Best Little Car That Qualifies For First-Time Buyers Scheme

brit1984

Now guys since I am not in Los at the moment I can not compare most

of the cars you listed but I bought myself a Hyundai Accent over here

in OZ 1.6 liters it got every thing you need just to list a few

6 airbags,bluetooth,usb port,5 year unlimited km warranty,5 years

road side assistant, and of course all the other things you get in

a modern car like reversing cam and so on. It soposed to be a medium

car but it has a lot of room on the inside and plenty of leg space.

My everage full consumption is 6.4 ltr per 100 km. This my not any help

to you but keep it in mind.

Ps. I had 2 Hyundais before (Elentras) and never ever hade any probs.

with them

Regards

If you want that many airbags, dare I say it, you will need the top spec fiesta (don't write it off, it's honestly the best in class here at the moment), or the imported jazz. The honda city is pretty good too, but just two airbags. Not sure if the japanese jazz is still available or even if the rebate will apply to it. Top spec eco cars have just twin airbags. Really you need to be here first to visit the dealers and see what's available.

Rebate only for Thai built cars.

@ the OP, how about a mini cooper?

He will squirm when he sees the price of a cooper here! Also, the previous post about the suv is goo; forgot to add that it will be better to have a high riding position as Bangkok often floods in the wet season - I had the floor of my honda civic flooded after 30-40 cm of rainwater on the road one year.

Exactly right about the Mini... I didn't realise they were so much more expensive here so I had suggested we get one to the wife... she told me they cost about 3mil then her sister mentioned the tax rebate scheme... that's why I made this thread...

I think the skodia fabia RS is about 1.8m million here. Not bad value compared to the mini, but not sure about parts costs and after sales service. Then there is the golf gti / sirroco which might be worth considering.

Why not ford fiesta? it looks good and women (farang ones) love it. New 1.5 lt engine and powershift (dsg) 6 gear automatic looks wonderful. However, driving near asoke would be suicidal. Traffic can drive you crazy.

I think the skodia fabia RS is about 1.8m million here. Not bad value compared to the mini, but not sure about parts costs and after sales service. Then there is the golf gti / sirroco which might be worth considering.

I think the Skoda Fabia RS is about 1.5 million which while still being ridiculous for a small car is good value compared to the Mini. The standard Skoda Fabia is I believe around 1.2 million.

Another interesting one if the OP wants to pay money just to be different could be the Kia Soul which is around 1.3 million.

The Fiat 500 I assume is the best part of 2 million as a grey import.

As most have said, the best little car with value for money if the Fiesta...

My experience is a little different when considering a small versus larger car when driving around Bangkok.

I drive both my wife's smaller car and my SUV. I find driving my wife's smaller car more dangerous as there appears to be a sub-concious almost primeval instinct which relies on 'size'. The 'I'm bigger than you so I'm going first' theory appears to apply on Bangkok's roads and having a larger car will make you a more visible entity on the roads, you'll be cut up less and see more due to the driving position.

Parking a small car or large car makes little difference, the spaces are all large enough unless you are driving a Hummer.

But to answer your question: I do like the new Fiesta but I'm not sure how that fits into the 'First buyers Scheme'

That is very interesting that you think a smaller car would be more difficult to drive... and contrary to what I would assume and to the view of our Thai friend who has been driving the SUV for us (for example he says it is difficult to see if motorcycle drivers are getting too close)... anyone else have thoughts on this?

I drive a fortuner in Bangkok. Been driving it here for two years or so. Knock on wood no accidents yet. Honestly, it's much more comfortable and useful than those small cars. All shopping centers have parking and street parking is practically impossible on small sois regardless of car size. I think visibility is fine if you put those small round close up rear view aftermarket add ons to your stock rear view. Also a wider main center console rear view. They come stock w a backing up distance alert but I know a lot of people that install the aftermarket double din dash w rear view video. I think thats overkill.

One thing is visibility when you are in shopping center parking lots doing the up and downs. But drive slow and it's fine. I've scratched my rims but nothing major.

In any case make sure you test a small car on a highway because I've driven a few like yaris and jazz and feel like they are quite shakey on the road at higher speeds. Plastic feeling.

Why not ford fiesta? it looks good and women (farang ones) love it. New 1.5 lt engine and powershift (dsg) 6 gear automatic looks wonderful. However, driving near asoke would be suicidal. Traffic can drive you crazy.

Fiesta is great looking but amen to traffic in asoke area. Between Pha ram 9 and asoke it once took me 2 hrs. Maybe accident but if you live that center you might use it less than you think. North west or south east is much easier because you can time traffic more or less start and end with office hours.

Fiesta is great looking but amen to traffic in asoke area. Between Pha ram 9 and asoke it once took me 2 hrs. Maybe accident but if you live that center you might use it less than you think. North west or south east is much easier because you can time traffic more or less start and end with office hours.

well to be perfectly honest if you live in or around Asoke and want transport primarily to move around in the city the OP may be better off just puting some money or an MRT or BTS ticket!!

well to be perfectly honest if you live in or around Asoke and want transport primarily to move around in the city the OP may be better off just puting some money or an MRT or BTS ticket!!

We have a little baby (and will have an even littler one soon) so BTS is not an option. At the moment we take taxis but it can be a bit of a pain finding one that wants our custom (especially on the return leg).

Based on the answers to this thread we will probably give the SUV a go initially (once we learn how to drive) and then decide if it makes sense to buy a smaller runabout as well.

My experience is a little different when considering a small versus larger car when driving around Bangkok.

I drive both my wife's smaller car and my SUV. I find driving my wife's smaller car more dangerous as there appears to be a sub-concious almost primeval instinct which relies on 'size'. The 'I'm bigger than you so I'm going first' theory appears to apply on Bangkok's roads and having a larger car will make you a more visible entity on the roads, you'll be cut up less and see more due to the driving position.

Parking a small car or large car makes little difference, the spaces are all large enough unless you are driving a Hummer.

But to answer your question: I do like the new Fiesta but I'm not sure how that fits into the 'First buyers Scheme'

That is very interesting that you think a smaller car would be more difficult to drive... and contrary to what I would assume and to the view of our Thai friend who has been driving the SUV for us (for example he says it is difficult to see if motorcycle drivers are getting too close)... anyone else have thoughts on this?

I drive a fortuner in Bangkok. Been driving it here for two years or so. Knock on wood no accidents yet. Honestly, it's much more comfortable and useful than those small cars. All shopping centers have parking and street parking is practically impossible on small sois regardless of car size. I think visibility is fine if you put those small round close up rear view aftermarket add ons to your stock rear view. Also a wider main center console rear view. They come stock w a backing up distance alert but I know a lot of people that install the aftermarket double din dash w rear view video. I think thats overkill.

One thing is visibility when you are in shopping center parking lots doing the up and downs. But drive slow and it's fine. I've scratched my rims but nothing major.

In any case make sure you test a small car on a highway because I've driven a few like yaris and jazz and feel like they are quite shakey on the road at higher speeds. Plastic feeling.

Being a new and inexperienced driver (like the OP) in Bangkok myself, I partially agree with the view that driving a bigger car might actually feel more comfortable than a small one. However, parking in shopping malls would be much easier with a small car than (in my case) with a Nissan Navara. I guess that will ease over time and with more practice, but for now navigating my pick-up into a parking spot in a shopping mall is not all that simple as a newbie driver (especially when the parking garage is almost full and I am not able to pick my own spot).

Sophon

We have a little baby (and will have an even littler one soon) so BTS is not an option. At the moment we take taxis but it can be a bit of a pain finding one that wants our custom (especially on the return leg).

Based on the answers to this thread we will probably give the SUV a go initially (once we learn how to drive) and then decide if it makes sense to buy a smaller runabout as well.

Apologies, I was really just joking about the BTS given your location. We also have 3 young kids and I certainly also don't like to leave their safety in the hands of dodgy taxis and their drivers.

I live not too far from you and my office is in Asoke. In the end we have 2 cars, an SUV for family outings and weekends away, and the wife has a smaller car (Focus) which she finds easier to do the shopping and running around town. She likes it as it is easier to park, yet big enough to feel safe and get plenty of shopping into (I think mostly shoes and handbags). From my experience your kids will grow quickly and so will all the things they want to put in the car so don't get a car that is too small. With two kids in baby seats you may soon find a Fiesta sized car a bit tight.

Due to the traffic in the area I actually do take the MRT/BTS when on my own so the SUV stays at home all week but does get alot of use running the family around on weekends.

I was really looking hard and nearly bought the Skoda Fabia RS (power for money sure the Best here in Thailand now), I could get it for about 1.5m new with 5 years warranty and free service (if i remember correct)...so not a bad deal at all. Skoda dealer staff were the Best i have ever dealt with and i really felt sad for them that I did not go for it. I finally bought a grey market Golf GTI for 1.95m. The RS has good size interior, should be a blast to drive...BUT (quite a big but) it isn't exactly the most stylish car there, specially the interior....

I sold my Ford Focus TDCI for the GTI....and still can tell you that the TDCI was a super car for handling and usable power! Yes, the GTI beats it...but not by far as the TDCI was a manual and you can always be in the right power band....

my 2 cents worth...

I was really looking hard and nearly bought the Skoda Fabia RS (power for money sure the Best here in Thailand now), I could get it for about 1.5m new with 5 years warranty and free service (if i remember correct)...so not a bad deal at all. Skoda dealer staff were the Best i have ever dealt with and i really felt sad for them that I did not go for it. I finally bought a grey market Golf GTI for 1.95m. The RS has good size interior, should be a blast to drive...BUT (quite a big but) it isn't exactly the most stylish car there, specially the interior....

I sold my Ford Focus TDCI for the GTI....and still can tell you that the TDCI was a super car for handling and usable power! Yes, the GTI beats it...but not by far as the TDCI was a manual and you can always be in the right power band....

my 2 cents worth...

I think the best power for money is the new focus 2.0 with 170 bhp at 969,000 new with 3 year warranty and a cracking interior. But the OP doesn't want a Ford.

Being a new and inexperienced driver (like the OP) in Bangkok myself, I partially agree with the view that driving a bigger car might actually feel more comfortable than a small one. However, parking in shopping malls would be much easier with a small car than (in my case) with a Nissan Navara. I guess that will ease over time and with more practice, but for now navigating my pick-up into a parking spot in a shopping mall is not all that simple as a newbie driver (especially when the parking garage is almost full and I am not able to pick my own spot).

Sophon

That's true. As the op decided to try the suv to begin with remember to drive slowly, be patient, invest in some aftermarket mirrors to have better visibility.

If you want cool there is the Fiat 500 Abarth.

..I've seen a couple for sale but did not see the price. Anyone know how much?

Another little car that looks cool is the Citroen DS2. Never seen one in LOS but might be available. Again no idea how much?

If you want cool there is the Fiat 500 Abarth.

..I've seen a couple for sale but did not see the price. Anyone know how much?

Another little car that looks cool is the Citroen DS2. Never seen one in LOS but might be available. Again no idea how much?

Yes Fiat 500 is cool; if they are available under 2 million ish that would be ideal (but as mentioned above we will give the MU7 a run initially)