PM Yingluck Tells Deep South Of Govt's Plans To Restore Peace In Region

webfact

PM tells deep South of govt's plans to restore peace in region

The Nation

30180960-01_big.jpg

Yingluck promises to encourage local participation, create more jobs

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said during her trip to the restive South yesterday the government would integrate all strategic plans to restore peace in accordance with His Majesty the King's guidance - understanding, reaching out and development.

Yingluck, together with her deputies Yongyuth Wichaidit and Yuthasak Sasiprapha, visited the predominantly Muslim region to meet religious and local leaders as well as officials of state agencies mobilising their participation to enforce government policies.

Many religious leaders urged her to visit the region regularly and encourage efforts to restore peace. She told them the government would step up security measures for the safety of local residents and promote all areas in the region equally.

The government would emphasise local participation, create jobs for local people and rely on peaceful ways to contain violence, she said.

On the security front, Deputy Prime Minister Yuthasak would chair a committee to implement policies and monitor how they were implemented, she said.

The Southern Border Province Administrative Centre (SBPAC) and the Internal Security Operation Command (ISOC) would co-ordinate closely to share manpower in security operations.

Deputy Prime Minister Kittirat Na Ranong would take care of economic development for the deep South, Yingluck said.

The situation in the region was normal yesterday when Yingluck visited. Sunday was one day after the eighth anniversary of the Krue Se uprising in which 105 young Muslims were killed during simultaneous attacks on security outposts in Pattani, Yala and Songkhla.

Violence in the deep South erupted in early 2004 and has seen more than 5,000 people killed since. The government blames separatist insurgents for the violence although no group has surfaced to claim responsibility.

Police yesterday presented suspect Amphan Wa-ngor, 25, to show his alleged involvement in a planned car bomb in Narathiwat's Wang district in March. Officials were able to defuse the bomb in front of an office of the Telephone Organisation of Thailand. Amphon was arrested in the early hours of yesterday at an undisclosed place.

Police arrested three suspects last week believed to be members of the same group under the Rundi Kumpulun Kecil (RKK). They were Nasori Ibraheng 31, Abdullah Samaea 38 and Taofic Ira, 24.

Police claim the suspects rode motorbikes to ascertain the situation while Abdullah drove a pickup with a bomb to park at the TOT site. Their leader Ahama Dalor is still on the run, police said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-30

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You cannot impose peace.

Peace comes through reconciliation, forgiveness, inclusion and proper understanding.

The foundation of which is respect for tradition, community values and cultural differences.

The caveat is that the conditions can only be created through a proper political process which, I regret to say, is lacking.

+1....Good post.

Ah.

She will have it fixed soon. After all "understanding, reaching out and development." is what the red shirts have shown to be their prime aim.

Ah. Another red shirt mention. How refreshingly tedious.

• Like 2

Has she explained her plan to her southern neighbors...?cheesy.gif

I have an idea. Yingluck could send loose cannon Isaan Rambo with about 5,000 of his rent-a-mob red thugs down south and let them clean out the terrorist. Oh wait.......I doubt of one group of terrorist would clean out another group of terrorists.
  • Like 1

Part or it she is in the process of discusing with them now.

I personally have no use for her she is to inept for the job.

But this time she has taken a huge stride towards calming the situation. Just Hope she stops with the false promises and gets honest with them. That would make a big difference. Also keep smiling and do not deviate from what her script writers tell her to say. For every visit to the North she should give one to the south.

• Like 1

If they want peace they better get a new suicide watch team. Not much more sickening than for parents to see their children die in prison.

Picking up the bloody pieces after they have been blown apart by a bomb might just top that. Some terrorist dies in prison - sympathy factor approaches zero.

I have an idea. Yingluck could send loose cannon Isaan Rambo with about 5,000 of his rent-a-mob red thugs down south and let them clean out the terrorist. Oh wait.......I doubt of one group of terrorist would clean out another group of terrorists.

This made me laugh...I agree...clap2.gif

First she should ask how many neighbors Thailand has on the southern border. Sure someone in the PTP will know.

Last time she was in Malaysia she met already the Malaysian President. Which most probably surprised the Malaysians as they didn't know they have one......

(maybe a bit better briefing next time)

• Like 2

I hope the three Ys (wise?)( Yingluck, Yongyuth and Yuthasak) succeed in convincing our southern Muslim population that they are sincere in their words and actions and not just trolling for votes in the next election.

It's hard to be positive about this ongoing situation as culturally they are quite different and have been more often ignored by Bangkok governments.

First she should ask how many neighbors Thailand has on the southern border. Sure someone in the PTP will know.

Last time she was in Malaysia she met already the Malaysian President. Which most probably surprised the Malaysians as they didn't know they have one......

(maybe a bit better briefing next time)

Now THAT is funny...clap2.gif

If they want peace they better get a new suicide watch team. Not much more sickening than for parents to see their children die in prison.

Picking up the bloody pieces after they have been blown apart by a bomb might just top that. Some terrorist dies in prison - sympathy factor approaches zero.

There we go using that word terrorist again - thinking that one word can define this problem - very intelligent - once again. Edited by heiwa

Ah.

She will have it fixed soon. After all "understanding, reaching out and development." is what the red shirts have shown to be their prime aim.

I think he was being sarchastic.

Ah.

I think people knew that - mca was probably wondering, as am I, how an OP about Yingluck visiting the south could possibly merit a mention of red shirts but the usual suspects cheerleaders have managed to do so. Bless.

• Like 2

There we go using that word terrorist again - thinking that one word can define this problem - very intelligent - once again.

I was merely pointing out that picking up the pieces of your child killed by a bomb may be a little more disconcerting than the news that your "freedom fighter" offspring (possibly responsible for similar bombings) has died in prison.

I would like to hear your more intelligent description of those who plant bombs to kill anyone unfortunate enough to be in the area, and in particular target schools and teachers, in the name of some obscure and unstated political goal.

Ah.

I think people knew that - mca was probably wondering, as am I, how an OP about Yingluck visiting the south could possibly merit a mention of red shirts but the usual suspects cheerleaders have managed to do so. Bless.

Because shit sticks.

Posted Yesterday

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said during her trip to the restive South yesterday the government would integrate all strategic plans to restore peace

Motorcycle bomb kills 2, wounds 6 soldiers in Thai south

Two Thai military rangers were killed and six were wounded on Tuesday when a bomb planted in a motorcycle exploded in the southern province of Pattani, a police officer said.

At least 5,000 people have been killed in southern Thailand since 2004 in violence attributed to Muslim separatists.

Police told Reuters that the soldiers from a ranger unit were travelling in a pickup truck, heading to an outpost when a bomb of up to 10kg was remotely detonated on a road near a military camp.

Continues:

http://www.straitsti...ory_794336.html

Reuters - May 1, 2012

Posted Yesterday

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said during her trip to the restive South yesterday the government would integrate all strategic plans to restore peace

Two Thai military rangers were killed and six were wounded on Tuesday when a bomb planted in a motorcycle exploded in the southern province of Pattani, a police officer said.

At least 5,000 people have been killed in southern Thailand since 2004 in violence attributed to Muslim separatists.

Police told Reuters that the soldiers from a ranger unit were travelling in a pickup truck, heading to an outpost when a bomb of up to 10kg was remotely detonated on a road near a military camp.

Continues:

Reuters - May 1, 2012

What you trying to say buchholz, go on spit it out.

Posted Yesterday

Continues:

Reuters - May 1, 2012

What you trying to say buchholz, go on spit it out.

Once again you fail to see the obvious.

There we go using that word terrorist again - thinking that one word can define this problem - very intelligent - once again.

I was merely pointing out that picking up the pieces of your child killed by a bomb may be a little more disconcerting than the news that your "freedom fighter" offspring (possibly responsible for similar bombings) has died in prison.

I would like to hear your more intelligent description of those who plant bombs to kill anyone unfortunate enough to be in the area, and in particular target schools and teachers, in the name of some obscure and unstated political goal.

One must look at the root cause of the problem - deaths in custody of innocents, drug wars & RAMPANT EXTORTION GANGS, inequitable wealth, corrupt government, indiscriminate killings of innocents (Tak Bai, Krue Mosque etc), clash of civilisations Muslims versus Buddhist with Buddhist enforcing their view of the world in a Muslim majority. I concede it probably is an impossible task to solve. The only solution is to leave the area and which they have in massive numbers. You have innocent muslims killed by a Buddhist government - is that not terror - or some may call it ethnic cleansing? Or is it because they are Muslims - they deserve to be killed of course. After all muslims are all terrorists if you believe Western propoganda. Blood would smell as sweet by any other name. You will find many of the soldiers being slaughtered are Muslims. And the reason they use bombs instead of guns is because the government has been extremely effective in disarming the region. They have no way to defend themselves against extrajudicial killings or dubious arrests. I would prefer the elite and politicians to put uniforms on and defend the South - then we really would see some heart felt meaningful problem solving. However there is no solution to this problem - that I am sure after interviewing many people from that area - the bigger problem for ordinary people is the mafia enforcing payments from all business and telling them how to live - this from my conversations is the reason for the many beheadings - not separatists. As we know in Thailand - mafia culture is impossible to stop. Who is doing the bombings??? - could it be mafia bombers - upset with the army curbing their extortion and drug rackets? I have never heard of any bombers being caught. Edited by heiwa

And the shootings of nurses - do you see the link. It has been reported that hospitals have been involved in selling drugs in the Deep South. Now this seriously pissed the drug lords off - so is it any wonder that hospital staff is a target of drug lords down here. And I'll let you work this one out - who-ever controls the borders controls the drug and cheap smuggled malay gas - you are talking Fortune 500 dollars here. All this creates a very explosive environment when all "residents" are vying for the biggest slice of the pie. Yes, and if a business does not pay the extortion fee - the employees start getting beheaded. This has nothing to do with "terrorists". It's all to do with the impossibility to stop the mafia. It may very well have been the mafia that bombed Lee Gardens - the army has commented that this may be the reason. If the army leaves the region the drug lords and extortion lords and smuggling lords will have the business "all to themselves". These people are uncompromising. It may very well be that this "terrorist" thing is just a big cover up for the real reason - mafia control of the whole region. I have been told schools are targeted because they see that the system by the buddhist state government as a form of brainwashing. That would be very easy to solve if the government was not so stubborn - just let the community run their own schools - or have Muslim schools. What would a Jew in Israel say if he had to be lectured on buddism every day. There would be an international outcry. Thailand should keep buddhism study out of the education if it has any respect for Christians, Muslims, Sikhs, Hindus and atheists. Of course the cure for stubbornness is not easy - and we can see that Yingluck is there for the show - again much about a do for nothing - and the slaughter continues because of this lack of will to make progress.

Edited by heiwa

Security Volunteer Killed in Insurgent Attack in Narathiwat

Insurgents riding on a pickup truck have opened fire at a road checkpoint, killing a security volunteer and injuring another in Narathiwat Province.

At around 7 PM last night, a group of insurgents opened fire at a checkpoint located in front of a local school in Chanae District of Narathiwat Province, killing a security volunteer and injuring another.

A joint force consisting of police, military and civilians has rushed to the scene to investigate. From the initial investigation, the attackers were riding on a pickup truck of unknown brand and color.

Once arrived at the scene, three insurgents at the back of the truck shot both security volunteers.

The insurgents also took the assault rifles and pistols belonging to the volunteers before fleeing the scene.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-05-02

footer_n.gif

• Like 1

I would imagine a big part of the problem is general lawlessness that affects Thailand everywhere. Perhaps they see the army as muscling in on/stopping their illegal mafia activities - drugs, smuggling, extortion. The Thais could learn from the Americans in Afghanistan or Iraq in respecting peoples faith - burning the Koran incident aside. There appears to be no-where the resentment with Muslim populations against the Western invasion. Obviously somebody has pissed these people off in Thailand. I would love to know what the Thai government has done and is doing to piss these people off. People do not bite back unless they are bitten. Secret extra-judicial killings still ongoing? - with the Western invasion atrocities become apparent. This is not the case in Thailand and I believe the root cause of insurgent causes. Personally I feel the soldiers get the rawest deal - pawns of the imbecile elite.

Edited by heiwa