thing is in operation. If the driving refuses for any reason not to apply the meter or the meter is not running, than bid your farewells and try another taxi.

In Thailand as far as farangs are concerned, some taxi drivers automatically consider that if his/her farang passengers do not bother to agree a price before the journey begins or insist that the meter is turned on, than they are willing to pay whatever the driver asks at the destination. It`s a sort of unwritten policy and just the way it`s done here. Perhaps in this case the driver became aggressive because he believed he was being cheated although of course it was him that was doing all the cheating, but failed to realise this fact.

I have heard stories that some of the meters are rigged or will take the gullible farang on a grand tour so as to run up more money on the meter, plus there have been reports of foreign passengers robbed and murdered. So you use these taxis at your own risk and discretion.

Personally, I try to avoid taxis and use other means of transport when possible.

Like a Tuk Tuk ! cheesy.gif

Since everyone is enunciating taxi Do's & Don'ts, may I ask what's the policy on music ?

I thought since you were the customer, you could request to stop the crackling Thai stereo pumping right behind your skull for they usually have the speakers behind the back seat...Had several refusals

Please advise

Tx

Amphibian yours

Edited by aneliane

I see some peeps are telling the OP they never had problems with taxi drivers - well lucky them. But I hope they don't also go around telling gang rape victims that they were personally never raped in LOS. smile.png

AH yes could you please tell me how many rape victims have posted it here and how you come to put them in the same category ?

Maybe he was gang raped in a BKK taxi? bah.gif

I see some peeps are telling the OP they never had problems with taxi drivers - well lucky them. But I hope they don't also go around telling gang rape victims that they were personally never raped in LOS. smile.png

AH yes could you please tell me how many rape victims have posted it here and how you come to put them in the same category ?

I feel the worse element of travel in a taxi is the strong musky odour from the drivers feet, fungal infections are endemic to taxi drivers

About six months ago I was battered by a taxi driver and six of his mates ,I was hammered drunk coming out of a club in the city ,splashing cash like a idiot ,was more than likely pegged by some dude inside ,was driven somewhere then dumped out ,that said I threw the first punch and cracked some teeth ,his mates returned the favor ,lost about 7k and a blackberry

Happy to see that some fellow members still know how to party ! biggrin.png

• Like 2

I almost was and it was enjoyable, but it wasn't by the cabbie. Sorry to disappoint, but you need to think of something else when you make love to your hands tonite. laugh.png

My friend had opened the door and asked the taxi driver if he would take us to our destination. He said yes he would do and said he wants 300 baht for it. So my friend just closed the door (a bit stronger than he maybe should have) and we walked away. The taxi driver got out of the taxi and ran towards me and my friends, yelling insults and swinging his fists. As I am physically bigger than my friend I stood in front of him and as I was able to speak thai I told him that unless he calms down now I will call the police and report him to the taxi line too. Hearing this, he ran back to his car, took out a metal wringe and ran towards us again, trying to hit me and my friend in the head. I was able to block the attacks and yelled at him to calm down or he will get huge problems. I was ready to defend myself physically but I knew that if I injure him, I will be the one who will be charged. After a few minutes when he saw my readiness to hit back if he tries to hit us one more time with the metal wringe, he ran back to his taxi and drove off.

We walked over to the security guards from the condominium building opposite (about 3 people) who had watched the incident and I asked them to call the police. They refused. They said that the driver is "bah", completely crazy, confirming to me what I suspected that he must have been high on yah-bah or another drug. My friend was badly in shock, and as I did not know any number of the tourist police we decided to stop another taxi to go home. Once home, I helped my friend to calm down, found on the internet the tourist number, phoned them, but as described nothing came out than, you can file a report tomorrow. I made the incident public and a Thai speaking tweeple phoned the taxi complaint line, but as we only got the number of the license plate of the taxi 6112 and NOT the Thai letter (!!!) they refused to accept a complaint, so nothing could be done there and that driver was driving around in his state the whole last night.

A person on twitter suggested today after we know that filing a police complaint would lead to nothing (The witnesses would be too scared of the taxi mafia to testify, no physical harm done apart a few bruises on my arm) to call Thai radio to create awareness.

I started this threat to inform about a situation which had happened to us and hope that others wont have this experience. I will be extra cautious in future

thanks

The word is WRENCH. I have no idea what a wringe is.

My friend had opened the door and asked the taxi driver if he would take us to our destination. He said yes he would do and said he wants 300 baht for it. So my friend just closed the door (a bit stronger than he maybe should have) and we walked away. The taxi driver got out of the taxi and ran towards me and my friends, yelling insults and swinging his fists. As I am physically bigger than my friend I stood in front of him and as I was able to speak thai I told him that unless he calms down now I will call the police and report him to the taxi line too. Hearing this, he ran back to his car, took out a metal wringe and ran towards us again, trying to hit me and my friend in the head. I was able to block the attacks and yelled at him to calm down or he will get huge problems. I was ready to defend myself physically but I knew that if I injure him, I will be the one who will be charged. After a few minutes when he saw my readiness to hit back if he tries to hit us one more time with the metal wringe, he ran back to his taxi and drove off.

We walked over to the security guards from the condominium building opposite (about 3 people) who had watched the incident and I asked them to call the police. They refused. They said that the driver is "bah", completely crazy, confirming to me what I suspected that he must have been high on yah-bah or another drug. My friend was badly in shock, and as I did not know any number of the tourist police we decided to stop another taxi to go home. Once home, I helped my friend to calm down, found on the internet the tourist number, phoned them, but as described nothing came out than, you can file a report tomorrow. I made the incident public and a Thai speaking tweeple phoned the taxi complaint line, but as we only got the number of the license plate of the taxi 6112 and NOT the Thai letter (!!!) they refused to accept a complaint, so nothing could be done there and that driver was driving around in his state the whole last night.

A person on twitter suggested today after we know that filing a police complaint would lead to nothing (The witnesses would be too scared of the taxi mafia to testify, no physical harm done apart a few bruises on my arm) to call Thai radio to create awareness.

I started this threat to inform about a situation which had happened to us and hope that others wont have this experience. I will be extra cautious in future

thanks

The word is WRENCH. I have no idea what a wringe is.

Verb

wringe

Etymology

From Old Dutch *wringan, from Proto-Germanic *wringanan.

[edit]Verb

wringen (strong class 3)

• wring kleren wringen -- wring clothes
  • twist iemand's arm wringen -- twist someone's arm
  • wrest iemand iets uit de handen wringen -- wrest from someone's hands

Sounds quite apt really.

Edited by Kananga

Since everyone is enunciating taxi Do's & Don'ts, may I ask what's the policy on music ?

I thought since you were the customer, you could request to stop the crackling Thai stereo pumping right behind your skull for they usually have the speakers behind the back seat...Had several refusals

Please advise

Tx

Amphibian yours

In a bus would be different, as there are other passengers, but if you are on a taxi you can politely ask in Thai to low down the volume a little bit..The driver would normally comply..Otherwise must be a very impolite guy !

Sometimes i have this problem on buses, but all i can do is to use ear-plugs.

No, you're a guest in their space, no concept of "customer service" applies here in practice, you're dependent on their level of politeness and common sense about getting a tip.

Obviously your language skills and tone of voice may influence the outcome.

I always sit in the front, so just ask politely while reaching and adjusting myself, usually claim to have a headache.

This sounds almost exactly like the cab driver we encountered last week. Pink cab, agreed a fee. We got in then he screamed at us to get out as some girls came and he wanted to take them. My friend wasnt well so I said to him don't about and talk to us like that you can see he's not well let us get him out. Few mins later as we are walking down the street he comes with two friends and tries to jump us but we easily fended him off. He returned to the boot of his taxi for something and tried to chase us but we took off before we found out what it was.

• Like 1

No, you're a guest in their space, no concept of "customer service" applies here in practice, you're dependent on their level of politeness and common sense about getting a tip.

Obviously your language skills and tone of voice may influence the outcome.

I always sit in the front, so just ask politely while reaching and adjusting myself, usually claim to have a headache.

Technically I am a paying customer that rents the car for the duration of the trip, and anywhere else in the world, people have an obvious right to choose the music / radio station/ no radio , etc, but here being cowboy land ...

Edited by aneliane

Please advise

Tx

Amphibian yours

In a bus would be different, as there are other passengers, but if you are on a taxi you can politely ask in Thai to low down the volume a little bit..The driver would normally comply..Otherwise must be a very impolite guy !

Sometimes i have this problem on buses, but all i can do is to use ear-plugs.

Erm the topic is about TAXI only

And no the driver does not normally complies if asked politely, as previously stated

As for buses I would not dream of asking a bus driver to stop his stereo, far too dangerious

No you take it to management, it worked for me

Edited by aneliane

The Autans 10 Golden Commandments when dealing with Taxi drivers.

1. Agree a fair in advance. Before getting in.

2. You always pay the tolls. The taxi driver drives the cab, you pay the tolls on top.

3. Ensure you destination is a hotel/airport etc, where they have to deal with security they wont risk a fuss.

4. Never ever ever get in a taxi if they say its free.

5. Before you get in the taxi, ask to see some ID. Make a note of any id number.

6. Be nice, be friendly and make conversation.

7. Ask questions about them, they are human afterall.

8. If they dont speak English, then dont try to speak Thai.

9. If you smoke, offer them a cigarette.

10. Offer them around 10% of the fair as a tip and say "Put that in your poket, my friend, Kop Kun Kapp,"

My longest taxi ride was from Patong Beach, Phuket to BKK Airport. Nearly a thousand miles and it cost me £200, I paid him 2000 baht tip and he was the best taxi driver ever.

You are kidding of course. most of your "advice" is just plain rubbish. I hope no-one actually takes most of what you've said is usual and

normal.

1. The only reason you'd do this is if you had no other choice (no other taxis to choose) or you wanted to go a long distance out of normal operating area i.e. to another province maybe.

2. Correct.

3. Not so. Just give clear destination address and maybe some suggestions on direction if the driver is unsure. Either way, you should always watch the way he is going (that is if YOU know too) to ensure he doesn't take you on the "scenic" route.

4. Free! never heard of such a thing. Yes, of course!

5. No-one does this, but the idea is not too bad. You can get the number from the visor on the passenger side if you want to.

6. Be normal and civil. Don't make conversation if YOU don't want too. Why are so many westerners such pussies..scared of their own shaddows?

7. Are you kidding? How many Thais do you think start up some long lost friend convo about one-another's private lives? If YOU feel YOU want to "chat" on some light, uncomplicated subject like food or football do so. Make sure you don't say something that will inflame him. Thais generally have extremely thin skins.

8. If you know a little Thai, then you can use it, but refer to number 7 above.

9. Crap! please don't smoke in the cab!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you think the average Thai passenger will offer them a cigarette...answer..NO!

10. "My friend" OMG you are hard up. Why do you and many other westerners feel they have to always ingratiate themselves with every Thai. What are you scared of? The average Thai passenger would NEVER do this. Although leaving the driver a SMALL tip is OK providing he gave you good and courteous service.

By the way, I can answer the question I posed in #10 above. It's because far too many Thais feel they can scam, rip-off, assault and kill westerners with complete impunity...and most of the time they are right..witness the security guards in the OP's story...they weren't going to help.Truth be told, they were probably hoping the two westerners got bludgeoned to death. And the cops, politicians and a large portion of society would feel similar. This in mind, it's perfectly understandable why many westerners here do ingratiate themselves and are just scared shitless of Thais. They know.... ain't nobody gonna help them, the system's against them and they are easy game.

Edited by barky
  • Like 1

2. You always pay the tolls. The taxi driver drives the cab, you pay the tolls on top.

3. Ensure you destination is a hotel/airport etc, where they have to deal with security they wont risk a fuss.

5. Before you get in the taxi, ask to see some ID. Make a note of any id number.

10. Offer them around 10% of the fair as a tip and say "Put that in your poket, my friend, Kop Kun Kapp,"

My longest taxi ride was from Patong Beach, Phuket to BKK Airport. Nearly a thousand miles and it cost me £200, I paid him 2000 baht tip and he was the best taxi driver ever.

You are kidding of course. most of your "advice" is just plain rubbish. I hope no-one actually takes most of what you've said is usual and

normal.

1. The only reason you'd do this is if you had no other choice (no other taxis to choose) or you wanted to go a long distance out of normal operating area i.e. to another province maybe.

2. Correct.

3. Not so. Just give clear destination address and maybe some suggestions on direction if the driver is unsure. Either way, you should always watch the way he is going (that is if YOU know too) to ensure he doesn't take you on the "scenic" route.

5. No-one does this, but the idea is not too bad. You can get the number from the visor on the passenger side if you want to.

6. Be normal and civil. Don't make conversation if YOU don't want too. Why are so many westerners such pussies..scared of their own shaddows?

7. Are you kidding? How many Thais do you think start up some long lost friend convo about one-another's private lives? If YOU feel YOU want to "chat" on some light, uncomplicated subject like food or football do so. Make sure you don't say something that will inflame him. Thais generally have extremely thin skins.

9. Crap! please don't smoke in the cab!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you think the average Thai passenger will offer them a cigarette...answer..NO!

10. "My friend" OMG you are hard up. Why do you and many other westerners feel they have to always ingratiate themselves with every Thai. What are you scared of? The average Thai passenger would NEVER do this. Although leaving the driver a SMALL tip is OK providing he gave you good and courteous service.

By the way, I can answer the question I posed in #10 above. It's because far too many Thais feel they can scam, rip-off, assault and kill westerners with complete impunity...and most of the time they are right..witness the security guards in the OP's story...they weren't going to help.Truth be told, they were probably hoping the two westerners got bludgeoned to death. And the cops, politicians and a large portion of society would feel similar. This in mind, it's perfectly understandable why many westerners here do ingratiate themselves and are just scared shitless of Thais. They know.... ain't nobody gonna help them, the system's against them and they are easy game.

normal.

Where did that list come from? Mostly a load of rubbish, for Bangkok at least.

#1 is the exact thing you should never do.

#2 is true but never comes into dispute anyway.

#3 is irrelevant - your destination is where you want to go, if that just happens to be a hotel or airport then fine.

#4 makes sense, I don't recall ever being offered a free cab ride though.

#5 is unnecessary, no-one ever does this.

#6 & #7, yes this makes sense.

#8 is wrong, if you speak good/reasonable Thai then definitely speak to the driver in Thai (if you want to engage him in conversation at all), and if you speak basic Thai and want to practice, many cab drivers are happy to chat with you. Certainly no reason to not speak Thai.

#9 is up to you but hardly a hot tip for Thai taxi riding.

#10, tip as you please - as a general rule, rounding up to the nearest 5 or 10 Baht seems to be the accepted standard amount to tip - if the driver's been exceptionally nice or helpful, an extra 20 Baht or so is appreciated. Expect some funny looks if you say "Put that in your pocket, my friend" though.

So you want to poke fun at my little list. My bad. Its all fun and games and splitting hairs until some nutter comes at you with a three foot machete and then its little man with little balls syndrome shakin in corner getting yourself humiliated by a junkie in a rusty taxi. Hoping the Thai Police will catch the bad bad men. Welcome to the real LOS smiles. Surely a country that was never colonised is a martial race, a warrior mentality and guess what ponkasieye your fresh meat for the grinder and your up next. My list might very well saves lives, your beratement of your list saved none, not even your own pathetic little soul, which by the way will be consumed shortly. Hit it.

Im not clear if this happened when you were getting in the cab or after you had arrived at a destination. Im assuming it happened at the destination. ignore me if i am in error.

The taxi driver was clearly in the wrong for attacking you, however you put yourself into this situation.

It is up to you make sure the meter is on or get out of the cab.

The fact of the matter is that once you have arrived at the destination, meter or no, the taxi driver has provided you a service for which you are obliged to pay.

I personally would have dropped the approximate metered fare in the front seat and walked on. Having tacitly accepted the service i would not expect to ride free even if it were to make a point.

mess with somebody's living and you are going to get hurt.

Exactly !!!!!!!

Don't get all wrapped up in what is involved in the package when you jump in a BKK taxi (your right to radio, quiet, no talking...). The ride is essentially free - BKK taxi's have to be cheapest in the world.

Often a brand new taxi, good a/c cross town or to airport - 200B. Cmon!

A good way to avoid getting ripped off is not to approach a taxi that's parked and looking for business, unless it's in a designated taxi rank, for example at the airport or at a shopping mall. Flagging a moving cab down seems to minimize the number of crazies / criminals. Not 100% obviously, but it helps.

• Like 1

No, you're a guest in their space, no concept of "customer service" applies here in practice, you're dependent on their level of politeness and common sense about getting a tip. Obviously your language skills and tone of voice may influence the outcome. I always sit in the front, so just ask politely while reaching and adjusting myself, usually claim to have a headache.

Technically I am a paying customer that rents the car for the duration of the trip, and anywhere else in the world, people have an obvious right to choose the music / radio station/ no radio , etc, but here being cowboy land ...

That's right, as you noted such a "right" is only "technically" - many things we take for granted overseas don't apply here. Those that have difficulty accepting that and adapting to reality as it is are most often the ones that find themselves in trouble.

However in 13 years of politely asking the driver in Thai to turn down the music - "Kaw bit siang noi krap" - I've *never* had a driver refuse or even object. In fact if I don't like the radio station and there's CD/mp3 visible, I'll often ask them to give that a whirl. But I wouldn't dream of asking them to tune away from a football game, nor to change their religion 8-)

It's because far too many Thais feel they can scam, rip-off, assault and kill westerners with complete impunity...and most of the time they are right..witness the security guards in the OP's story...they weren't going to help.Truth be told, they were probably hoping the two westerners got bludgeoned to death. And the cops, politicians and a large portion of society would feel similar. This in mind, it's perfectly understandable why many westerners here do ingratiate themselves and are just scared shitless of Thais. They know.... ain't nobody gonna help them, the system's against them and they are easy game.

While I think your POV a bit extreme, the underlying point is a valid one.

A good way to avoid getting ripped off is not to approach a taxi that's parked and looking for business, unless it's in a designated taxi rank, for example at the airport or at a shopping mall. Flagging a moving cab down seems to minimize the number of crazies / criminals. Not 100% obviously, but it helps.

Yes, this was first of the three I consider critical, the others being:

2 Stand outside the cab and get agreement wrt your destination and the use of the meter before getting in.

3 If you do have a problem, note the color/company and the cab number - the ID in the dashboard holder is often inaccurate

normal.

2. Correct.

Concur with this, similar to my other reply here. However, if you look at this member's other posts further down the page, I think he's revealed himself as a troll, or at least that he's trolling on this thread, as no-one could really believe that what he's writing is genuine advice.

Edited by dantilley

+1!

My friend and I after we had dinner at a restaurant in Ruamrudee Road (near Wireless Road) wanted to take a taxi to go home. The driver refused to turn on the meter (as usual) and we were not willing to pay the fee he demanded and left the taxi. The driver stepped out to and started to yell at me and my friend. I speak enough thai to explain him that we wont take his take and that we will call 1584 (the taxi complaint line) if he doesnt stop threatening us. He tried to punch my friend (who is smaller than I am) but I stood in the way and blocked it. Then the taxi driver returned to the taxi, took out a metal wringe (for changing tyres) and started to attack us. I was able to block the attack and yelled at him to do away. Security guards from the building opposite were watching but when I called them to call the police they refused as they were scared of the driver. I managed to calm the driver down, but when he went back to the taxi he turned around again and tried again to hit my friend with the wringe on the head. Luckily he missed. Then he ran back into the taxi and drove off. I remembered the taxi (which was a purple color taxi) licence plate number which is 6112. The driver was about 30 years old, wore glasses, 1.65 meter tall and he was obviously under the influence of drugs. We went over to the security guards and asked them to call the police which they refused. As my friend and I were in shock we drove home. The incident happened today, April 25th at 23.30 at Ruamrudee Road. At home I called 1155 and the police man told me to file a report tomorrow at the police station, which we will. I asked him to phone the taxi complaint line 1584 but he said he cant do that. I phoned them myself and explained them the incident. I was given another number 1644 which I called, but nobody spoke english and even I explained in thai the incident I was asked to phone tourist police. NO action will be taken and one is completely helpless in this situation.

My friend and I are still in shock. Even we will try to report that incident tomorrow at the police station, as usual no action will be taken by Thai police. It was a very serious physical assault which could have ended deadly. I post this as a warning to everyone[

Be thankful you wasn't in a taxi in downtown Manila, even their scared of getting scammed or robbed, only country I lock the car door
  • Like 1

this is the only piece of advice offered that makes any sense

• Like 1

Shutting the door with unnecessary force was the action that caused the taxi driver to get out and attack. Though to a westerner this would seem like an overreaction, to a Thai, particularly of certain socio-economic class, it was the same as a slap in the face. Every culture has different triggers that cause a situation to escalate to violence, it is important to understand what they are for the culture you are living in. This is not an excuse for the taxi driver’s behavior, only an explanation. Hopefully the OP and others can see the difference and modify their behavior accordingly.

The OP should have gone up to the Lumpini Police station just up Wireless from where he was and filed a police report right then. Not sure if anything would have come of that, but at least he would have done everything he could do about it.

TH

The OP should have gone up to the Lumpini Police station just up Wireless from where he was and filed a police report right then.

cheesy.gif Provided you only want to just make a report and see no action.