Major New Indian/Chinese (Vegetarian) Restaurant Find!

Jingthing

Update on Saras.

I like the idea of people posting with what they ate there, as a lot of their food is new to a lot of people, so in that spirit, here's my latest experience.

South Indian Meal (thali) 160 baht

2 veg (potatoes and one onion/cabbage) and 2 soup like things

excellent basmati rice

pickle

fried "puffy" breads (2)

plain yogurt

popadam (good one)

white ball sweet with syrup

Asked for "very spicy"

Got barely spicy but they brought some fresh chilies.

I suspect f-rangatized spicing.

It wasn't so bland that it ruined the meal for me.

Overall the food was clean, light, and elegant.

I am not a big fan of the puffy fried bread concept though it is very South Indian.

This was not the best South Indian thali I've ever had, BUT it was indeed very good.

I would order it again often except I don't like the puffy breads, so probably not.

I arrived hungry. I think the portion was enough for an average western adult with moderate hunger.

As I felt it might not be enough, I also ordered a Pyaaz Ki Kachori. This is a large sized stuffed pastry thing. My first kachori anywhere. I am guessing it was authentic. They have three choices of them at 20 to 25 baht. They took a premade made from the front case and prepared it in the kitchen, presenting it with mint and tamarind dipping sauces. The crust was to me like a mixture of an Eastern European knish and a buttery, flaky croissant. The filling was perhaps an acquired taste. I found the item pleasant but a little too heavy, so I probably won't order again. I think many of you may like the kachoris. Also available in dal and pea stuffings. The crust was indeed different than samosa. Also note if you eat a kachori with your meal, it's doubtful you'll leave hungry ...

So with the lower priced thali, a large stuffed bun thingie, small water and tax, got out for 214 baht.

I think this meal at least was a VERY GOOD VALUE compared to the local competition at that price point (a mass market buffet).

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So with the lower priced thali, a large stuffed bun thingie, small water and tax, got out for 214 baht.

I'm game at that price, though I might have to push the boat out and have a second bun thingy. Why cant they just give you a few more chapatis with the thali?

As you say, more or less the price of an Indian buffet.

The bun thingies are quite substantial and rich. I think some meat eaters feel they can't fill up without meat. That's a head issue, not a stomach issue.

Another thing, their drinks are rather expensive. 90 baht plus tax for a standard lassi? Small water though, 15 baht.

BTW, there were about 10 people eating there while I was there, including some Russians!

Edited by Jingthing

do you agree that indian food is heavy to digest? I am not sure why, I am vegan too, sometime vegetarian, but this food just stays in my stomach for hours. I think it is because they cook it for hours and use ghee for cooking, not sure

but i like roti and dips of course, but prefer thai food, it is much much lighter than indian for hours boiling curries

do you agree that indian food is heavy to digest? I am not sure why, I am vegan too, sometime vegetarian, but this food just stays in my stomach for hours. I think it is because they cook it for hours and use ghee for cooking, not sure

but i like roti and dips of course, but prefer thai food, it is much much lighter than indian for hours boiling curries

It depends on the Indian food you are talking about. Ghee is not used in all dishes and many modern Indian cooks use no ghee at all. I am also not a fan of ghee.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this new Indian place is really terrific! We're really lucky this place from Bangkok opened here.

Anyway, recently had --

Vada rasam

Deep fried idly donut served with spicy red soup

฿75.00

Idly Sambar

Idly and a vegetable stew made with tamarind and split pigeon pea

฿75.00

Papdi Chaat

฿80.00

Crispy fried dough wafers served with boiled potatoes, boiled chick peas, chillis, yoghurt, tamarind sauce and spices.

The idly and vada were both served with two chutneys, coconut, and red/tomato chili. Delicious. The fried donut vadas were better, and wonderfully free of grease.

First time I have had that chaat, famous in Mumbai. It was excellent and would definitely order again.

Edited by Jingthing

OK, a fresh report.

Tried the vegetable balls Manchurian. Chose gravy rather than dry.

Manchurian style is a very popular Indian Chinese fusion style. It was a mistake to order with gravy as it was more like a soup. Perhaps five smallish balls, tasty, not greasy. The gravy was spicy as requested, and definitely in the Manchurian style. But I've had better at places specializing in Indian Chinese fusion and in my view there was a key flavor missing making it kind of flat. The trouble is I can't figure out what that ingredient was. Anyway, at 135 baht, not a great value, but not bad. They have some other Manchurian dishes and I may try a dry one sometime, but no rush.

Needed a starch for the "Chinese" food so instead of ordering one of their fried rice dishes at 115 to 135 baht (no regular rice listed on the menu, perhaps I should have asked) I ordered a plain nan at 45 baht.

This nan wasn't really special. It was OK. Not sure, but it could have been reheated. Portion not generous either. Poor value at 45 baht I think. Anyway, I did need some kind of starch for the Manchurian ball soup.

Tried for the first time their 15 baht veggie samosa. Generously stuffed. Reheated from the case window as expected. Great value, but overall bland and boring, no rush to order again.

I was glad to have tried one of their Manchurian dishes, but as you can see, with such a big menu, not all meals are going to be so wonderful there, but there are good Indian meals to be had there.

Edited by Jingthing

So none of you are eating at Saras? Your loss.

Anyway, this time back to a more positive report.

Arrived and the place was quite CROWDED. Surprise! You skeptics who thought this place had no audience here, time to eat your hats. Perhaps 70 plus diners, South Asian people, yet there were still plenty of open tables.

I feared some service issues seeing them so crowded and I was somewhat right. But I waited only about 15 minutes for the first order, not bad considering they were crowded.

Had the Capsicum Uttapam (google it). It was excellent if you want a Uttapam. and the green peppers added a really nice crunch. Served with two chutneys and sambar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uttapam

Also had the Singapore Cauliflower. I knew about this dish from looking a picture on their website and also a review on a blog saying it was a MUST ORDER.

OK, there was a glitch. A big glitch.

Some kind of boring saucy stir fry arrived and because I knew what the dish was SUPPOSED to look like from the website and also I could detect NO CAULIFLOWER in the dish, I knew it was wrong. Their first response to the question, is this the Singapore Cauliflower was a predictable YES. But when I pointed out there wasn't any cauliflower at all in the dish some other waiter was called and took it away. If you had ordered it and didn't know what to expect you might have accepted the dish and it did look BORING.

Anyway, eventually the correct order arrived, a completely different dish, and it was worth the wait!

I totally agree it is a MUST TRY dish. It is an Indian-Chinese fusion dish but I think more like 80 percent Indian. The cauliflower was in some wonderful light pakora like fritters with an absolutely delicious kind of dry spice sauce. Even though I didn't mention spice level and I kind of expected it to be a SWEET dish (which I don't like) it wasn't too sweet at all and actually had a decent spice kick! Lovely. I am sure many of you if you try this dish will like it too and may need to order it every time. It was the best Indian Chinese fusion dish I ever had.

Only issue is that it was garnished with lots of sliced green and red peppers. It worked well for the dish but the Uttapam dish was also with lots of green pepper so the combo wasn't ideal.

Bill with water about 300 B.

Anyway, I'm still a fan of this place for sure!

If you do eat there and try different things on the menu, please post here and tell us about it. That way we can get some ideas on what to order and what NOT to order (like the veg. balls in Manchurian GRAVY).

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Arrived and the place was quite CROWDED. Surprise! You skeptics who thought this place had no audience here, time to eat your hats. Perhaps 70 plus diners, South Asian people, yet there were still plenty of open tables.

I feared some service issues seeing them so crowded and I was somewhat right. But I waited only about 15 minutes for the first order, not bad considering they were crowded.

Had the Capsicum Uttapam (google it). It was excellent if you want a Uttapam. and the green peppers added a really nice crunch. Served with two chutneys and sambar.

Also had the Singapore Cauliflower. I knew about this dish from looking a picture on their website and also a review on a blog saying it was a MUST ORDER.

Some kind of boring saucy stir fry arrived and because I knew what the dish was SUPPOSED to look like from the website and also I could detect NO CAULIFLOWER in the dish, I knew it was wrong. Their first response to the question, is this the Singapore Cauliflower was a predictable YES. But when I pointed out there wasn't any cauliflower at all in the dish some other waiter was called and took it away. If you had ordered it and didn't know what to expect you might have accepted the dish and it did look BORING.

Anyway, eventually the correct order arrived, a completely different dish, and it was worth the wait!

I totally agree it is a MUST TRY dish. It is an Indian-Chinese fusion dish but I think more like 80 percent Indian. The cauliflower was in some wonderful light pakora like fritters with an absolutely delicious kind of dry spice sauce. Even though I didn't mention spice level and I kind of expected it to be a SWEET dish (which I don't like) it wasn't too sweet at all and actually had a decent spice kick! Lovely. I am sure many of you if you try this dish will like it too and may need to order it every time. It was the best Indian Chinese fusion dish I ever had.

Only issue is that it was garnished with lots of sliced green and red peppers. It worked well for the dish but the Uttapam dish was also with lots of green pepper so the combo wasn't ideal.

If you do eat there and try different things on the menu, please post here and tell us about it. That way we can get some ideas on what to order and what NOT to order (like the veg. balls in Manchurian GRAVY).

I don't eat anything I have to google first :)

In SFO this week so getting plenty of good eats...maybe an el pastor pork burrito for lunch!

Edited by FarangBuddha

I don't eat anything I have to google first smile.png

In SFO this week so getting plenty of good eats...maybe an el pastor pork burrito for lunch!

OK, I'm jealous!

If you like Chinese, check out this place:

http://sanfrancisco....t-carousel/menu

No, it's not the best Chinese food in SF, but the place has soul and I used to eat there 3 times a week for years! Best options: all the clay pot dishes, Chinese vegetables, seafood like geoduck clam, dungeness crab, clams black bean sauce, crispy fried chicken, salt and pepper shrimp, even the Gourmet Chow Mein is good.

Edited by Jingthing

I don't eat anything I have to google first smile.png

OK, I'm jealous!

If you like Chinese, check out this place:

http://sanfrancisco....t-carousel/menu

No, it's not the best Chinese food in SF, but the place has soul and I used to eat there 3 times a week for years! Best options: all the clay pot dishes, Chinese vegetables, seafood like geoduck clam, dungeness crab, clams black bean sauce, crispy fried chicken, salt and pepper shrimp, even the Gourmet Chow Mein is good.

I like House of Nanking...have a reservation at House of Prime Rib for Monday... haven't had prime rib in over a decade in Thailand!

My lunch today...big fat 1/2 lb bacon-cheese burger...just check-out that toppings bar!!!

Also note the proper and necessary roll of paper towels on the table...what's with the Thais treating napkins like gold leaf and handing individual tissue squares only when asked?

post-94156-0-57408100-1338672804_thumb.j

post-94156-0-44275300-1338672894_thumb.j

post-94156-0-25732000-1338672949_thumb.j

post-94156-0-22903300-1338673150_thumb.j

Eat your heart out Jing :)

Edited by FarangBuddha

I wonder if they have started doing tour bus groups? Seems to be the road most Pattaya Indian restaurants end up going down as they dont want to charge reasonable prices on their menus.

But when I pointed out there wasn't any cauliflower at all in the dish some other waiter was called and took it away.

smile.png

Last night I might have gone to Saras but instead I went to a very good pub BBQ buffet where I had a wide selection of very good quality BBQued meats and fish (beef, pork, spare ribs, chicken skewers, large prawns, squid, decent sausages et al), an assortment of good salads (tomato, Thai squid/shrimp, rice, cucumber + sour cream et al), good German bread, proper gherkins and spicy dips, fruit, and a beer for 320B.

I rarely eat meat at all and last night probably took about a year off my life but it was good value and good quality. My excuse is that I was with a confirmed meat-eater.

Indian places really have to start practising sensible pricing if they want to attract me inside.

Edited by Darrel

The crowd did not appear to be a TOUR GROUP to me.

Yes, it's vegetarian food. If you want meat, you don't go there.

The pricing for the most part is very reasonable. For some items, not so much.

Saras isn't all Indian restaurants. It is a very specific one, with an existing well regarded branding and reputation from Bangkok going back many years. They are indeed advertising in the tourist press and why wouldn't they?

The crowd did not appear to be a TOUR GROUP to me.

Yes, it's vegetarian food. If you want meat, you don't go there.

Vegetarian suits me fine (I used to live on veg thalis in Malaysia). I just happened to be with a serious meat-eater yesterday.

Will give the cheaper items on Saras' menu a try soon when I'm eating alone.

I'm so NOT a vegetarian but I've always loved INDIAN vegetarian food. They do it the best. I also love Ethiopian vegetarian food, but don't get me started. That's a craving that won't be satisfied anywhere in S.E. Asia.

Edited by Jingthing

My lunch today...big fat 1/2 lb bacon-cheese burger...just check-out that toppings bar!!!

Also note the proper and necessary roll of paper towels on the table...what's with the Thais treating napkins like gold leaf and handing individual tissue squares only when asked?

post-94156-0-57408100-1338672804_thumb.j

post-94156-0-44275300-1338672894_thumb.j

post-94156-0-25732000-1338672949_thumb.j

post-94156-0-22903300-1338673150_thumb.j

Eat your heart out Jing smile.png

I for one am green with envy... what's the name of that spot as I have family in the bay area and will make a stop there if I ever return to California for a visit.

Last night I might have gone to Saras but instead I went to a very good pub BBQ buffet where I had a wide selection of very good quality BBQued meats and fish (beef, pork, spare ribs, chicken skewers, large prawns, squid, decent sausages et al), an assortment of good salads (tomato, Thai squid/shrimp, rice, cucumber + sour cream et al), good German bread, proper gherkins and spicy dips, fruit, and a beer for 320B.

I rarely eat meat at all and last night probably took about a year off my life but it was good value and good quality. My excuse is that I was with a confirmed meat-eater.

Indian places really have to start practising sensible pricing if they want to attract me inside.

Please share the name of the BBQ buffet spot...

It's called the King's Head or something similar, just opposite the Sportsman in Soi whatever, just up from the Lek. Run by a couple of German guys, I think. It's connected to a fairly smart boutique hotel.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Food still as good as ever but sad to report the prices on everything on the menu have been raised 10 to 15 percent.

Is that the Thai "if sales are bad you raise the prices" syndrome at work?

I've still never noticed more than a small handful of people in there when I go past.

Food still as good as ever but sad to report the prices on everything on the menu have been raised 10 to 15 percent.

Is that the Thai "if sales are bad you raise the prices" syndrome at work?

I've still never noticed more than a small handful of people in there when I go past.

Well, they also have the original Bangkok location so it would be interesting to know if that place raised prices as well. The Pattaya location is mostly targeted at Indian tourists which is a market which does have high and low seasons.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to do an update about the food at Saras.

I suggest that people AVOID ordering their Chinese fusion dishes. There appears to be an issue with the flavor profile/knowledge transfer from the Bangkok restaurant to Pattaya on that part of their menu. I previously VERY highly recommended the Singapore Cauliflower. That was under a different chef based on my information. NOW, I strongly suggest you AVOID that dish as it's nothing like the dish when it was great. I have also noticed a noticeable flatness and lack of balance in other Chinese fusion dishes there such as Manchurian style items. I will say no more.

As far as their INDIAN menu, pretty much everything on it, it all still comes HIGHLY recommended.

I can't speak to their Thai veg menu as I wouldn't ever bother ordering Thai food there.

Another point, reports of them being empty are simply not true. It's a big place and it won't be full but there are usually a number of tables happening when I visit.

Edited by Jingthing

.... reports of them being empty are simply not true.

My reports of it being empty on the two occasions when I passed by and could be bothered to look were 100% true on the day. I have no reason to make such things up. Obviously I have no idea what the occupancy has been like at all other times.