Taking Money Back To The Uk

I want to know is there any problems in sending money back to the uk, when i sell my house.

I will have about 100000 pounds and i would like to pay my mortgage of in the uk,

Is it best to send it to my uk bank or put the money in to my thai bank, i know you can only take 10000 pounds any one time, that means many trips.

I guess money landering companies,will investigate where my money came from,but i will be able to prove its legal.

Will i owe any tax money in the uk?

I say good luck. All frang should know it is very easy to bring money to Thailand and almost impossible to take back.

I have a work permit and I wanted to send some money back to US after 5 years and I had to show all my income for past 5 year and even that they limited the amount I could send back.

So Frang Be Aware

It is my understanding & verified by Bangkok bank that when you bring large amounts into Thailand

you request a FET ...Foreign Exchange Transfer....receipt

When you want to send money back out it is not a problem if the amounts do not exceed your FET's

This information was not dependent on work permits etc.

As for UK taxation I have no idea

Edited by flying

Hi there. I will potentially be in the same situation as you in the near future (not moving but just paying off the UK mortgage) and recently made enquiries with my Thai bank which is Siam Commercial Bank. The bank manager said it should be ok to transfer that kind of amount if I can provide them with a final settlement statement from the UK mortgage company and I can prove where the funds came from (paperwork for the sale of the Thai property). The money has to be transferred directly to your UK lender as well so make sure that the final statement includes the lender's bank details.

However, I am a Thai national so not sure if there are extra requirements for non-Thais. Another caveat is that this was the bank manager's advice and it has not been put to the test yet. Good luck and please report back as I would like to learn how you get on.

Every foreigner on this site will not be surprised that a Thai person can shift 100,000 pounds to the U.K.....

So if any foreigner onThai Visa has shifted that amount or more back to their own country can they please come forward...

I have yet to meet the person who has shifted large amounts of money plus profits from selling property back to their country of origin.

All I ever hear is that the GF/ Wife runs off with it, you cannot transfer unless it is in small amounts or they re-invest the the money in another property / Bar / business.

blink.png

Fairly easy to do.

Find someone who lives in Thailand, but has cash in a UK bank.

You transfer money from your Thai bank into their Thai bank.

They transfer money from their UK bank to your UK bank.

They buy at less than the going exchange rate 2 bht on the pound would do it.

I say good luck. All frang should know it is very easy to bring money to Thailand and almost impossible to take back.

I have a work permit and I wanted to send some money back to US after 5 years and I had to show all my income for past 5 year and even that they limited the amount I could send back.

So Frang Be Aware

At my bank I just had to show my work permit and they happily transferred about £50,000 even though not 1 satang of my salary has ever been paid into my Thai bank account.

Every foreigner on this site will not be surprised that a Thai person can shift 100,000 pounds to the U.K.....

So if any foreigner onThai Visa has shifted that amount or more back to their own country can they please come forward...

I have yet to meet the person who has shifted large amounts of money plus profits from selling property back to their country of origin.

All I ever hear is that the GF/ Wife runs off with it, you cannot transfer unless it is in small amounts or they re-invest the the money in another property / Bar / business.

blink.png

Depends what you mean by large amounts.

I sent £50,000 back to UK from the sale of property.

So Frang Be Aware

At my bank I just had to show my work permit and they happily transferred about £50,000 even though not 1 satang of my salary has ever been paid into my Thai bank account.

It has happened to me in 2 different bank in two different occasion, Bangkok bank and K-Bank. I was transfer about $50k each time

So Frang Be Aware

It has happened to me in 2 different bank in two different occasion, Bangkok bank and K-Bank. I was transfer about $50k each time

As usual different banks have different policies, or some employees don't know the rules or make them up as they go along.

Makes it difficult to sort out what the REAL situation is / should be.

TIT

Thanks for the reply PattayaParent - that is the largest amount I have ever heard about. I have heard of 5,000 or 10,000 pounds ore equiv. But not as much as you state.

The reason I want to know is because I have never bought property here. Mainly for the the very reason that if it all goes tits up how do you get yer dosh out again and back to Blighty. But I procrastinate about everything....especially when money is involved...

fly to the republic of ireland then get a train to belfast north ireland your back in the uk get a few freinds to meet you stay 2 nights spread the money then get an internal flight home,dont try another european airport for they ask to many ?

Edited by oggie911

fly to the republic of ireland then get a train to belfast north ireland your back in the uk get a few freinds to meet you stay 2 nights spread the money then get an internal flight home,dont try another european airport for they ask to many ?

Fairly easy to do.

Find someone who lives in Thailand, but has cash in a UK bank.

You transfer money from your Thai bank into their Thai bank.

They transfer money from their UK bank to your UK bank.

Hmmm. Rather you than me.

This could be another contender for the "best way to lose a lot of money in Thailand" award.

So Frang Be Aware

Another popular farang TV myth expounded as fact.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. How much can you take in cash out of Thailand and into the uk? I have about 13,000 pound. I will transfer most of it but would like to take some in cash. Transfer money to uk should give me a good exchange rate right?