2 Killed, One Hurt In High-Speed Crash On Bangkok Tollway

webfact

I been driving here for 20 years without a scrash.

Wish I could say the same, unfortunately I have been the victim of Thai stupidity on the roads several times.

I could count the apologies received on one hand though.

What is it with their indiscipline, arrogance and lack of manners on the roads?

Easy ... no discipline ...too much arrogance thinking they are the best ... worse drivers ever and of course no regulation

Well, maybe I wish to voice another tone here. I am now 22 years behind the steering wheel in Thailand and in average I drive some 45,000 to 50,000 Km per year. Major destinations are Vientiane, Phnom Penh, Sihanoukville, Phuket. I must admit that I have seen substantial changes and improvement in the driving style of the Thais, although this is not a plea to justifiy the crazy driving from some single drivers (and I find them most between the mini-van drivers). Indeed, they drive right, ALWAYS and never make way for any other car. Indeed they still go for 120-140 Km/Hr. despite the new stringent regulation for these pubic vans. But in general the driving style of the majority of Thai drivers has improved a lot and is becoming close to "standard". Compare with Laos and Cambodia and you will soon stop complaining...

Edited by dude007

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wish I could say the same, unfortunately I have been the victim of Thai stupidity on the roads several times.

Easy ... no discipline ...too much arrogance thinking they are the best ... worse drivers ever and of course no regulation

Well, maybe I wish to voice another tone here. I am now 22 years behind the steering wheel in Thailand and in average I drive some 45,000 to 50,000 Km per year. Major destinations are Vientiane, Phnom Penh, Sihanoukville, Phuket. I must admit that I have seen substantial changes and improvement in the driving style of the Thais, although this is not a plea to justifiy the crazy driving from some single drivers (and I find them most between the mini-van drivers). Indeed, they drive right, ALWAYS and never make way for any other car. Indeed they still go for 120-140 Km/Hr. despite the new stringent regulation for these pubic vans. But in general the driving style of the majority of Thai drivers has improved a lot and is becoming close to "standard". Compare with Laos and Cambodia and you will soon stop complaining...

True story! Compare it with Boston or New York, and it would seem like a drive in heaven...LOL. Not only will we climb up your bumper at 160 Km, we will flip you the bird while we pass on the wrong side. Flip us back? We do the "Pull over and let's settle this now" wave. Thais are not the best, not the worst, just trying to get 'er done. Come to Boston, were we actually street fight at traffic lights. At least Thais are polite about it.

There are two kinds of racists in the world:

(1) “I am not a racist, I just think people of other colors and cultures are inferior and should be treated like animals.”

(2) “I am a racist, and make no apologies for it. I hate these people.”

If I had to choose, I would actually prefer the company of “Group 2.” At least they are honest.

Is Thai Visa really just a chat room for racists?

Yesterday, the Expat community lost a dear friend, a truly unique individual and he will be missed by those who knew him. I was impressed by the genuine and thoughtful postings. Not corny, or “hippie philosophy” or “all about me” Real genuine sorrow and support for those who were saddened by his passing.

Well, you see…Thai people, and let me underscore that…they are people, just like you…with friends; families and feelings…also suffer when people die. It is not funny, it is not a time to judge, second guess and paint with a broad brush of insensitive hate.

Many postings seem to create a “mirror world” reality. When Western Politicians engage in every conceivable crime, up to and including murder…it is “Business as usual, nothing to see here..move on.”

Same behavior from a Thai? The Devil Walks the Earth! Beware! Hide the women and children!

When hundreds of Thai people die in holiday accidents…Thai Visa sees it as fodder for joke after joke. When there is a tragic accident, it is “Good riddance, one less monkey to feed.” When an expat dies…the correct, respectful and sincere postings come to the surface.

Why is it funny when Thai people die? Why is it funny when Thais lose their homes in floods? Why is it only Thai politicians who tell convenient lies and break rules?

Why do you live here?

violin.gif

• Like 2

280 KPH ??? That is 173 MPH , on a Thai toll way......This is clearly a case of Darwin's law at work. Perhaps in order to help ensure the survival of the hisos and their idiot off spring, these high powered sports cars should be speed limited...That would also have the double benefit of helping to stop the killing of other innocent people such as the other driver here who was killed.

Why would you limit the car? The car didn't drive itself that fast. The other driver that was killed was also driving excessively fast according to the article so maybe they were racing. If the car was limited they would just find a way to disable it. TiT.

A Fortuner doing 280km? I dont think so. To hazard a guess, Mr. Porche was screaming up the tollway in the outside lane and Mr. Fortuner, driving along as normal, changed lanes to overtake the third vehicle and moved into the right lane. Mr. Porsche, going too fast to avoid or slow down, slams into the back of him. Keep in mind if the Porsche hit the breaks just before slamming into the Fortuner, then conceivably he was going faster than 280km.

The best theory yet. Looking at the photo of crash, the left side 'a-pillar' looks pretty good (comparing to the rest of the car), so he must have tried to take evasive action of some kind!

And somehow the Porsche ended up infront of the Fortuner (left edge of photo)? Must have been some impact..

Tools plain and simple good for the rest of us that these two are off the roads. Sorry to sound harsh but I've no sympathy for idiots who think they will lose face because a fortuner is getting the better of his Porsche. I would hazard a guess, because seen it all too often here, they were racing each other. Get well soon third and innocent driver.

I haven't read anything that would make me believe that the Fortuner driver was guilty of anything besides being in the way of a speeding bullet. Although a cowboy, in a Fortuner, might initiate a "race", I doubt the Porsche diver took advantage to pass when the Fortuner driver missed a shift!

Seems like the tool in the Porsche came on a situation and couldn't handle it.

As far as the Fortuner driver "hogging" the fast lane goes, he could have just as easily been passing himself. It wouldn't have been too hard to misjudge the closing speed of the Porsche. Late at night, it's not a good idea to pass on the left. Never know when a dimly lit truck might be cruising the two left lanes at 20 KPH.

(1) “I am not a racist, I just think people of other colors and cultures are inferior and should be treated like animals.”

If I had to choose, I would actually prefer the company of “Group 2.” At least they are honest.

Yesterday, the Expat community lost a dear friend, a truly unique individual and he will be missed by those who knew him. I was impressed by the genuine and thoughtful postings. Not corny, or “hippie philosophy” or “all about me” Real genuine sorrow and support for those who were saddened by his passing.

Well, you see…Thai people, and let me underscore that…they are people, just like you…with friends; families and feelings…also suffer when people die. It is not funny, it is not a time to judge, second guess and paint with a broad brush of insensitive hate.

Many postings seem to create a “mirror world” reality. When Western Politicians engage in every conceivable crime, up to and including murder…it is “Business as usual, nothing to see here..move on.”

Same behavior from a Thai? The Devil Walks the Earth! Beware! Hide the women and children!

When hundreds of Thai people die in holiday accidents…Thai Visa sees it as fodder for joke after joke. When there is a tragic accident, it is “Good riddance, one less monkey to feed.” When an expat dies…the correct, respectful and sincere postings come to the surface.

Why is it funny when Thai people die? Why is it funny when Thais lose their homes in floods? Why is it only Thai politicians who tell convenient lies and break rules?

Why do you live here?

Come on Richard in BKK, slow down. I cannot see the racist outlook in these postings as you see. I rather believe that this kind of regretful accidents is for a great deal their (and I mean of course "The Thais") fault. They really have no feeling of danger and they simply don't see it. How many fathers you have already seen with their baby in front of them steering the car... how many ladies you see driving their bike with the helmet in the basket... how many pick ups you see driving in the opposite direction along a highway... how many motorbikes sneek through the red traffic lights... and tell me honestly: you see the same amount of these stupidities in Europe? Of course not. Happily, this has in my opinion NOTHING to do with racism and indeed, you're right: they are people like you and me, with families, loved ones, friends and deserve a same respect in forums like this. In this way your contribution is correct!

• Like 2

Why do you live here?

Come on Richard in BKK, slow down. I cannot see the racist outlook in these postings as you see. I rather believe that this kind of regretful accidents is for a great deal their (and I mean of course "The Thais") fault. They really have no feeling of danger and they simply don't see it. How many fathers you have already seen with their baby in front of them steering the car... how many ladies you see driving their bike with the helmet in the basket... how many pick ups you see driving in the opposite direction along a highway... how many motorbikes sneek through the red traffic lights... and tell me honestly: you see the same amount of these stupidities in Europe? Of course not. Happily, this has in my opinion NOTHING to do with racism and indeed, you're right: they are people like you and me, with families, loved ones, friends and deserve a same respect in forums like this. In this way your contribution is correct!

Agreed. They (The Thais) surely don't seem to care enough to effect any perceptible change. Not only that, they are endangering more than just themselves. They are endangering ME, too. So, I think this is where the lack of sympathy comes from for some of us. If they don't care, why should I? If a man doesn't seem to value his life OR that of others (including mine), why should I keep a place in my heart for him or anyone like him?

Also, I think you're being disingenuous when you claim Westerners wouldn't complain just as much if the same or similar lack of safety precaution and ubiquitous carelessness and indifference toward others safety happened anywhere in the West. I just don't see it that way. We Westerners complain about EVERYTHING anyplace we see injustice or stupidity. :)

I think what you see as racism against the Thais, I often see as 'stupid-ism'. We see stupid things, nobody caring to correct the mistakes, and the result is endless criticism.

Edited by xthAi76s
  • Like 1

As a modern Porsche owner, it is no way possible for the speedo to Jam at a certain speed seeing its a digital dash.

Yes it has a needle but it doesn't work like the old analog needles and would reset once the power cut or wheel speed declined.

• Like 1

Why do you live here?

Agreed. They (The Thais) surely don't seem to care enough to effect any perceptible change. Not only that, they are endangering more than just themselves. They are endangering ME, too. So, I think this is where the lack of sympathy comes from for some of us. If they don't care, why should I? If a man doesn't seem to value his life OR that of others (including mine), why should I keep a place in my heart for him or anyone like him?

Also, I think you're being disingenuous when you claim Westerners wouldn't complain just as much if the same or similar lack of safety precaution and ubiquitous carelessness and indifference toward others safety happened anywhere in the West. I just don't see it that way. We Westerners complain about EVERYTHING anyplace we see injustice or stupidity. smile.png

I think what you see as racism against the Thais, I often see as 'stupid-ism'. We see stupid things, nobody caring to correct the mistakes, and the result is endless criticism.

Wow, thank you both for a genuine and thoughtful reply. Well said from both. What a pleasant surprise. I was expecting "Flame" and got great replies!

My posting is heart felt, and if only put next to this one event, even a bit over the top. It was an expression of frustration with the general tone of most threads, not this one specifically. I see it more of an evolutionary process. I was born in 1954. No seat-belts, no airbags, no minimum crash testing standards. When i was 16 and got my license, the joke was that the Pennsylvania driving test really should be, can you light a cigarette, open a beer and get a BJ all at the same time without changing lanes... :-) The cars were big, fast and handled like a slurry truck over-loaded. In the American metro areas, the left lane, the "passing lane" speed for the morning commute is 80MPH (130 km). Bumper to bumper, couldn't fit a kitten between the two cars. Even the police cruise that lane at 130Km and do not pull you over. We PASS at about 100 MPH (160 Km). We have incredible smash ups, but because of all our safety equipment, walk away from a lot of wrecks. Thais die in what we would call (not in this case, of course) low speed collisions because they drive vehicles that would fail every western safety requirement. Again, 1971.

Thai's are just catching up to our Western standards, and it will be w while until they even reach "1995" so to speak.

Yes, we love to complain, it is part of our culture, and the one I miss least living here. But TV is more than complaining. It is flavored with contempt for Thailand, and even occasionally comes dangerously close to offending special people who only a fool would insult in any way.

I get want you both are saying, and appreciate it. Am I perfect. That is almost funny. No. Of course not. Do I sometimes behave poorly out of frustration being charged more for the same bowl of soup the Thai in front of me just bought? Etc...Yes, I do. Do I sometimes think, "Come on, this is not rocket science, you are on the wrong side of the road, what do you think will come of that???" Absolutely

But then I remember that in terms of infrastructure, driving and other things...it is 1971 and it will take time to see it our way.

While driving standards are not quite as good here as at home, pretty stupid to blame this particular incident on 'the Thais'. Rich dudes with more money than sense drive their sports cars too fast and kill themselves and others in every country

As a modern Porsche owner, it is no way possible for the speedo to Jam at a certain speed seeing its a digital dash.

Yes it has a needle but it doesn't work like the old analog needles and would reset once the power cut or wheel speed declined.

Great point. As you know, the Porsche doe not only go fast, it stops on a dime. Those brakes are massive! In your opinion, and having first hand knowledge....considering the distance the wreck traveled...do you think he even went for the brakes? It seems like he was caught completely unaware and hit him full force with no deceleration. Your opinion does have value...you drive one.

My friend told me about this yesterday when he was called by the family. He's good friends with the owner of Buddy/Susy W and is obviously upset. I almost hope it was mechanical failure rather than human error/stupidity for his and the family's sake.

Sent from Android please excuse errors in type or judgement

Mechanical failure!!! , the car must have been running like a dream to do that speed ,this is a major problem with most Thai drivers ,they just will not accept responsibility for their own actions, Thailand,s famous one liner," the driver fled the scene"!!

Agreed...173mph is just about as stupid as stupid gets...

Ditto. Why do nice polite people like the Thai's grow horns and a tail when they get into (or onto) a vehicle? They turn into arrogant road hogs who have to get in front at ANY cost. No concept of road craft or manors what so ever. 200 baht and Buddha will sort everything out.

RIP to the latest unfortunates of the madness that passes for driving here. We all know we'll be having this conversation again and again on this forum. Until the law gets stick and is enforced, as it is in our home nations, nothing will change.

Why? Because Thais are not allowed to show their built up aggression when they can be seen. Why do you think most cars here (including police cars) have film on side windows and windscreen so you cannot see who is driving? And they cannot see much when it is dark either. Those covered windscreens are unlawful too, did you know?

• Like 1

I notice the "accident" occurred in the Right hand lane , Thai's are notorious "road hogs" and so how wide the road is ,many insist on driving in the outside lane and no matter how much you flash your headlight or sound your horn they just WILL NOT move to the left so the car at the rear can safely and legally overtake , I have truly lost count of observing them driving in the outside lane then swing to their left to make a left hand turn without even indicating their intentions !!. the "rule of the road" is quite simple ,keep to the left unless overtaking or turning right , this bit of common sense it Totally unknown to the vast majority of Thai drivers.

If you drive in Thailand please learn the highway code first - it is legal to overtake a vehicle driving in the outside lane by using an inner lane!

On television news they showed the pin that was stuck between 200 and 300. It was definitely not at 0.

Does everyone else here not understand that driving is Asian kryptonite?

here is my penis, here is my penis extension - available in 2 wheels or 4...

i've seen a thai penis, and an extension would have helped !

I notice the "accident" occurred in the Right hand lane , Thai's are notorious "road hogs" and so how wide the road is ,many insist on driving in the outside lane and no matter how much you flash your headlight or sound your horn they just WILL NOT move to the left so the car at the rear can safely and legally overtake , I have truly lost count of observing them driving in the outside lane then swing to their left to make a left hand turn without even indicating their intentions !!. the "rule of the road" is quite simple ,keep to the left unless overtaking or turning right , this bit of common sense it Totally unknown to the vast majority of Thai drivers.

If you drive in Thailand please learn the highway code first - it is legal to overtake a vehicle driving in the outside lane by using an inner lane!

I think Colin Yai is perfectly aware of Thai driving law as slower moving traffic should always be in the left lane.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

• Like 1

well,..thats news to me ,, pity the BIB did'nt penalise more speeding drivers in flash motors and donate it to the education of drivers and put some in the kitty for the kids getting an education on a par with african nations .

The speedo in a fortuner only goes up to 200, and I don't think it can go much beyond an indicated 180 so there's no possibility that it was racing against the Porsche. (speeding maybe, but there's no way the two cars were racing each other).

The guy in the Porsche was obviously travelling at speed, but barring a brake problem or the driver having a heart attack at the wheel, would have probably slowed in time if he'd seen someone in the outside lane in front of him. (Porsches do have good brakes)

Pure speculation, but the Fortuner might have pulled into the right hand lane to overtake just as the Porsche was reaching him, too late for the Porsche driver to brake (and at 280km/h, the Porsche was basically doing double the speed of the Fortuner, so not the Fortuner driver's fault as he might have checked his mirror before pulling out and still not seen the Porsche with it going at that speed). It would also explain a third car being involved.

Indeed on of the most plausible causes of the accident. If the Porsche was doing 280km/h and the Fortuner was doing let's say 130km/h in the right lane, for sure the driver of the Porsche had seen the Fortuner (it's the same as doing 150km/h at which you are still able to see what happens in front of you) and hit his brakes. The brakes in the Porsche are very good and he should have enough time to slow down enough to at least hit at a consiberable lower speed.

With this in the back of the mind it looks indeed that the Fortuner wanted to overtake when the Porsche arrived. Of course it's not the brightest idea to drive 280km/h on the Thai roads, since Thais don't seem to use their mirrors often (I know from experience!). It could be that the driver of the Fortuner didn't look into his mirrors or he did and then waited a few seconds to overtake, started overtaking and then the Porsche arrived.

• Like 1

315 km/h on the Autobahn? Really! Your driving prowess amazes me. Less impressed with your cerebral powers. There's only one place for 315 km/h and it's a professional race circuit, and not a public highway, albeit one without a legal speed limit. Incidentally the "design speed" for the Autobahn is 160 km/h!

I was born in Germany and drove over 30 years km on German "Autobahns" I drove 315 km/h with a 560 Mercedes and 300 km/h on a motorcycle. Generally said, there's no speed limit. The advisory speed can easily be topped by 200 km/h.......

.The German autobahns are the nationally coordinated motorway system in Germany. In German, they are officially called Bundesautobahn(plural Bundesautobahnen, abbreviated BAB), which translates to federal expressways. German autobahns have no general speed limit, but theadvisory speed limit (Richtgeschwindigkeit) is 130 kilometres per hour (81 mph)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_autobahns wai.gif

both vehicles had been travelling at high speed.

Two less idiots to worry about on the roads.

Farangtalk. Why do you say the two drivers killed were idiots? Were you a witness to this crash? I could be wrong, but it looks to me going by what I've read, one of the drivers may have been innocent, depending of course how fast he was travelling.

They are Thai, they were born in a third world country, therefore, they have third world mentality, it doesn't matter whether they are driving or doing anything else. The bottom line is the majority of Thai people have a very poor mentality.

If you meet me on the road and I'm doing 120 kph and you flash your lights at me, you can kiss my butt, I am not moving over. You want to go faster go around me. I will not stop you from being foolish.

only if said vehicle is turning right.

Edited by thequietman
  • Like 1

Thais often ride people's bumper at high speeds so i'm not surprised this happened. He probably thought he was god like and invincible in his hi-so misbegotten Porsche. Darwin always wins in the end though.

Then why are these forums running for so long?

One of the problems with driving at high speed is to have the skill and the ability not only to calculate your speed but the speed of the vehicle in front and then to calculate your closing speed and distance. Extremly difficult for even the best drivers as anybody who has driven at speed will know and even in FI events how many incidences are caused by one car clipping the rear trye of the car in front. Pure human error . That is why i shit myself when i see the grill of a yaa baa bus bearing down on me in my rear vision mirror at an unknown speed. Not only do i question their driving ability but the probability it is being governered by an substance that makes them feel like superman.

Edited by xen