2 Killed, One Hurt In High-Speed Crash On Bangkok Tollway

webfact

Yes, and I've lived there for 3 years... Fujian area. Your rebuttal is not really valid here as I am not talking about China. The Chinese in Thailand -- generally relatively far wealthier than your typical mainland Chinese -- are quite a world different. They are Thailand's elite. If you want a better comparison, you'd compare to Hong Kong Chinese or Singapore Chinese. All elite. No culture is perfect, but the Chinese are a great civilization of people known all over the world for their work ethic and ambition. They've shaped Thailand into a 'somewhat' modern (although still rather superficially so) modern country and continue to take it in a good direction.

More to the topic, for example, in China, let's say a similar accident happened. Let's say the a guy in a Porsche ran down another car by carelessly doing almost double the speed limit.. And, let's say that the guy in the Porsche happened to live. In China, no matter how wealthy the guy in the Porsche is, he'd be arrested and some punishment would be handed out. I'm not saying that this would occur 100% of the time. Again, no place is perfect. But, in Thailand, you NEVER hear about anyone with wealth or power EVER being given serious punishment for their crimes.

Native Thai culture is lazy. The Chinese had the Great Leap Forward and look at them today. In just a couple decades they are moving forward at incredible speed. Shanghai is as modern a city as most any in Europe or the US. The growth in wealth is extraordinary. They actually apply rule of law -- quite seriously in fact. People are sacked for crimes -- even powerful people. Hell, people are even executed for heinous crimes. Thailand? No way. 'mai pen rai'. There's no 'mai pen rai' in China.

The accident is another clear example of the cultural failure of the Thais to be responsible.

Er that reads like Thailand's elite don't get punished.

Chinese Thais are Thailand's elite

Chinese Thais made this country what it is

Sent from Android please excuse errors in type or judgement

Can you please name me any Thai Chinese Elite or their "connections" ,Starting with Multi billionaire Thaksin and finishing up with the spoiled brat "Mercedes driver" who have finished up in the Slammer for their "misdirection's"laugh.pnglaugh.png

Sentenced to jail is not the same as going to jail. Or going to jail for the first week and then going home.
  • Like 1

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, and I've lived there for 3 years... Fujian area. Your rebuttal is not really valid here as I am not talking about China. The Chinese in Thailand -- generally relatively far wealthier than your typical mainland Chinese -- are quite a world different. They are Thailand's elite. If you want a better comparison, you'd compare to Hong Kong Chinese or Singapore Chinese. All elite. No culture is perfect, but the Chinese are a great civilization of people known all over the world for their work ethic and ambition. They've shaped Thailand into a 'somewhat' modern (although still rather superficially so) modern country and continue to take it in a good direction.

More to the topic, for example, in China, let's say a similar accident happened. Let's say the a guy in a Porsche ran down another car by carelessly doing almost double the speed limit.. And, let's say that the guy in the Porsche happened to live. In China, no matter how wealthy the guy in the Porsche is, he'd be arrested and some punishment would be handed out. I'm not saying that this would occur 100% of the time. Again, no place is perfect. But, in Thailand, you NEVER hear about anyone with wealth or power EVER being given serious punishment for their crimes.

Native Thai culture is lazy. The Chinese had the Great Leap Forward and look at them today. In just a couple decades they are moving forward at incredible speed. Shanghai is as modern a city as most any in Europe or the US. The growth in wealth is extraordinary. They actually apply rule of law -- quite seriously in fact. People are sacked for crimes -- even powerful people. Hell, people are even executed for heinous crimes. Thailand? No way. 'mai pen rai'. There's no 'mai pen rai' in China.

The accident is another clear example of the cultural failure of the Thais to be responsible.

Er that reads like Thailand's elite don't get punished.

Chinese Thais are Thailand's elite

Chinese Thais made this country what it is

Sent from Android please excuse errors in type or judgement

Can you please name me any Thai Chinese Elite or their "connections" ,Starting with Multi billionaire Thaksin and finishing up with the spoiled brat "Mercedes driver" who have finished up in the Slammer for their "misdirection's"laugh.pnglaugh.png

Not my comment merely seeking clarification on what seemed to be a couple of posts praising Thai Chinese, them being better than standard Chinese but then saying the point that they don't go to jail is a problem made by every day Thai people that they wouldn't get away with in China.

I'm confused as to who and where is better after those 2 posts.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/129283-man-rams-benz-into-bus-passengers-killing-one/Just Curious, Has any one got the "low down" on what happened to the "Mercedes Driver" personally I am highly skeptical that he is serving his sentence or even served 6 months ,forgot what the judgement was ,but it was considerable. Edited by Colin Yai

I'm more curious of any follow up on the school boy who cut the Lao girl in half with daddy's porsche!

If my memory serves me right , "Daddy" paid the unfortunate Girls mother some heavy bread and it was all swept under the carpet !. Edited by Colin Yai

both vehicles had been travelling at high speed.

Two less idiots to worry about on the roads.

I regret that I have to admit that every time I see mangled motor scooters spread about on the road I cannot stop myself thinking exactly the same thing. My wife's daughter was involved in a road accident and she ended up with a fractured skull, broken jaw and lost a lot of teth. Still she rides around without wearing a helmet. Peter, Paul and Mary were right. When will they ever learn? All road transports are missiles - treat accordingly.

The stuck needle on the speedo is not a good indication of the Porche’s speed at the time of the crash. It needs to be determined through microscopic examination under ultra violet light if the needle did not “bounce” and get stuck at that position. http://books.google.com/books?id=jQVOyOmKj6oC&pg=PA157&lpg=PA157&dq=speedometer+needle+indication+of+speed+in+crash&source=bl&ots=1fzsLQYznN&sig=UhZIxhodmZD47zGSHGSkED9dzKM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=gwqeT-bJFIWqrAeuxKxv&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=speedometer%20needle%20indication%20of%20speed%20in%20crash&f=false

There is little doubt the Porsche driver was going very fast, but I seriously doubt it was 280km. I suspect that investigation will find it was more likely in range of 220-30kpm, which is still way too fast, but at least that is controllable on that road. 280KPM would be real test for even a highly skilled driver.

I have never seen the dash on a GT2 but I did find this which says the rev counter goes to 6,700.

http://www.carsession.com/car-news/porsche-911-gt2-rs-review-video.html

TH

Don't think many understand the importance of working tail lights as well.

Glad you brought that up, this is a major problem with Motor cycles ,cos when driving your car at night especially when its raining and a driver coming from the opposite direction has undipped headlights on blinding you its next to impossible to see the motorcyclist until you are right on top of him, I said to a guy at our local not long ago ,that life is cheap here ,he remarked yeah its 30 baht ,why I Inquired , he just said that,s the cost of a new rear light bulb on a motorbike.

They never check my little Honda when I take it for the Tax/Ins; each year, just the bit of masking tape to take the frame number, next day pick up of Tax and Ins; the number of motorbikes I see without a rear light is amazing, obviously nobody ever does an MOT here, if the tail light is out I wonder what else is wrong with the bikes on the road.

It wouldn't take a minute for BiB to check lights, turn indicators, brakes and tyre wear when pulling anybody over. Any defects found then a ticket(s) is issued and the vehicle stays where it is, or towed away, until faults rectified. To suit Thai practice an on the spot fine (bribe) for each fault found. Give a UK cop any lip and he would look to throw the book at you if he can.

The stuck needle on the speedo is not a good indication of the Porche’s speed at the time of the crash. It needs to be determined through microscopic examination under ultra violet light if the needle did not “bounce” and get stuck at that position. http://books.google.com/books?id=jQVOyOmKj6oC&pg=PA157&lpg=PA157&dq=speedometer+needle+indication+of+speed+in+crash&source=bl&ots=1fzsLQYznN&sig=UhZIxhodmZD47zGSHGSkED9dzKM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=gwqeT-bJFIWqrAeuxKxv&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=speedometer%20needle%20indication%20of%20speed%20in%20crash&f=false

There is little doubt the Porsche driver was going very fast, but I seriously doubt it was 280km. I suspect that investigation will find it was more likely in range of 220-30kpm, which is still way too fast, but at least that is controllable on that road. 280KPM would be real test for even a highly skilled driver.

I have never seen the dash on a GT2 but I did find this which says the rev counter goes to 6,700.

http://www.carsession.com/car-news/porsche-911-gt2-rs-review-video.html

TH

Damage looks consitent with that speed and more often than not, those stuck speedos are fairly accurate. In response to above, no I don't condone. I am just saying that GT2 has incredible brakes and it appears he did little if anything at all to avail himself of those big brakes.

My daily drivers since around 2001 have been various 996 & 997 twin turbos, hence screen name. These cars quickly jump to that speed and pull as hard at 150 mph as they do at 50 mph or so it seems. You gotta be a bit determined and have some cojones to get to 180 mph or 190 mph (not good at km conversion) on highway as things start approaching very fast. Most back out at 150 mph. I have hit 202 in a 2004 996tt with 750 hp at wheels (hybrid turbos, stand alone fuel management, and GT2 intercoolers) and slightly taller gearing.

The 996 GT2s were a handful as no electronics such as PTM or PSM and two wheel drive unlike twin turbos having AWD. Big ceramic brakes though could slow it down quickly with no modulation from speeds of 280km. Dude was either hammered or had poor reflexes and extremely poor car control abilities.

Edited by ttelise

] Wikipedia: Future Shock[/b] is a book written by the futurist Alvin Toffler in 1970. In the book, Toffler defines the term "future shock" as a certain psychological state of individuals and entire societies. His shortest definition for the term is a personal perception of "too much change in too short a period of time".

Too many toys being placed within reach of the children.

No discipline.

No conscientiousness

No cognizance

No sympathy

No remorse

No foresight

No logic

No reasoning

No responsibility

Too much greed

Too much selfishness

Too much me me me

Too much apathy

Stubborn

Stiff-necked

Severe personality disorders

One can go on and on

This is going to happen continuously!

This is similar to the Peter Principle: The observation that in an hierarchy people tend to rise to "their level of incompetence." Thus, as people are promoted, they become progressively less-effective because good performance in one job does not guarantee similar performance in another.

Since nationalism, xenophobia, corruption and lack of proper development and familial upbringing (among others) encourage the promotion of a false sense of grandiose self-worth and pride, is it any wonder that combining this mentality with new technology and removing discipline and punishment as a governor, that people's untempered minds will accelerate into corruption and stagnation, and many will be the ones who perish daily in the most absurd ways?

There simply seems to be a lot of that here; more than most other places, and without having to responsibly answer for it.

• Like 1

The stuck needle on the speedo is not a good indication of the Porche's speed at the time of the crash. It needs to be determined through microscopic examination under ultra violet light if the needle did not "bounce" and get stuck at that position. http://books.google....n crash&f=false

http://www.carsessio...view-video.html

TH

Damage looks consitent with that speed and more often than not, those stuck speedos are fairly accurate. In response to above, no I don't condone. I am just saying that GT2 has incredible brakes and it appears he did little if anything at all to avail himself of those big brakes.

My daily drivers since around 2001 have been various 996 & 997 twin turbos, hence screen name. These cars quickly jump to that speed and pull as hard at 150 mph as they do at 50 mph or so it seems. You gotta be a bit determined and have some cojones to get to 180 mph or 190 mph (not good at km conversion) on highway as things start approaching very fast. Most back out at 150 mph. I have hit 202 in a 2004 996tt with 750 hp at wheels (hybrid turbos, stand alone fuel management, and GT2 intercoolers) and slightly taller gearing.

The 996 GT2s were a handful as no electronics such as PTM or PSM and two wheel drive unlike twin turbos having AWD. Big ceramic brakes though could slow it down quickly with no modulation from speeds of 280km. Dude was either hammered or had poor reflexes and extremely poor car control abilities.

Regardless of the morality of driving at such speeds which some posters have already referred to I tend to agree that this is somewhat of a shocking accident in that the driver appears to have shown no evidence of reacting to a slower car in front.

The third vehicle appears to have simply run into the wreckage.

If the accident is as we suspect, i.e. the GT2 rear-ended the Fortuna, then the driver of the GT2 appears to have simply not seen the Fortuna.

I suspect the rear lights of the Fortuna were not functioning and the Porsche simply didn’t see it, possibly didn’t even get a chance to break.

In this scenario a combination of, high speed, poor road lighting, (possible) poor car maintenance were to blame. Improve anyone one of these things and a tragedy could have been avoided.

It just proves exactly what they say on the motorbike forums: Always drive within your visual range.

] Wikipedia: Future Shock[/b] is a book written by the futurist Alvin Toffler in 1970. In the book, Toffler defines the term "future shock" as a certain psychological state of individuals and entire societies. His shortest definition for the term is a personal perception of "too much change in too short a period of time".

Too many toys being placed within reach of the children.

No discipline.

No conscientiousness

No cognizance

No sympathy

No remorse

No foresight

No logic

No reasoning

No responsibility

Too much greed

Too much selfishness

Too much me me me

Too much apathy

Stubborn

Stiff-necked

Severe personality disorders

One can go on and on

This is going to happen continuously!

This is similar to the Peter Principle: The observation that in an hierarchy people tend to rise to "their level of incompetence." Thus, as people are promoted, they become progressively less-effective because good performance in one job does not guarantee similar performance in another.

Since nationalism, xenophobia, corruption and lack of proper development and familial upbringing (among others) encourage the promotion of a false sense of grandiose self-worth and pride, is it any wonder that combining this mentality with new technology and removing discipline and punishment as a governor, that people's untempered minds will accelerate into corruption and stagnation, and many will be the ones who perish daily in the most absurd ways?

There simply seems to be a lot of that here; more than most other places, and without having to responsibly answer for it.

quite correct in every sense of the word .

The stuck needle on the speedo is not a good indication of the Porche's speed at the time of the crash. It needs to be determined through microscopic examination under ultra violet light if the needle did not "bounce" and get stuck at that position. http://books.google....n crash&f=false

TH

I'm unsure if you meant to agree with me or not, but your post is reinforcing what I said, but you appear to not realize that 280kph is 175mph. As you said, he would have to be really pushing to get the car up to that speed and hold it for any amount of time.

On that road, at night, traveling at 175mph he would have had his hands full just trying to keep it on the road, much less been able to see anything in front in time to take any action, much less be able to do any sort of controlled braking if the Fortuner changed into his lane. Even at 230kph (145mph) he would still be struggling to keep control and would be in big trouble if something got into his path.

Found this video of 175mph on the autobahn. Keep in mind that the Don Muang tollway is a 3 lane (on each side) concrete roadway, with big, bumpy, expansion joints every 100 meters or so and it is anything but a smooth surface like yo see in the video. He would have been bouncing all over the place every time he hit a joint in the road.

I do disagree that the location of the speedo needle after such a crash is an accurate indication of his speed at the time of the crash. They will need to do an examination of the faceplate to look for marks where the needle struck during deceleration. The forces of the crash will make the needle jump all over the place and its final resting place is random. Do the G2 have black boxes?

TH

Seems not only fast retarded drivers in Los.....that guy in the cool brown vinyl jacket.....rather close to the Audi....and over 200kph one handed.....

Its all fun until somebody is hurt and then there'll be cryin.

The driver in the video is an idiot. One handed driving, and when two hands are on the wheel they are in the middle of it where you have little or no control whatsoever should an emergency situation arise. I just don't understand where a lot of peoples brains go when they are in charge of a guided missile.

• Like 1

TH

I'm unsure if you meant to agree with me or not, but your post is reinforcing what I said, but you appear to not realize that 280kph is 175mph. As you said, he would have to be really pushing to get the car up to that speed and hold it for any amount of time.

On that road, at night, traveling at 175mph he would have had his hands full just trying to keep it on the road, much less been able to see anything in front in time to take any action, much less be able to do any sort of controlled braking if the Fortuner changed into his lane. Even at 230kph (145mph) he would still be struggling to keep control and would be in big trouble if something got into his path.

Found this video of 175mph on the autobahn. Keep in mind that the Don Muang tollway is a 3 lane (on each side) concrete roadway, with big, bumpy, expansion joints every 100 meters or so and it is anything but a smooth surface like yo see in the video. He would have been bouncing all over the place every time he hit a joint in the road.

I do disagree that the location of the speedo needle after such a crash is an accurate indication of his speed at the time of the crash. They will need to do an examination of the faceplate to look for marks where the needle struck during deceleration. The forces of the crash will make the needle jump all over the place and its final resting place is random. Do the G2 have black boxes?

TH

You are absolutely correct, yes they do. A number of different ECU's which also have a 'black box' function, in the car will provide all the the information needed, especially if that car has PCM.

There are two quite famous USA cases, one involving a 996 Turbo and the other a Corvette, where the respective manufacturer's were compelled to release the information those cars had stored. Both drivers got severely dealt with as a result.

The needle position of both speedo and rev counter is meaningless after an impact as severe as this obviously was.

As I mentioned to a previous poster earlier, the speeds shown on the speedo and the rev counter do not tally for that particular model. However 280 KPH makes really nice reading for the sensationalists.

No doubt the GT2 was going way too fast though, just maybe not 280.

The bottom line is, that particular Porsche has everything on board for any interested organisation, to discover some very important facts. I guess they probably have no interest. Just saying...........

TH

TH

Haha, no I get basic conversion and I was thinking 180 mph. I just mention that the twin turbos (which the GT2 is also) pull really hard at 150 mph. Down force and hp start becoming an issue around 170, but acceleration is still pretty swift afterwards.

Most people just have no concept as to how quickly you can get to these speeds and when driving it seems very abrupt if not used to it. The speedo looks like a tach up to about 175 ish or so.

I fully get that speedo needle is not ALWAYS accurate, but being a certified instructor for PCNA and racing factory Cup cars for them, I have unfortunately been all too familar with both people involved in high speed impacts and research regarding safety measures. I will say most of the time the speedos are pretty dam_n accurate.

I also had a friend who had a horrific accident in a Lotus Elise. The small little instrument pod was sheared off and laying hundred or so feet from the aluminum tub. It was pegged at 143 and I was thinking no way as I use a stripped down Elise (1750 pounds dry) for instructing and I can only hit about 130 mph on 2,800 foot straights as that car hits downforce and runs out of power quick there. Very anemic at 125 so he had to be making a long run at it. Investigation concluded speed at time of impact was 143.

This damage reminds me of damaged GT3 that Jackass costar dude died in and he hit a tree. The girl smacking toll booth in 996 cab was going about 120, but again she hit a concrete immovable structure.

• 2 weeks later...

As Reported on Thai News (Channel 3).

The Fortuna was travelling at 40 kmh

The Porsche was travelling at 280 kmh

Both Speeds were calculated from the Expressway CCTV Footage.

Both drivers were over the legal blood alcohol limit (the driver of the Porsche more than 2x the limit).

It was reported that the Porsche hit the rear of the Fortuna and basically went underneath it throwing the Fortuna into the air.

• Like 1

I notice the "accident" occurred in the Right hand lane , Thai's are notorious "road hogs" and so how wide the road is ,many insist on driving in the outside lane and no matter how much you flash your headlight or sound your horn they just WILL NOT move to the left so the car at the rear can safely and legally overtake , I have truly lost count of observing them driving in the outside lane then swing to their left to make a left hand turn without even indicating their intentions !!. the "rule of the road" is quite simple ,keep to the left unless overtaking or turning right , this bit of common sense it Totally unknown to the vast majority of Thai drivers.

If you meet me on the road and I'm doing 120 kph and you flash your lights at me, you can kiss my butt, I am not moving over. You want to go faster go around me. I will not stop you from being foolish.

You do realise that your attitude is the apparent cause of this fatal incident?

• Like 1

I notice the "accident" occurred in the Right hand lane , Thai's are notorious "road hogs" and so how wide the road is ,many insist on driving in the outside lane and no matter how much you flash your headlight or sound your horn they just WILL NOT move to the left so the car at the rear can safely and legally overtake , I have truly lost count of observing them driving in the outside lane then swing to their left to make a left hand turn without even indicating their intentions !!. the "rule of the road" is quite simple ,keep to the left unless overtaking or turning right , this bit of common sense it Totally unknown to the vast majority of Thai drivers.

If you meet me on the road and I'm doing 120 kph and you flash your lights at me, you can kiss my butt, I am not moving over. You want to go faster go around me. I will not stop you from being foolish.

Yes.

Drunk and doing 280 clicks is a minor issue.

Yes.

Drunk and doing 280 clicks is a minor issue.

Both are serious issues, but drunkenness had not been proven at the time of my post.

Speeding OTOH is a relative issue, depending on the vehicle, ability of the driver (real, not perceived), road and weather conditions. Would you feel safer in the Porsche at 130 or a '63 VW Beetle at 100?

Nobody has the god-given right to the fast lane, and I find it the height of ignorance and arrogance to say "I'm over the speed limit, anybody who wants to get past can get stuffed!"

Personally....I find the god given ignorance of some people that come speeding up behind you and expect you to get the <deleted> out of their way...even though their is a car in front of you...albeit several car lengths with me...and there are cars to my left that we are 'ALL' slowly passing at the speed we are travelling......for that ignoramus to expect me and everyone else to move over....so they can be one car and perhaps 2 seconds ahead of their schedule.....but still lined up behind all the other cars overtaking.....those ignorants deserve what they get and I do not ever let them past until it is convenient.....but as is usual with these ignorants, they cannot wait and usually cut and swerve and endanger everyone else.

My personal favourite passtime in this situation....passing cars that are in the left lane at a steady pace with other cars in front of me doing the same....is to see how many times I can get them to try to pass on the left but they run out of space by the time I catch up to the next car and they then have to duck back in behind me and try again....my record thus far is 7 times trying.....the ability to learn and think is somewhat dormant.

• Like 1