2 Killed, One Hurt In High-Speed Crash On Bangkok Tollway

webfact

2 killed, one hurt in high-speed crash on tollway

The Nation

30180885-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- Two people were killed when a Porsche collided with a Toyota Fortuner pickup truck early yesterday on the tollway in Bangkok's Lak Si district.

The collision took place at 12.30am in the right lane of the outbound tollway near the headquarters of the Daily News newspaper. Police found the body of Major Sakdipat Pathummarak - the son of former Thai Rak Thai Party executive Chranchai Pathummarak - in the driver's seat of the truck, which had been rammed from behind by the Porsche.

In the driver's seat of the Porsche, whose front section was wrecked, they found the body of Thaifa Chayaworaprapa, 54, Buddy Group executive and owner of the Buddy Village Hotel on Khao San Road.

The driver of a third car caught up in the collision, Amnat Klinyoo, 30, was injured.

An investigation showed that the vehicles ended up 120 metres from the spot where they collided, and that both vehicles had been travelling at high speed. The Porsche's speedometer was stuck at 280km per hour. Police were checking the tollway's CCTV footage.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-28

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I notice the "accident" occurred in the Right hand lane , Thai's are notorious "road hogs" and so how wide the road is ,many insist on driving in the outside lane and no matter how much you flash your headlight or sound your horn they just WILL NOT move to the left so the car at the rear can safely and legally overtake , I have truly lost count of observing them driving in the outside lane then swing to their left to make a left hand turn without even indicating their intentions !!. the "rule of the road" is quite simple ,keep to the left unless overtaking or turning right , this bit of common sense it Totally unknown to the vast majority of Thai drivers.

Sounds like the states except there it is the left lane for fast driving but the idiots still believe it is for them and them alone.
  • Like 1

I been driving here for 20 years without a scrash.

Wish I could say the same, unfortunately I have been the victim of Thai stupidity on the roads several times.

I could count the apologies received on one hand though.

What is it with their indiscipline, arrogance and lack of manners on the roads?

Easy ... no discipline ...too much arrogance thinking they are the best ... worse drivers ever and of course no regulation

• Like 1

280 KPH ??? That is 173 MPH , on a Thai toll way......This is clearly a case of Darwin's law at work. Perhaps in order to help ensure the survival of the hisos and their idiot off spring, these high powered sports cars should be speed limited...That would also have the double benefit of helping to stop the killing of other innocent people such as the other driver here who was killed.

Maybe not so innocent, if he had been driving in the inside lane he would not have been "rear ended" would he., they spend hundreds of millions on road widening schemes here ,many times its a waste of money cos they still only use one lane ,the right hand one!!
  • Like 1

280 KPH ??? That is 173 MPH , on a Thai toll way......This is clearly a case of Darwin's law at work. Perhaps in order to help ensure the survival of the hisos and their idiot off spring, these high powered sports cars should be speed limited...That would also have the double benefit of helping to stop the killing of other innocent people such as the other driver here who was killed.

Why would you limit the car? The car didn't drive itself that fast. The other driver that was killed was also driving excessively fast according to the article so maybe they were racing. If the car was limited they would just find a way to disable it. TiT.

This is what I have found out in Thailand. If you do not want to be rear-ended stay in the left lane if you are not going above 200km/hr. I have nearly (thankfully I always scan the mirrors and made some quick escapes from fast approaching vehicles that were oblivious to to the fact I was on the road) been rear ended so many times previously as 140km/hr is just too slow to stay in the right lane in Thailand.

Edited by heiwa

Why would you limit the car? The car didn't drive itself that fast. The other driver that was killed was also driving excessively fast according to the article so maybe they were racing. If the car was limited they would just find a way to disable it. TiT.

I'd love to see the fortuner pickup? that can do 280kph. Judging by the damage the porche was travelling significantly faster than the car it rear ended.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

• Like 1

My friend told me about this yesterday when he was called by the family. He's good friends with the owner of Buddy/Susy W and is obviously upset. I almost hope it was mechanical failure rather than human error/stupidity for his and the family's sake.

Sent from Android please excuse errors in type or judgement

This is what I have found out in Thailand. If you do not want to be rear-ended stay in the left lane if you are not going above 200km/hr. I have nearly (thankfully I always scan the mirrors and made some quick escapes from fast approaching vehicles that were oblivious to to the fact I was on the road) been rear ended so many times previously as 140km/hr is just too slow to stay in the right lane in Thailand.

I have lost count of the Hundreds of Sugar cane wagons and trailers many in "convoy" sauntering along in the right hand lane doing a breathtaking 60KPH totally oblivious of the cars backed up behind who want to get past them.

My friend told me about this yesterday when he was called by the family. He's good friends with the owner of Buddy/Susy W and is obviously upset. I almost hope it was mechanical failure rather than human error/stupidity for his and the family's sake.

Sometimes its better to stick to arcade games. Edited by heiwa
  • Like 1

Mechanical failure!!! , the car must have been running like a dream to do that speed ,this is a major problem with most Thai drivers ,they just will not accept responsibility for their own actions, Thailand,s famous one liner," the driver fled the scene"!!

Throttle stick!

Clutching at straws I know but as I said my good friend is quite distraught...

Don't think many understand the importance of working tail lights as well.

Glad you brought that up, this is a major problem with Motor cycles ,cos when driving your car at night especially when its raining and a driver coming from the opposite direction has undipped headlights on blinding you its next to impossible to see the motorcyclist until you are right on top of him, I said to a guy at our local not long ago ,that life is cheap here ,he remarked yeah its 30 baht ,why I Inquired , he just said that,s the cost of a new rear light bulb on a motorbike. Edited by Colin Yai
  • Like 1

A Fortuner doing 280km? I dont think so. To hazard a guess, Mr. Porche was screaming up the tollway in the outside lane and Mr. Fortuner, driving along as normal, changed lanes to overtake the third vehicle and moved into the right lane. Mr. Porsche, going too fast to avoid or slow down, slams into the back of him. Keep in mind if the Porsche hit the breaks just before slamming into the Fortuner, then conceivably he was going faster than 280km.

I notice the "accident" occurred in the Right hand lane , Thai's are notorious "road hogs" and so how wide the road is ,many insist on driving in the outside lane and no matter how much you flash your headlight or sound your horn they just WILL NOT move to the left so the car at the rear can safely and legally overtake , I have truly lost count of observing them driving in the outside lane then swing to their left to make a left hand turn without even indicating their intentions !!. the "rule of the road" is quite simple ,keep to the left unless overtaking or turning right , this bit of common sense it Totally unknown to the vast majority of Thai drivers.

There was a 3rd vehicle involved. Possibly, the Fortuner was, indeed, in the coveted right lane to pass this vehicle.

280 KPH equates to over 250 feet per second. Doesn't leave many options when closing in on much slower traffic.

Then again, at impact, the accelerator may have locked, causing the spike in the speedo.

Sounds like the states except there it is the left lane for fast driving but the idiots still believe it is for them and them alone.

I agree with the above statement. I have driven over 9,000 miles accross 18 states in the USA and lane etiquette is unheard of. Even with my American friends in the car they say "its ok to stay in this lane".

Similair mentality here in Thailand, I stick to a speed that suits the road and traffic situation, much to the annoyance of the locals. Many times I have seen high powered sports cars speeding excessively. It is only a matter of time before some innocents are killed. My condolences to the families.

There was a 3rd vehicle involved. Possibly, the Fortuner was, indeed, in the coveted right lane to pass this vehicle.

280 KPH equates to over 250 feet per second. Doesn't leave many options when closing in on much slower traffic.

Then again, at impact, the accelerator may have locked, causing the spike in the speedo.

Of course there are loads of "possibiltys" as to why this happened ,but that does not alter the simple fact that most Thai's are not fit the push a baby carriage never mind a high powered car, and lets be honest about this ,the so called"driving test" is a joke, this coupled with bone idle police who do not do the job they are paid for, upholding the law , is a recipe for disaster, it brought a smile to my face when I read about the 7 "dangerous days" over Songkran ,of course I apologize for being brutally truthful but the "dangerous days" on Thailand,s roads are 365 days to the year!.
  • Like 2

If he really was doing 280 kph then reckless stupidly on his part was involved.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com