Nearly Half Of Thais Believe PM Meeting With Gen Prem Good Sign For Reconciliation: Polls

Lite Beer

Nearly half of Thais believe PM meeting with Gen Prem good sign for reconciliation: Polls

image_20120429152224FD318A4B-FC76-8AB6-D218246AFC616D34.jpg

BANGKOK, April 29 - Nearly half of respondents believe the Thursday meeting between Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and Privy Council president Gen Prem Tinsulanonda is a good sign for national reconciliation, according to the capital's Suan Dusit and ABAC polls.

Assumption University's ABAC poll interviewed 2,259 persons in 17 province across the country between April 24-28 about their reactions on national reconciliation and issues they want the government to raise as the national agenda.

Almost half, or 49.8 percent of respondents, said they believed the meeting between Ms Yingluck and Gen Prem is a good start leading to concrete move for national reconciliation, while 26 percent do not believe that the premier's blessing by the privy council president or that the issuance of amnesty bill would work.

Ms Yingluck on Thursday, together with her three deputies, sought blessing from Gen Prem at his residence in Bangkok. Her move was both welcomed and opposed by several groups although she earlier said that the ceremony was simply organised in accordance with the custom of paying respect to elders during Songkran Festival and would not involve any politically-related discussions.

The poll director Dr Noppadon Kannikar said however 73.1 percent think some groups of people were attempting to obstruct the reconciliation process, while 26.9 percent do not believe such groups exist.

When asked what issues they want the government to tackle as a national agenda, 73.5 percent mentioned the cost of living and well-being as primary problems, followed by national reconciliation at 67.1 percent, education 64.7 percent, and the drug problems at 59.7 percent.

Meanwhile, the Suan Dusit Poll said on Sunday that 43.3 percent of respondents believed the premier's meeting with Gen Prem was politically motivated and showed the government's readiness to push ahead on national reconciliation.

The poll which surveyed 1,357 persons in Bangkok and its surrounding provinces however noted that 36.78 percent are uncertain what the government was doing in this case, while 19.92 percent do not think that the meeting is politicised.

The majority of respondents, or 54.79 percent, also expressed satisfaction on the Thursday meeting as they considered it as respecting and honoring one of the country's revered figures, while 48.65 percent said the atmosphere of national reconciliation will be improved after the meeting. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-04-29

I hope she will listen to Gen Prem and stop running the country to ground for benefit of her brother

She's running the country? I thought she was just eye candy to confuse those who think the real PM is located in Dubai.

I hope she will listen to Gen Prem and stop running the country to ground for benefit of her brother

She's running the country? I thought she was just eye candy to confuse those who think the real PM is located in Dubai.

Some reds speak about PM Thaksin like she doesn't exist at all

I hope he has the moral courage to listen to an elected Prime Minister.

if the "elected" (when were the Prime Minister elections?) has something to say, why not

if the "elected" (when were the Prime Minister elections?) has something to say, why not

if the "elected" (when were the Prime Minister elections?)

And isn't it normal to have a choice of MPs,nominated as a possible choice of PM? of which Yingluck was not even an MP!

Edited by MAJIC

It appears the reconcillation they are working for is BIG T to kiss up to Prem and get the ok to come home. But what about reconcillation for the red shirts and other Thais who gave blood for this fight. I think a few will wake up to the reality of the situation and know they have been bent over and had.

Why would he listen to her anyway he knows who is running the country from Dubai, sorry England for the game.

It appears the reconcillation they are working for is BIG T to kiss up to Prem and get the ok to come home. But what about reconcillation for the red shirts and other Thais who gave blood for this fight. I think a few will wake up to the reality of the situation and know they have been bent over and had.

Prem said at a Conference:

"Those who betray the country will meet a tragic end, that´s what I believe. Others can believe it or not, depending on their ethics and morality"

So nearly half of the Thais are smart people.

But knowing that the Nation has a very, very, narrow base for its poll, so I believe there is a very large support for reconciliation. Meaning for the return of Thaksin.

Why? Do you think she took a cake box with her?

But knowing that the Nation has a very, very, narrow base for its poll, so I believe there is a very large support for reconciliation. Meaning for the return of Thaksin.

It's not a Nation poll.

And it could have been 17 red shirt provinces, meaning against the return of Thaksin.

It isn't a poll conducted by The Nation..... can you now describe what 'nearly half' means in real terms?

I think it will be more of a trade off situation. Gen Prem is maybe a shadowy figure who walks around the institutions of the state using his undoubted clout who is not best pleased that Thaksin ordered his arrest on the night of the coup. I still believe Thaksins got enough on him to trade for his own freedom. Based on the reaction of red shirts over previous demonstrations they believe he is the coup master who removed their government. He the middleman for any intervention that involves the army removing governments (so they tell me). Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer. For anything like true democracy to be established in the country there is certain figures who need to be neutralised and detached from there power base. Heres hoping she will be knocking on a few more doors very soon

• Like 2

Public sees PM's Prem visit as aiding reconciliation

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thais believe Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's Songkran visit to Privy Council chief General Prem Tinsulanonda will pave the way for national reconciliation, according to two pollsters.

Abac poll released survey results yesterday showing that 49.8 per cent of respondents believed Yingluck's visit to Prem helped advance the cause of national reconciliation more effectively than issuing a royal amnesty and reconciliation law, while 26 per cent did not believe her visit would pave the way for national reconciliation. Some 22 per cent believed both her visit and a royal amnesty law would bring about national reconciliation.

Of the total respondents surveyed by Dusit poll, 43 per cent believed Yingluck's visit to Prem had a political implication, signifying readiness to bring about national reconciliation; 53 per cent believed her visit was to show respect to a respected national figure; 27 per cent believed it was to discuss important or confidential issues; and 14 per cent believed it was a good start to national reconciliation.

The Abac poll showed that although most Thais want peace and reconciliation, 73.1 per cent believe a group of people are orchestrating out of self-interest a movement that prevents national reconciliation because they do not want to lose power, while 26.9 per cent did not believe there was any such thing.

Asked by Abac how the country can arrive at national reconciliation, 35.2 per cent said bringing about social justice without discrimination; 30.2 per cent said getting conflicting groups to iron out their differences, curb prejudice and promote unity and compassion; 15 per cent said politicians must stop making conditions that lead to conflicts and the media must stop highlighting conflicts in their coverage; 14.2 per cent said bringing about equality and bridging the income gap would bring about reconciliation; and 5.4 per cent believed amnesty and amending the charter would do the trick.

Some 73.5 per cent believed the rising cost of living must be the government's top priority, followed by bringing about national reconciliation (67 per cent), improving quality of education (64 per cent), solving the drug problem (59 per cent), cracking down on corruption (57 per cent), and tackling political ethics problems (53 per cent).

In relation to the parliamentary voting scandal, 76.8 per cent believed MPs voting on behalf of absent colleagues violated political ethics.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-30

Will you never get it right the PM is a clone of a convicted criminal on the run from the law.

I hope and believe he has the moral courage to be polite to her and not just laugh in her face.

It isn't a poll conducted by The Nation..... can you now describe what 'nearly half' means in real terms?

He is saying that nearly 50% of the Thais are stupid.blink.png

I think it will be more of a trade off situation. Gen Prem is maybe a shadowy figure who walks around the institutions of the state using his undoubted clout who is not best pleased that Thaksin ordered his arrest on the night of the coup. I still believe Thaksins got enough on him to trade for his own freedom. Based on the reaction of red shirts over previous demonstrations they believe he is the coup master who removed their government. He the middleman for any intervention that involves the army removing governments (so they tell me). Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer. For anything like true democracy to be established in the country there is certain figures who need to be neutralised and detached from there power base. Heres hoping she will be knocking on a few more doors very soon

Spot on post, I would probably have dropped the maybe in the second sentence.

Regards

Hmmmm.....I suspect that most of this post is not far off the money.