Farming Forum Meeting 5

My internet is so slow I can't get google maps up most of the time. Here it is amatter of type in notes cut and paste when I get a signal post, Easy way to figure out where I am is to go to maps find the Thai/Lao/ Cambodia border [Emerald triangle] From cambodia follow the Lao border north for around 50km . Or google ban sang hom issan. Jim

Jim, This map is based on information you gave earlier in the thread. Is it correct? If so it may be of help to others trying to find you. WF

Map to Jim Collister.pdf

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My internet is so slow I can't get google maps up most of the time. Here it is amatter of type in notes cut and paste when I get a signal post, Easy way to figure out where I am is to go to maps find the Thai/Lao/ Cambodia border [Emerald triangle] From cambodia follow the Lao border north for around 50km . Or google ban sang hom issan. Jim

Jim, This map is based on information you gave earlier in the thread. Is it correct? If so it may be of help to others trying to find you. WF

Map to Jim Collister.pdf

Good shooting WF that's pretty close. When the time gets nearer I will give written instructions for a meeting place, probably at the factory which is on the 2248 about 15 km south of Buntharik. Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

....................... So the get together is still on, but will have to be in July at this point. Bergen is back so will catch up with him and see what we can arrange. Think it will be a lower turn out due to the isolation and distance. If I can get some numbers for the 7th of July it would help. Jim

Hi Jim, Any more details or confirmation on date yet? WF

Good timing WF, just returned from the big city of Buntharik and we have a new motel Nearby, walking ditance is a bar that could pass as a farang bar, snooker tables. Spoke to the owner, who tells me he is a farang, but speaks no English and is fluent in Issan/Lao. Also within walking distance are 4 or 5 Thai bamboo type bars with young Lao hostesses. That for the more adventurous.

So the 7th is a go, if we meet at the little factory, I will stoke up the BBQ, supply the ice and soft drinks. Bring your own beer and we will play it by ear. Those who want to look at rubber trees no problem, those who are interested in the sheet making process bring a camera,

As it gets later we will head off to town for the night, can arrange transport from the factory to town for those who have had a few to many and they can pick up their cars the next morning.

We are easy to find about 13 km south of Buntharik or 70 km along the 2248 from Nam Yuen, Hopefully will have replaced the sign at the factory [ someone burnt it down while is was in OZ] Sign will have a kangaroo painted on it.

Who wants a room or if you want to sleep rough bring a hammock. Jim

Check out the sausage shopping list attached. First Isaan release of all 13 flavours at Jims place. Preorder or buy on the day. My pork but someone elses magic. Read it through. My idea was to get to Jims for lunch and try a couple, few more for dinner and clean up trying the rest for breakfast.

Sausage Flyer.pdf

Isaanaussie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi James, First time Poster, My wife and I went to the last two meetings, we are looking forward to meeting you and all the other people we met before , Is the ''ROO SIGN '' up in front of your factory yet? what colour is it?, See you there, i'm comming from UBON. Helmuth

...................... Who wants a room or if you want to sleep rough bring a hammock. Jim

Hi Jim, Please book a room with AC and ensuite for me and TW, it's a long way from Roi Et to you so we'll probably arrive early to mid afternoon. Looking forward to seeing you and everyone else then. Cheers WF

...................... Who wants a room or if you want to sleep rough bring a hammock. Jim

Hi Jim, Please book a room with AC and ensuite for me and TW, it's a long way from Roi Et to you so we'll probably arrive early to mid afternoon. Looking forward to seeing you and everyone else then. Cheers WF

Done WF, Bergen has been on to me to get a bit more pro active on spreading the wordm he's right. So at this point WF, Bergen, SS from the forum and 3 or 4 others from word of mouth.

Will tell the hotel to expect about 6, not that they will let me book them as all hotels in the area are also short time rooms. Not to worry as anyone who needs a room will find one with aircon etc

Will post a direction and meeting points tomorrow. Jim

Hi Jim, Thanks. Based on your latest information I have updated my map to show the location of your factory 13 km south of Buntharik on the 2248, copy attached. Is this about right, it may help other people find you too. Cheers WF

Map to Jim Collister.pdf

Think you must have been a missile targeting guy in a previous life, think you hit the office roof.

Hopefully the sign will be back up, but nothing happens fast here. Jim

Hi James, First time Poster, My wife and I went to the last two meetings, we are looking forward to meeting you and all the other people we met before , Is the ''ROO SIGN '' up in front of your factory yet? what colour is it?, See you there, i'm comming from UBON. Helmuth

Will be good to meet you again Helmut.........biggrin.png

Well it is getting closer. The wife and I will be bringing a guest couple as well, the sausage guy Roger Payne, and he is bringing a stock of sausages. For those of you who are attending you will get to sample some and be expected to buy lots! Post 38 has the brochure details for anyone who wants to preorder. If you cant make it but want to try some, send me a PM.

Isaanaussie

Well it is getting closer. The wife and I will be bringing a guest couple as well, the sausage guy Roger Payne, and he is bringing a stock of sausages. For those of you who are attending you will get to sample some and be expected to buy lots! Post 38 has the brochure details for anyone who wants to preorder. If you cant make it but want to try some, send me a PM.

Isaanaussie

Looking forward to trying some of the sausages. thumbsup.gif

Bergen, Harry and I will be in bkk, till the 8th.

Maybe we will have to reschedule. If we do, we will both come.

Ok, keep me updated..........biggrin.png

Hi all,

lets get down to the nitty gritty of where and how. Thanks to WF you should be able to find me from his map. Those coming with Trond will have no trouble as he has been here before.

For those coming from the north, don't think anyone is coming down the road from hell Chong Mek south, but if anyone is don't. Go by the west side of the lake. When you get to Buntharik you will see one of those Thai signs that you drive under announcing the town. On the left just as you pass you will see a pink motel [resort ] that's the best you will get in town. Go in and get a room on your way throw, as I said most places here are used for short time and no matter what the guy at the hotel tells me. he will grab the cash from a short time, booked rooms or not. Secure your bed for the night.

Now you have a place to sleep it off, continue into the town untill you get to a bank on the right at a cross roads. Turn right on to the 2248 sign will say Nam Huan 70 km. Drive about 13 km and on the right, I hope by then there will be a new sign with Sarah Jane and a kangaroo. If not I will tie some balloon to the burnt out sign.

Here's my phone number 08 0488 4958, so any problems give me a call.

I will have the BBQ stoked up and ready to go , will have ice and soft drinks for the kids, if any. Wives who knows, mine will probably take them back to the house to eat som tam or such. Bring your own beer or what ever your poison is.

Figure have some food pour a few beers down and head to town before dark [ no problem with bandits this year ] but not good driving after dark unless you know the place.. Pink hotel and others nearby are walking distance to what we will call a farang type bar, has 3 snooker tables and they know we are coming. For the more adventurous there are 5 or more kareoke bars within walking distance, ergo why all rooms are often used for short time.

See you all next Saturday and hope the rains keep away for the day. Jim

To those who pass my (wife's) place on Saturday, I will not be there, but will come down to Jim from Ubon.

The July Ubon Hash Run will be moved from Saturday 7th, to be a Friday 6th evening pub to pub run, just to give those interested a chance to have a double pburp.gif ss.

Btw. Jim, - SantiSuk is a maybe on Sat. rolleyes.gif

Seems that there'll be a good crowd at Jim's, and I'm really looking forward to Saturday.....thumbsup.gif

Good event for anyone who would like to meet some "down to earth" farangs biggrin.png

Have booked 7 rooms at the pink hotel, they only have 10, but there is another just up the road [walking distance] not so new. First in best dressed.

Anyone have any direction problems or late arrive times, don't want anyone getting lost in the badlands after dark. Jim

Hi Jim. I will be coming along with my TW. looking forward to meeting you and seeing the other guys again. Regards Ian.

Ian, is John coming? I thought you were bringing him? WF

I think he is coming, we were going to discuss it tomorrow over a game of golf.I will confirm later in the week. thanks Ian. Edited by ib1b4