Thai Air Force Plane Skids Off Bangladesh Runway

The photo looks as if they landed with the undercarriage up. I would expect to see some evidence of wheels or wheel struts i te photo if it was down.

Officials said an embankment was built around Shahjalal International Airport to save its runway from flooding after it was submerged during floods. It is a flood-proof airport now, they said.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=202926

As there is a minimum obstacle free zone of 150 m om both sides of an instrument runway required (not considering additional protection areas for ILS etc.) this embankment has to be at least 150 m from the runway. When the aircraft skidded over it its undercarriage was most likely destroyed or forced back into the wheel well. And when you look at the left picture there is some dent in the embankment (in front of the tail section) that looks exactly like the track from the left main gear tire.

A gear-up landing would have made the news.

Cross winds or wind shears are terrifying to most pilots....They can easily get out of control when either are present...

Another quote from the peanut gallery. A seasoned pilot, such as those that fly commercial routes are, not terrified of wind shear or cross winds. Thousands of hours of training provides pilots with the skills to handle such events without emotion or fear, if possible. If not possible, the pilot attempts to minimize the damage to the aircraft, crew and passengers. This was a flight of relative new pilots if they were practicing cross-country navigation.

It's clearly the Bangladeshis' fault. As always Thais never need to take responsibility and be accountable for their actions. They are never at fault. No need to apologize to the Bangladesh airport management for any disruption caused and for their assistance to tow the plane in and assist the 15 bewildered, unapologetic, and innocent Thais. In the immortal words of George "Kingfish" Stevens - "I denies the allegations and resents the allegator."

15 pilots and engineers can't land a plane. Typical Thailand.

I doubt they are15 pilots and engineers. More like 15 Isreal trained SAS Marines SEAL or what every they call them on their way to a mission in Manchaster City to capture a Montenegro man.

Some "water melon" air force mechanics must have got news of the highly classify mission, and sabotage by cutting the brake fluid line just before take off. I believe they landed there for refuse, as the plane cannot do Thai-UK non-stop.

Wonder if the plane was out of fuel ??  the 15 pilots/engineers did they all pay for their flying diplomas/wings, presume they went on the pilots course at air training school.

The cross winds were Bengal cross winds so Thai were not responsible for them, suppose it's a good idea if you land with your undercarriage lowered, having said all that it can happen to all air forces, They tend to overate themselves in general, and are past learning in many cases. Try teaching the average Thai after school most switch off and get bored.  A few nuts and bolts-a bit of panel beating, and paint job, and she will be up and away in no time.

100% the fault of the instructor pilot in command.

Without any evidence, just how did you come to this conclusion? Crystal ball, prescient vision, second sight?

With a strong enough cross wind these planes can go pear shaped with an experienced pilot.

"Two pilots on a flight training mission were slightly injured, he said, adding that there were 15 pilots and engineers on the plane."

'oh my goodness gracious me'

It takes that many pilots to fly a Thai plane ??

Any landing you walk away from is a good one.

Things happen. The email I received this morning indicated the co-pilot lost his marbles in a cross wind landing and it was a failed hand over to the Cpt.

Only takes 2-3 seconds of confusion. Essentially for a moment in this case you have two people fighting each other for control.

A little bit off subject, how cool is this though.

http://www.flightglo...-for-tv-371267/

The handover to the captain is never difficult unless the captain is down the back having a coffee or not in one of the pilots seats.

Things happen. The email I received this morning indicated the co-pilot lost his marbles in a cross wind landing and it was a failed hand over to the Cpt.

Only takes 2-3 seconds of confusion. Essentially for a moment in this case you have two people fighting each other for control.

A little bit off subject, how cool is this though.

http://www.flightglo...-for-tv-371267/

The handover to the captain is never difficult unless the captain is down the back having a coffee or not in one of the pilots seats.

unless he just takes his hands off the controls and says...'fok this'......and its a helicopter.

'Thai Air Vice Marshal Monthon Satchukorn told Thai News Agency in an telephone interview from Dhaka that the RTAF ART72-500 was commissioned at Wing 6 at Don Mueang Air Force Base and was on a regular drill mission aboard.

He said the aircraft skidded off the runway while landing in Dhaka. It slipped to hit the concrete wall and the right wing was damaged.'

I have a sneaking suspicion that more than just the right wing was damaged.

It's clearly the Bangladeshis' fault. As always Thais never need to take responsibility and be accountable for their actions. They are never at fault. No need to apologize to the Bangladesh airport management for any disruption caused and for their assistance to tow the plane in and assist the 15 bewildered, unapologetic, and innocent Thais. In the immortal words of George "Kingfish" Stevens - "I denies the allegations and resents the allegator."

Trust the Bangladeshis to lay out a runway in the wrong place. Will RTAF now sue?

100% the fault of the instructor pilot in command.

Without any evidence, just how did you come to this conclusion? Crystal ball, prescient vision, second sight?

With a strong enough cross wind these planes can go pear shaped with an experienced pilot.

Yes of course every aircraft has a limit to the crosswind component it can handle, not using advanced technics like assymetric power etc. It is the responsibility of the PIC to recognize what that limit is and abort the approach as soon as that limit seems anywhere close and go around for another try. Certainly no situation for a student to be at the controls. A runway capable of handling big airliners should be childs play for a small turboprop. 100% the fault of the PIC; end of story.

Just to clarify this ....which airport. The international one or the Military one. If it is the military one the approach from the south is a horrible one with several tall buildings near the flight path.

Here is an idea: Let's stick to facts, as some posters do. Those who try to make fun of Thai people should think whether such an accident would not be possible in their countries.

I'm too tired to delete several posts now. The next one who's post is primarily Thai-bashing will not be so lucky.

Just to clarify this ....which airport. The international one or the Military one. If it is the military one the approach from the south is a horrible one with several tall buildings near the flight path.

It was the Shahjalal International Airport.

Tejgaon airfield was abandoned in 1981 after Shahjalal International Airport, formerly Zia International Airport, was built in Kurmitola. It was then taken over by BAF, which operates mainly helicopters and training planes from here,

Source again: http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=202926

Normally you don't let "guests" fly into a military airport where the safeguarding areas have been "encroached on" without a proper advance briefing.

Feathering aligns the blades with the airflow to reduce drag and is used in the event of an engine failure on one wing. Fine (flat) pitch would aid braking if reverse pitch was not available.

Just to clarify, this is true. While the aircraft has decent forward speed as the blades disking produce a lot of drag. Just to avoid confusion, a small amount of froward thrust is also produced. So if it was stationary, it would actually be producing more thrust in fine than feathered. It just come down to vectors.