Dutch Laws Set To Weed Out Stoned Tourists

webfact

Dutch laws set to weed out stoned tourists

AMSTERDAM: -- This country of canals and tulips is also famous for "coffee shops" where joints and cappuccinos share the menu. Now, the Netherlands' famed tolerance for drugs could be going up in smoke.

A judge on Friday upheld a government plan to ban foreign tourists from buying marijuana by introducing a "weed pass" available only to Dutch citizens and permanent residents.

The new regulation reins in one of the country's most cherished symbols of tolerance - its laissez-faire attitude toward soft drugs - and reflects the drift away from a long-held view of the Netherlands as a free-wheeling utopia.

For many tourists visiting Amsterdam the image endures, and smoking a joint in a canal-side coffee shop ranks high on their to-do lists, along with visiting cultural highlights such as the Van Gogh Museum and Anne Frank House.

Worried that tourism will take a hit, the city's mayor, Eberhard van der Laan, is hoping to hammer out a compromise with the national government, which relies on municipalities and local police to enforce its drug policies.

Relaxing outside The Bulldog, a coffee shop in downtown Amsterdam, Gavin Harrison and Ian Leigh of Northern Ireland said they hoped the city wouldn't change.

"I think it's going to be a shame for Amsterdam; I think it's going to lose a lot of tourists," Harrison said. [more...]

Full storry: http://www.smh.com.a...0428-1xr4m.html

-- The Sydney Morning Herald 2012-04-28

footer_n.gif

For varying reasons my 3 favorite cities in the world are:

San Francisco, Bangkok and Amsterdam.

I'll be crossing Amsterdam off that list, although I must admit, I didn't know they had fields of tulips and an art museum. The Ann Frank house is there? Maybe they should give everyone a list of sites to see and if you visit 3 then you get a free 'coffee house' pass. (My last contribution to visiting a museum, was the sex museum).

• Like 1

Don't worry, it is just a scam to promote two tier prices. One for Duch people and one for foreigners. Dutch people can buy over the counter at regular price, which they then can sell to foreigners at inflated prices.

The good old days of selling and buying on the streets are back gain.

I was just in Amsterdam a few months ago and nobody is partuicularly worried....it will be business as usual again soon enough although not as "in your face" as before. I can see their tourist trade taking a big dive however....I did the canal thing but once that is done there isnt a lot more they have to offer really. In fact, Amsterdam isnt that nice really when you compare it to places like Paris, Madrid and London...pretty boring and droll really.

I'll be crossing Amsterdam off that list, although I must admit, I didn't know they had fields of tulips and an art museum. The Ann Frank house is there? Maybe they should give everyone a list of sites to see and if you visit 3 then you get a free 'coffee house' pass. (My last contribution to visiting a museum, was the sex museum).

Whenever I go my Mum asks whether I visited the Ann Frank house. Frankly though once you get sat down in the grasshopper you tend to lose track of time. This is a big shame by the way and probably a knee jerk measure to reduce the crime problem of certain (ahem) sectors of Dutch society selling hard drugs to, or mugging weed tourists.

I am being sarcastic, of course. I've seen the tulip fields--they are really fun to look at (especially if you've spent some time in the coffee shop before).

I am reasonably sure the Dutch have a reasonably good reason for changing the regulations. With or without the coffee shop attraction, Amsterdam remains an interesting place.

I can speak as a tourist who has been to Amsterdam three times in my life. The first time I was only 15 and don't think they had coffee shops. Was too busy being amazed at all the offers of free accommodation and a possible career in the movies from strange men at Centraal Station. The second time I don't really know if they had legal coffee shops yet, was too busy with the club scene/tourist activities, etc. The third time I visited a coffee shop. It was too strong and I could feel the effects for weeks. I actually regretted the visit but did enjoy it at the time. I never would have bothered if it was illegal and I don't think Amsterdam really needs these coffee shops for their tourism industry.

Fersure, Thailand could learn another trick from the Europeans.

Prostitution is officially illegal in Thailand, but it's all over, and is the primary lure for its tourist revenue.

Drugs are officially illegal here also, yet with a bit of adjustment, it could be another big lure for Thai tourism, particularly if made available in similar way as some European 'coffee shops.'

To make that work, Thais would need to stick a rag in T's mouth, and lead Chalerm out to pasture with a string in his nose. Or, in 'carrot and stick' style, dangle a bottle of Johnny Walker in front of him while leading him to a Shanghai backrroom with a false floor, and a dinghy waiting below, and let him wake up dazed and incognito, in a Chinese junk sailing for the Nicobar Islands.

Whenever I go my Mum asks whether I visited the Ann Frank house. Frankly though once you get sat down in the grasshopper you tend to lose track of time. This is a big shame by the way and probably a knee jerk measure to reduce the crime problem of certain (ahem) sectors of Dutch society selling hard drugs to, or mugging weed tourists.

i haaaate the grasshopper, probably my least favourite place in amsterdam