Soundproofing Water Pump

happydays

We live in a 2 storey house & have a water pump for when the government water pressure drops (which is everyday at the moment). It is situated outside the house & it's loud to the point of being annoying, for the neighbours as well I would have thought. Anyway, I was wondering if there was some way of soundproofing the pump, maybe by building a cover with cladding. Does the pump need air circulation to stop it from overheating? Anyone else found a good way to do this?

Thanks

Don't wish to sound daft, but I have lived in a few houses with pumps and none of them made noises which annoyed people. Is it possible that something is loose inside the plastic housing, and is the housing secure?

Actually water pumps can be very annoying in city environment with a neighbors bedroom often being within a meter or two of a pump. Starting solenoid itself can be noisy and water pumping even more so. Unfortunately the normal well pumps used are air cooled so sealing runs risk of overheating (although most are covered to protect from rain so unless extended running they should survive). Have seen a youtube video of person making wood/sound deadening material enclosure so it is done. Years (decades) ago I lined inside of cover with insulation and it helped reduce noise of a Mitsubishi 405 model.

If just a night thing perhaps just turning off at bedtime would help?

I think you could make a simple double enclosure based on the same principles that are used to sound proof a gas powered generator. There are tons of plans/pictures online if you approach your problem from that direction, obviously a generator is much louder and runs hotter so the same concepts should be more than sufficient.

I used polystyrene around mine which was to quiet it down for night time use and then put some wood panels over it which I had left over but we can hardly hear anything in the house.

Don't wish to sound daft, but I have lived in a few houses with pumps and none of them made noises which annoyed people. Is it possible that something is loose inside the plastic housing, and is the housing secure?

i have 2 of Mitsubishi pumps "lopburi3" mentioned. even when only one is running it produces an extremely ugly high frequency noise which is much more bothering than my 2hp pool pump or the 2hp irrigation pump running simultaneously. fortunately all the pumps are located in a little pumphouse.

A bit off topic, but my water pump cycles sometimes and usually in the morning hours. A rocket scientist with a post grad diploma in advanced pump pressure finetuning declared the pump having no plomplem and suggested digging up the house to find a leak in the pipe system.

Before he starts doing this, any other possible causes that come to mind? Why only in the morning? Pool refilling? Any other ideas?

!

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

I would suggest either building an over-sized enclosure around the pump using PP board (sometimes referred to as Future Board) available from Makro and using a hot glue gun to bond the panels together. Alternatively, purchase a suitably large trash can and sit that over the pump.

You should line the interior with a sound deadening material called M-Sorb available in Home Pro for around a thousand baht per pack; 4 pieces of 60cm by 60cm. It has a noise reduction coefficient of 0.45 which is okay for high-frequency sounds.

A bit off topic, but my water pump cycles sometimes and usually in the morning hours. A rocket scientist with a post grad diploma in advanced pump pressure finetuning declared the pump having no plomplem and suggested digging up the house to find a leak in the pipe system.

Before he starts doing this, any other possible causes that come to mind? Why only in the morning? Pool refilling? Any other ideas?

!

Are you using pump full time or only when water pressure is low (could be just source pressure change so needed intermittently)? Is there pool refilling at that time? Or some other usage only in morning? It could be a tap not closing immediately? If an actual leak in pipe would expect it to continue so don't believe digging will be required. Normal trouble shooting for me would be to shut water at exit of pump and confirm no more cycle.

• Like 2

!

Are you using pump full time or only when water pressure is low (could be just source pressure change so needed intermittently)? Is there pool refilling at that time? Or some other usage only in morning? It could be a tap not closing immediately? If an actual leak in pipe would expect it to continue so don't believe digging will be required. Normal trouble shooting for me would be to shut water at exit of pump and confirm no more cycle.

toilet cistern seals leaking ? garden taps leaking ? check anything that has a seal in it first...but yes isolate at pump if it cycles off then problems lays beyond that ... i had a similar problem and was able to isolate sections of the house , found the leak close to outer wall under slab , elbow had a very fine crack , fixed easily but finding it not so easy ...

to the OP ..pressure pumps give off a small amount of noise , are you sure its not a bearing gone on the pump ? if you dont use it that often its quite possibly a bearing seized up ...

!

toilet cistern seals leaking ? garden taps leaking ? check anything that has a seal in it first...but yes isolate at pump if it cycles off then problems lays beyond that ... i had a similar problem and was able to isolate sections of the house , found the leak close to outer wall under slab , elbow had a very fine crack , fixed easily but finding it not so easy ...

Just like to add that my problem is the check-valve and the tank ball-cock, both do not seal properly.

my water pump cycles sometimes and usually in the morning hours

leaks are usually not limited to morning hours ermm.gif

Hello , just my 2 cents worth , i have 2/ 20,000 plastic tanks on each side of a huge shed which i use for our water consumpsion and yes the pump i was using was noisy , i got around the problem by placing the pump in the ground with a sound proof lid , just make sure the hole is about 3 times the size of the pump .

Cheers .

my water pump cycles sometimes and usually in the morning hours

leaks are usually not limited to morning hours ermm.gif

Could be that at these times the cycling pump is noticed more easily because the house is more quiet?

Or maybe temperature related problems?

I had pump troubles myself last month and the pump had erratic behavior every now and then (no pattern). I wonder whether problems (especially if the pump itself is leaking/failing) could be related to outside temperature (e.g. the material deforming).

We eventually had the pump replaced. Problem solved.

Hello , just my 2 cents worth , i have 2/ 20,000 plastic tanks on each side of a huge shed which i use for our water consumpsion and yes the pump i was using was noisy , i got around the problem by placing the pump in the ground with a sound proof lid , just make sure the hole is about 3 times the size of the pump .

Cheers .

be ready to change the pump in a few years , the moisture in the hole will kill the pump ......