Buying A Bicycle In Chiang Mai

BeeM

I would highly recommend your steering clear of a cheap, new bicycle. They're all guaranteed junk, and you will be sorry that you wasted your money. Brakes, cables, frame welding, seat, just about anything possible will wear out or break in your first couple of months.

I don't know about prices or condition of second hand bikes, but there are 2 or 3 shops in this area: http://g.co/maps/fcja8

New bicycles in Big C and Carrfour...from 1000 to couple of thousands baht..

Most value for your money you'll probably get at LA Bicycles and Chaitawat Bike Shop (Google is your friend ...) but don't expect any reasonably reliable bike for less than a minimum of 15'000 THB.

Of course, if you plan to drive only 200 kms per year you'll find "something" for about 4'000 THB incl. pink handlebar basket ...

These secondhand places seem to be a rip-off - much like secondhand vehicles here - and the cheap tat from Tesco's, et al, is C.R.A.P! Bought the nipper an LA (local brand) and still going well.

New bicycles in Big C and Carrfour...from 1000 to couple of thousands baht..

Most value for your money you'll probably get at LA Bicycles and Chaitawat Bike Shop (Google is your friend ...) but don't expect any reasonably reliable bike for less than a minimum of 15'000 THB.

Of course, if you plan to drive only 200 kms per year you'll find "something" for about 4'000 THB incl. pink handlebar basket ...

The bikes at Big C and Tesco are junk. Don't bother with those. I've bought 2 bikes here; one at Song and the other at Cherry. They are both L.A. Bicycle brand. Both places are good, they give you free service for the life of the bike that you buy there. (Adjustments, oil and lube, etc.) L.A. Bicycle is a brand, not a shop.

That's not true about spending 15K. One bike I bought I got at Song on promotion for 5500 or thereabouts and it has all the name brand components and rides great going on 4 years now.

L.A. Bicycle is a brand, not a shop.

Don't feel confused, BeeM: LA is indeed a Thai bicycle producer and brand as well as they have shops all over Thailand. The one I meant you find here: 18° 47’ 42.34” N, 98° 59’ 33.83” E (Paste and copy in Google Earth).

Google Street View will show you the front of the shop naming it clearly "LA Sale & Service Shop". You will find a great variety of imported (mostly from Taiwan) bikes, too, which I personally would prefer.