Electric Rate Go Up?

lukeskywalker

Last month, I paid 3.59 baht (pre-tax) per unit of electricity. My gf told me that she heard that electric rates were to go up 8%, so I checked this month's bill and it is now 3.74 baht which isn't quite 8%. Also, does the rate increase with the amount that you use? For example, I've heard that if you bill is less than 200 or so baht, they wont even bill you. So I don't know if my increase is because of higher use (last month=544 units, this month=937), or if it is an across the board increase. OR, is the 8% increase still to come?

Anyone know or have info on this?

Thx

PS: Still a hell of a lot cheaper than the US!

Yes think yourself lucky you dont have a gas bill aswell.

Just got my bill yesterday 410 units for 1508bt, thats 3.67bt / unit all in (incl the tax/vat)

but it doesnt seem to have changed from previous months

I undderstand also that many of the dormitries that the Thais live in do have " free ride" upto x no of units, and as you rightly say, most dont even pay as they are subsidised

No doubt this increase will be passed onto the poor sods that already pay 7 baht a unit (double) in some apartments. Probably looking at 9 baht a unit.

yes i was going to add....dont make a big issue out this, "those poor sods" in the aparments are already getting ripped off double the standard rate....(and thats the price to pay for a so called cheap monthly rent i am afraid.)

This was the rate charged that I was given by the Electric Company. It seems to work for my units used.

0-150 units 2.7628 baht per unit

151-400 units 3.7362 baht per unit

over 400 units 3.9361 baht per unit

Standing Charge 38.22 baht

ft charge (currently 0, but 0.30 baht per unit from next month)

VAT at 7%

Edited by delboy

If you have your own transformer as I do then the rate is higher for 3 phase. If 3 phase passes your house and you are merely consuming what is supplied I do not believe you pay more for 3 phase.

I do not have 3 phase in the street at my house.

Is there a different rate schedule for 3-phase?

If you have your own transformer as I do then the rate is higher for 3 phase. If 3 phase passes your house and you are merely consuming what is supplied I do not believe you pay more for 3 phase.

Not sure I agree with that. If you have your own transformer then the rate should be lower. We happen to have a building where we installed the transformer on our own ground and the rate is cheaper than another building where we are supplied by the 'street' supply. Quite honestly it seems quite difficult to access a definitive and up-to-date information of tariffs.

// just checked our April 2012 bills and unit rate with own transformer is 3.75 baht and street supply is 4.16 baht (includes all extras & tax = gross bill charge)

Just had my bill and it's still the same rate as last month but I do know it's going up shortly. It used to be free if you used 90 units or less but that was scrapped when the current Government got in so now there is no free ride.

Seems we get the same deal but will check if still so.

Wife recons we do until contract expires ..however ..tomorrows another day ..so..as said..

Not sure but I believe the rates were to go up in the more affluent areas to compensate for the lower rates in the poor areas.

Thank you Bangkokians for that.biggrin.png

Nothing to do with 'areas' more about how much electric you use. Homes using a fan and a few lights get charged the lowest rate per unit used. Start using an aircon = higher usage = a higher rate.

Not sure but I believe the rates were to go up in the more affluent areas to compensate for the lower rates in the poor areas.

Thank you Bangkokians for that.biggrin.png

Nothing to do with 'areas' more about how much electric you use. Homes using a fan and a few lights get charged the lowest rate per unit used. Start using an aircon = higher usage = a higher rate.

The monthly charge in the house I am in goes up from about 50 Baht to 350 to 400 Baht when I turn on the airconditioner 24/7.

I thought that the discounted electric deals, along with the water deal, went out when the Yellow shirts came in--but I am consistently wrong, usually. Yes, I know we don't have Yellows anymore but why would the newbies revert to giving us freebies again

The monthly charge in the house I am in goes up from about 50 Baht to 350 to 400 Baht when I turn on the airconditioner 24/7.

I find that hard to believe. Most places I have stayed and it's at least 2,000 baht for aircon on 24/7 at 22 deg C

I find that hard to believe. Most places I have stayed and it's at least 2,000 baht for aircon on 24/7 at 22 deg C

My home, well insulated unlike 99.9% of Thai homes, with a good quality A/C unit on at night in the bedrooms and set on 26 in my room and 27 in my daughters and my bills are just under 300 Bt. a month

Not sure I agree with that. If you have your own transformer then the rate should be lower. We happen to have a building where we installed the transformer on our own ground and the rate is cheaper than another building where we are supplied by the 'street' supply. Quite honestly it seems quite difficult to access a definitive and up-to-date information of tariffs.

// just checked our April 2012 bills and unit rate with own transformer is 3.75 baht and street supply is 4.16 baht (includes all extras & tax = gross bill charge)

My house in Hang Dong uses 3-phase (15/45) and a transformer installed by homeowner. Just looked over past 18 months of electricity bills, averaging 500 units per month (residential usage). If I divide basic charge (kha fai-fa than) by number of units consumed, I get a rate slightly below 3.75 baht per unit . . . . but not a nice round figure (10 decimal poiints!). Attached is a typical monthly bill.

Can someone explain the way my rate is calculated? Thank you!

electricity.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

I am talking about cooling only 1 bedroom. Not an entire house.