Pattaya Begins Enforcement Of Thailand’S Anti-Smoking Laws

Rimmer

Pattaya begins enforcement of Thailand’s anti-smoking laws

PATTAYA:--To comply with anti-smoking legislation, Baht Buses and other public areas such as Bus Stops, phone booths and libraries are now non-smoking areas.

Pattaya City Hall are running a campaign to highlight this newly enforced law to Pattaya residents and tourists and on Thursday began placing no smoking signs across the city and throughout the Baht Bus fleet. For now, those who are caught smoking in such areas will only be warned but officials tell us that fines and even arrests may occur in the future when the law is fully enforced.

Full story:http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/54003/pattaya-begins-enforcement-thailands-anti-smoking-laws/

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2012-04-27

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

To comply with anti-smoking legislation, Baht Buses and other public areas such as Bus Stops, phone booths and libraries are now non-smoking areas.

So that means, that every copper can squeeze a fine out of some one caught smoking on a Baht Bus.

You gotta be kidding me w00t.gif

Fortunate I quit smoking several years ago !

Edit: //

I just hope that bar girls don't quit "smoking"

Edited by MJCM

there is a library in Pattaya?

Used to be on Soi 6 - not sure where now.

funny place to have a library...

off topic, anyone know who owns the house and large plot of land next to it ( next to hard rock hotel ) , seen that house many times, and always wondered who owned it

Just wish there could be signs on restaurants stating wether the "no smoking" regulations is enforced. I am sick of ordering food only to have it rendered almost unedible because some pri-k at the next table thinks he has more rights than us and lights up and lets his smoke drift over us and our food . Go outside <deleted> and have your smoke there if necessary, There are a few restaurants in Pattaya. in particular . who serve good food but i will not return because of their smoking policy , I am not saying people should not have the right to increase their chances of dying from smoking related disease but suggest that a sign is erected at the enterence to the establishment stating that the management considers smokers have preference over non-smokers or food consumers so i know not to waste my money there.

• Like 2

What's a phone-booth?

Here's one but why is it necessary for having a smoking ban in one of those, can you even fit more then 1 person in them ?

its a phone box

Difference in Language

A telephone booth, telephone kiosk, telephone call box or telephone box is a small structure furnished with a payphone and designed for a telephone user's convenience. In the USA, Canada and Australia, "telephone booth" is used, while in the UK and the rest of the Commonwealth it is a "telephone box" or "phone box"
Edited by MJCM

Just wish there could be signs on restaurants stating wether the "no smoking" regulations is enforced. I am sick of ordering food only to have it rendered almost unedible because some pri-k at the next table thinks he has more rights than us and lights up and lets his smoke drift over us and our food . Go outside <deleted> and have your smoke there if necessary, There are a few restaurants in Pattaya. in particular . who serve good food but i will not return because of their smoking policy , I am not saying people should not have the right to increase their chances of dying from smoking related disease but suggest that a sign is erected at the enterence to the establishment stating that the management considers smokers have preference over non-smokers or food consumers so i know not to waste my money there.

Did you not know it's illegal to smoke in restaurants? They introduced this law about 2 or 3 years ago. It's another law they stopped enforcing after a few months.

Great to see laws like this introduced.

Australia is currently considering similar.....but harsher than these pattaya ones.

Great to see people forced to stop infecting others with their filth.

Wegnehmen !

Same to you...I hope it is not rude.

Most smokers seem to be quite weak willed or minded, so it is actually a shame to see these types of rules being even required when people cannot stop a dirty habit that they know can kill them...at very least make them unhealthy and...smell.

If their minds were stronger, these rules to protect others from them, would not be required.

Great to see laws like this introduced.

Australia is currently considering similar.....but harsher than these pattaya ones.

Great to see people forced to stop infecting others with their filth.

Wegnehmen !

Same to you...I hope it is not rude.

Most smokers seem to be quite weak willed or minded, so it is actually a shame to see these types of rules being even required when people cannot stop a dirty habit that they know can kill them...at very least make them unhealthy and...smell.

If their minds were stronger, these rules to protect others from them, would not be required.

This is a misunderstanding : Wegnehmen in German translates to " take them away "

And of course im referring to the smokers who disregard the laws and the health of others

• Like 1

Did you not know it's illegal to smoke in restaurants? They introduced this law about 2 or 3 years ago. It's another law they stopped enforcing after a few months.

Yes i know it is illegal and it is not enforced but what i am saying is to let the punters know if that the management will give preference to the smokers so that the rest of us will not waste our money in those restaurants. There are quite a few around Second Road and Soi Bukhao who will take your money but not give the customer the respect of being able to dine without having it spoilt by a smoker.

Yes i know it is illegal and it is not enforced but what i am saying is to let the punters know if that the management will give preference to the smokers so that the rest of us will not waste our money in those restaurants. There are quite a few around Second Road and Soi Bukhao who will take your money but not give the customer the respect of being able to dine without having it spoilt by a smoker.

I think you're dealing with a cultural thing, rather than a disregard for others. Thais in general are far more tolerant about everything around them (smokers, noise etc). They would wonder what all the fuss is about. I'm sure they must have many inside jokes about how Farang always kick up such a fuss about what they would consider minor things.

I think you're dealing with a cultural thing, rather than a disregard for others. Thais in general are far more tolerant about everything around them (smokers, noise etc). They would wonder what all the fuss is about. I'm sure they must have many inside jokes about how Farang always kick up such a fuss about what they would consider minor things.

Ever stepped over someones food ??

not such a big deal huh ??

I'm sure that the majority of the restaurants where Xen experience this inconvenience are owned/managed by foreigners so I would not call it a cultural thing rather a lack of business ethics.

If this happens to me my usual response is asking the offender if it bothers him that I eat while he smokes.Most of the time he gets the message straight away

Edited by pipo1000

I'm sure that the majority of the restaurants where Xen experience this inconvenience are owned/managed by foreigners so I would not call it a cultural thing rather a lack of business ethics.

If this happens to me my usual response is asking the offender if it bothers him that I eat while he smokes.Most of the time he gets the message straight away

Actually i was refering to falung operated places and was just suggesting if it is a smoking tolerant place to give us pre-warning so we do not expect a smoke free envirionment to eat in. . Just give us the freedom of choice . And i don't think it is a minor thing when you have forked out between 400 to 1000 baht (or more) for a meal for your family /friends to have it ruined by smokers , especially if the management sides with the smokers.

it is a minor thing when you have forked out between 400 to 1000 baht (or more) for a meal for your family /friends to have it ruined by smokers , especially if the management sides with the smokers.

No, it's obviously not a minor thing for you, but this is Thailand and it is a minor thing for Thais... therefore my comment that this is a cultural thing - they are tolerant, you are not. They will not necessarily understand all the fuss you make about what they consider a minor issue.

Just find a nice air-conditioned restaurant in a shopping mall - problem solved.

Edited by tropo