Fla. Infant Dies After Being Held Under Scalding Water By Teen Mom

News_Editor

Fla. infant dies after being held under scalding water by teen mom < br /> 2012-04-29 05:52:53 GMT+7 (ICT) PORT RICHEY, FLORIDA (BNO NEWS) -- A two-month-old baby from Florida who was critically injured earlier this month when he was held under scalding water by his mother as punishment has died at a local hospital, officials said on Saturday. His teen mother remains in jail.Emilio Jesus Bautista suffered severe burns on April 16 when his mother, 18-year-old Chekayla Ariel Dampier, placed him in an infant wash tub at her Port Richey home and ran hot water over him for two to three minutes. The abuse happened at around 1 p.m., but it took Dampier until 10 p.m. to bring her severely injured child to a hospital."Pasco Sheriff's detectives have confirmed that Emilio Jesus Bautista, severely burned when his mother Chekayla Dampier allegedly placed him under scalding water for several minutes, died this morning at Tampa General Hospital," sheriff's office spokesman Kevin Doll said on Saturday. "The case remains under investigation."According to a complaint affidavit written by Detective R. Grady, Emilio sustained severe burns to the head, chest and arms. "Physicians at TGH (Tampa General Hospital) advised the infant sustained severe second-degree burns causing damage that is undetermined at this point to the infants eyes and ears as well as the above mentioned body parts," he said in his report, filed before Emilio died on Saturday.Grady reported that Dampier initially blamed the incident on others but later changed her story when her statement was proven false. "Post Miranda, the defendant advised [..] she was frustrated with Emilio's crying for hours and admitted placing him in an infant wash tub and running hot water over him for 2 to 3 minutes," Grady reported. "The defendant advised she allowed the hot water to run directly on Emilio's head and body for 2 to 3 minutes. The defendant admitted Emilio was crying during the entire incident."Sheriff's investigators took the temperature of the hot water at Dampier's house and registered it at 142 degrees Fahrenheit (61.1 degrees Celsius). "The defendant admitted when drying Emilio off with a towel she observed his skin coming off and other parts of his skin were 'bubbling'," said Grady, who requested a high bond due to the severity of the injuries and the age of the victim.Dampier, who is unemployed and has a long history of arrests for thefts and other non-violent crimes, has been charged with aggravated child abuse resulting in great bodily harm, although the charge is likely to be upgraded following the infant's death. She remains at the Land O' Lakes Detention Center on $150,000 bond. tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-04-29

People should have to pass an IQ test before being allowed to breed.

have you noticed the outrage when you suggest something like this ?

I have said for a long time there should be a licensing system

You need a licence just to sell lemonade on the sidewalk in USA and for so many other things

and yet any irresponsible person is allowed to breed

Edited by Asiantravel

Not into the tooth for a tooth old testament\koran crap, imitating monkeys makes one a monkey,.......JUST STERILISE the woman.

Hopefully,If the sentence is long enough,her child bearing years should be long over,and no further danger to other children.

Not defending what happened but this woman is barely an adult herself who could not have been ready for parenthood. Was she suffering from the type of post birth depression many woman experience after having a child? Yes I know if she wasn't ready for parenthood then she shouldn't have had a child and yes she should be punished severely for this despicable crime. However our feelings need to be balanced by an understanding she herself was probably not in a rational state of mind when she did what she did.

Edited by Scott
formatting
  • Sad 1

my guess is she probably did not realize how hot the water was for the baby skin. she brought him to the hospital didn't she? at any rate, this sort of child abuse, whether intentional or not, is very common among underclass in the US, especially single young black mothers, so why is this case making the news? Hope she'll get a long prison term.

People should have to pass an IQ test before being allowed to breed.

have you noticed the outrage when you suggest something like this ?

I have said for a long time there should be a licensing system

You need a licence just to sell lemonade on the sidewalk in USA and for so many other things

and yet any irresponsible person is allowed to breed

Unfortunately the welfare state and sundry other well intentioned but ill thought out schemes make it easier for those totally unsuitable to have children than those who are more suitable to have them.

my guess is she probably did not realize how hot the water was for the baby skin. she brought him to the hospital didn't she? at any rate, this sort of child abuse, whether intentional or not, is very common among underclass in the US, especially single young black mothers, so why is this case making the news? Hope she'll get a long prison term.

oh pleeeeeze....rolleyes.gif

my guess is she probably did not realize how hot the water was for the baby skin

I agree that she did not intend to kill him. My guess is that she meant to hurt him badly and that no one would be the wiser.

Edited by Ulysses G.