Cat Cdma And Linux

up-country_sinclair

Hi,

I use a CAT CDMA EC 150 dongle for internet access and am thinking about buying a new computer with only Linux installed (MInt or Ubuntu) and I am wondering whether or not the dongle will function. On the box that the dongle came in it only lists Windows and Apple operating systems, so I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with having this dongle work with a Linux distro.

Thanks.

smile.png

I have been using CAT CDMA with a Novatel/Merlin Modem and Ubuntu for several years. All I had to do was plug in the dongle, enter the username and password and the rest was automatically detected. I have also used various 3G modems from Huwei under Ubuntu without ever having a compatibility problem so while I cannot guarantee your particual modem will work I think you are very unlikely to have any issues

Yes, I had that exact USB stick on Linux (Ubuntu 10.10) about a year ago and was able to get it working using wvdial, I presume nowadays it is plug and play with say (x)Ubuntu 12.04. The only thing I had to use Windows for was topping up (via SMS) but if on contract or you have a cdma phone you wont have that issue. If I remember correctly it took a little googling there was is a thai blog post on it setting it up correctly (just editing a config)

Edited by matt111

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I know I'm a month and a half late...did you go for it? I understand that CAT is phasing out those 3g dongles later this year? But my EC150 works fine with Ubuntu, just plug it in and set up a mobilebroadband connection, use the username [email protected], password catevdo, and you're up. I don't know if Ubuntu works to reload prepaid 15 day internet though. I've always just used windows to reload my CAT dongle.