Border Run By Train

Hi all there,

With your help I finally got my WP application accepted and I am now waiting for the WP3 letter to go to a neighbouring embassy (most likely it will be KL). However my current tourist visa is expiring a few days before so I need to do a border run and get 15 days for being able to collect the letter before going to the embassy to apply for the non-B visa.

I would like to travel by train and if possible avoid any visa fee. BTW I think I prefer Myanmar better than Cambodia with the people being rude and all those scammers in the border. Can anyone provide me with some info about the train from Hua Lampong to Myanmar? How many hours, need of changing trains, etc?

Of course, any other idea or advice is highly welcomed.

Hey Mac, Thanks for your reply.

I think going to Malaysia is going to take a long time. What about going to the famous river Kwai bridge and cross there? Anyone knows if that line is still on service?

I wanted to avoid going by road and visa run services but it looks like it will be the easiest way :-(

Edited by kawaiimomo

Hi

via train, bkk to chumpon 6 to 7 hours on the drc train, then minivan or big bus to ranong about 2 and a bit hours, in Ranong you can cross by boat to Burma, that's the only way to reach burma by train heading south from BKK, to go north from BKK would take to long to reach burma, your looking at a 12 hour train ride at least

• Like 1

Cheapest way is to Aranya Pratet/Poipet (Cambodia). Train from Bangkok is 50 baht (there are two per day, one leaving around six in the morning, the other around 13.00 hrs., morning train recommended), tuk-tuk to the border 70 (or ten if there's a song teow leaving at the moment). The Cambodians have cleaned up nicely on their side of the border, and visa is $20 (cheaper to pay with dollars than with baht). The visa office is on the right hand side just after the bridge. Just ignore anybody telling you otherwise.

You won't get a train back the same day, so you have to spend a night on either side of the border (unless you want to take a bus back, or get high with one of the van drivers). You can get a proper room on the Cambodian side for 500 baht, but the food is better on the Thai side, and since the border doesn't open until seven in the morning, you will miss the morning train if you don't cross the day before.

The trains are distinctly third class, but the beer is cheap (and the toilet free, but that's closer to fifth class). A rather entertaining trip if you like weird experiences. I do it all the time biggrin.png

Edited by zakk9
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys.

Zakk9, excellent answer, very helpful :-) I definitively love weird experiences, I must try that. Probably on the next visa run, as I don't think I can afford to spent 2 days doing this. Sadly, it looks I would need to take on of those minivans. I guess after all that's why they are offering this service, convenience ;-)

Thanks again, I love these forums !

zakk9, I haven't needed to do a visa run for years but last time I went to Poipet and handed them $20 they insisted on an extra 200 baht. Have they really cleaned things up recently that you don't have to pay any extras?

Yes, they have. At some of their passport controls, there are even signs saying "No money to be paid here". You have to leave your finger prints though. If you pay with baht, they'll ask for 800 for the visa (used to be a thousand), and sometimes one of the officers (who are now all in uniforms) at the visa office, outside the counter, will ask politely for a tip.

Cambodia seems to realise that there's potential in the tourist business, also outside Angkor, and has apparently understood that tourists don't like scams. They are moving in the opposite direction of another country that I can't remember the name of right now wink.png

Edited by zakk9
  • Like 1

I have taken the train from Bangkok to Penang, KL to get a "Type O" visa which had to be obtained before my children and I were able to piggy-back off my spouse's retirement visa. The train is a rough ride (especially for 22 hours) but the countryside was beautiful, and the people we met were fascinating and friendly which made the trip priceless and well worth it. Unfortunately, my spoiled American children were not too thrilled with the lack of first class accommodations and private bathroomsrolleyes.gif

Just a suggestion...you might want to check out the internet for deals to Singapore; I have gone over there a couple of times and it was cheaper than taking the train to any border. You can go there and back in half a day and then avoid the hotel costs to stay overnight. Also, you will be able to get a 30 day extension vs. only 15. With visas, there is always something that can go wrong (which I know from experience) and it would be good to have an extra couple of weeks.

The bus is always a good option; I have done the run to the Cambodian border a couple of times with a bus company that handles everything for you. They are wonderful people; the drivers were alert and careful and they were also quite knowledgeable when it came to any type of visa. In fact, they were they only ones who told us how to obtain our visas when everyone (expats and Visa companies) said that it was impossible for my children and I to get a visa based on my spouses retirement. The round trip takes about 10 hours and I think it was about 1900 Baht which was all inclusive of the fees, including the Cambodian side.

One more option I know of is to go to immigration and pay 1900 Baht to get a 7 day visa extension without even leaving Thailand, but that is a one time shot. Of course, this time frame may not work out for you.

Hope this helps...I know what it is like trying to figure out all the options while trying to get your visa.

Good luck!

Edited by BigJohnson
  • Like 1

The train that crosses the "Bridge over the River Kwai" in Kanchanaburi does not go on to Myanmar. That line ends around 80 km north in the vicinity of Nam Tok.

If you want to do it by train and possibly combine a visa run with a little vacation trip, another possible run via train would be to Vientiane, Laos. See http://www.seat61.com/Laos.htm#Bangkok for some info on trains to and from Vientiane. Can't give you any info on visa details at that particular border crossing. Perhaps some others have gone that route and can.

If you are real close to getting wp3 you could get a seven day extension at immigration. Costs 1900 baht but it might just give you enough time and save an extra trip to the border.. You could plan it to where you waited until the last day of your permit to stay and go to immigration. Just remember they don't work the weekends.

Edited by ubonjoe

In my opinion, Malay railways are best avoided.

I've done the Singapore to KL trip 3 times now, and not impressed with the broken chairs, cockroaches and no facilities for buying a snack or drink apart from rushing out at a station and grabbing anything edible before the train departs.

My last trip will be my last, as the train broke down 45 minutes out of KL station, and we were stuck in a remote village for 2 hours. We cleaned out the evening market's stock of fried chicken and nasi goreng, and buses eventually got us all to KL by midnight.

VIP coach with air con and soft seats are by far the best way to travel in Malaysia.

Have you ever thought of getting an Education Visa. You get a Visa through the Language School you will be learning at - they do all the leg work. Then every three months you poll up to your local Immigaration for the three monthly stamp. No border run, no horror journeys by train or minibus, expensive flights or large deposits in Thai Banks. Included in the Visa cost is 200 hours per year Thai Lessons, which if you intend to live here, maybe that's no bad thing? The School will then do the Annual Re-newall for you. The only draw back, which I heard via TV is one Guy pitched up for his three monthly reporting stamp and the Customs Officer apparently spoke to him in Thai and he had not attended the lessons, therefore hadn't a clue what the Officer said. Visa, it said, was CANCELLED!!!!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies!

A 7 day extension looks too tight time for me. As a poster said, something could be wrong and I better have some extra time just in case.

Right now I am managing 2 choices: Do a border cross, get the letter of approval and flight to make the non-B, OR do a flight, get the letter and convert the visa to non-B without leaving the country. Tomorrow I will make some calls to know if I can do this conversion and thus avoid a 2nd trip.

Have you ever thought of getting an Education Visa. You get a Visa through the Language School you will be learning at - they do all the leg work. Then every three months you poll up to your local Immigaration for the three monthly stamp. No border run, no horror journeys by train or minibus, expensive flights or large deposits in Thai Banks. Included in the Visa cost is 200 hours per year Thai Lessons, which if you intend to live here, maybe that's no bad thing? The School will then do the Annual Re-newall for you. The only draw back, which I heard via TV is one Guy pitched up for his three monthly reporting stamp and the Customs Officer apparently spoke to him in Thai and he had not attended the lessons, therefore hadn't a clue what the Officer said. Visa, it said, was CANCELLED!!!!

Quite a nice story, however I don't see the need of getting an ED visa because I am going to get a non-B and after the one year extension I should be able to avoid any border run.

Thanks for all the replies!

A 7 day extension looks too tight time for me. As a poster said, something could be wrong and I better have some extra time just in case.

Right now I am managing 2 choices: Do a border cross, get the letter of approval and flight to make the non-B, OR do a flight, get the letter and convert the visa to non-B without leaving the country. Tomorrow I will make some calls to know if I can do this conversion and thus avoid a 2nd trip.

Quite a nice story, however I don't see the need of getting an ED visa because I am going to get a non-B and after the one year extension I should be able to avoid any border run.

It seems to me your best choice is a border run to Cambodia and get the 15 days.

Are you going to be getting single or multiple B. If a single then Vientian would be a good place. You can go all the way by train via Nong Kai. Overnight 2nd class sleeper is real good for long trips to just about anywhere if available. I have done it both ways from here in Ubon to Bangkok.

If you want to make a holiday trip out of your border run to get the 15 days you could travel overnight to here (less than 1000 baht round trip for sleeper) and take a bus to Pakse Laos (more info here http://www.tourismlaos.org/web/show_content.php?contID=55) using the border crossing at Chong Mek and spend a little time before returning. It will be 1600 baht for the visa on arrival. If you want save time at border you can get a visa the same day you apply at the Lao consulate in Bangkok (http://laoembassybkk.com/).

You can also travel to Ubon and get mini bus to Chong Mek at the bus station (10 baht by sungtao #2 from train station). Then do a border crossing and return.

Of course it's all up to you.biggrin.png

Ubonjoe