Advice From Phuket Residents Please

BattyBatty

Hi there

I lived on Samui for two years and Bangkok for the last couple months (which i dont like!). I have decided to move to Phuket next month, and would appreciate a little feedback from the board in which are to check out.

I dont want to live in patong, but i will probably have the odd night out there. What im looking for is a cool little area close to a beach that has a few nice bars, resteraunts, shops and ex-pat fellangs. Basically a quiet area....but not boring!

For anyone that has been to Samui, i used to live in Bang Rak/Ban Plae laem which i liked very much as it was quiet but had stuff to do, (if you know what i mean) yet was only 10 minutes from Chaweng, the equivalent of Patong.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Is there a general area where mainly ex-pats live that is quiet but has bars etc?

Im looking at paying around 15,000B per month rent, but a little more if the place is worth it (have paid 22 before), i need a phone line (most houses in Samui dont have phone lines and its a pain in the arse to get one...is Phuket the same?) and like a little privacy (no estates!). An area that is ADSL freindly would be a plus, but not imperative as i get along ok with dial up over here.

If you guys could point out an area that fits this, then i'll deal with finding a house when i get there.... just by riding about hunting '4rent' signs.

Also, and this is a long shot.... but i suppose its out of the question finding a house surrounding a golf course for just 15-20k a month? Again, not imperative.... a nice area with a community feel is more important.

Thanks very much

Batty

anywhere by a golf course will cost more, I used to live in chalong, two floors, two bathrooms detached house, 12k a month, chalong is good cos its quiet, quite a few ex-pats, 15 mins to Phuket town (central, tesco etc) but is about 40 min to Patong, you can get adsl there, if you like Moo Baan's, Land and house have a nice one near Chalong, but expect to pay 15K up for a bungalow, more for a house, but you get to use the sports center.

Dear Batty Batty,

Patong is only 15 mins drive from the most beautiful secluded and quiet beaches in the south (around Rawai) .... if you can't stand that, there are some very beautiful and secluded beaches north of Patong- within a 15 min drive.

Choose a smaller island if you can't deal with it !!!!!

:o

Hi there

I lived on Samui for two years and Bangkok for the last couple months (which i dont like!).  I have decided to move to Phuket next month, and would appreciate a little feedback from the board in which are to check out.

I dont want to live in patong, but i will probably have the odd night out there.  What im looking for is a cool little area close to a beach that has a few nice bars, resteraunts, shops and ex-pat fellangs.  Basically a quiet area....but not boring!

For anyone that has been to Samui, i used to live in Bang Rak/Ban Plae laem which i liked very much as it was quiet but had stuff to do, (if you know what i mean) yet was only 10 minutes from Chaweng, the equivalent of Patong.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Is there a general area where mainly ex-pats live that is quiet but has bars etc?

Im looking at paying around 15,000B per month rent, but a little more if the place is worth it (have paid 22 before), i need a phone line (most houses in Samui dont have phone lines and its a pain in the arse to get one...is Phuket the same?) and like a little privacy (no estates!).  An area that is ADSL freindly would be a plus, but not imperative as i get along ok with dial up over here.

If you guys could point out an area that fits this, then i'll deal with finding a house when i get there.... just by riding about hunting '4rent' signs.

Also, and this is a long shot.... but i suppose its out of the question finding a house surrounding a golf course for just 15-20k a month?  Again, not imperative.... a nice area with a community feel is more important.

Thanks very much

Batty

I live near Nai Harn beach, which is in the extreme south of the island near Rawai. The beach is one of the best on the island and the area has a good selection of bars and restaurants without being overpowering. There is a friendly local Thai community with many permanent expats also. We have a shorter high season because the swimming in the sea is not really safe between May and November, I see this as a plus point because it makes those months quiet and more relaxing.

There is plenty of property within your price range, although more difficult to find in the high season.

All the golf courses tend to be in the middle or north of the island so living near one is not really an option because there is very little else near them. Besides there are plenty of golf players around here who play regularily so getting there would not be a problem. The nearest (traffic permitting) is about a 20-30min drive.

ADSL is a available as long the house is near the main roads and not too far from the exchange, telephones can be difficult to get so definitely look for a house with one. Other options for internet access are IPstar or GPRS.

Patong is not a real problem although the drive from here is 40min there is a coast road that is very quiet, I make regular nights out trips to Patong without any problem.

The best way to do it is to go early and check in to a cheap guesthouse (500baht) park the car up and have bloody good night out without worrying about driving.

Having been here now for 3 years I wouldn't consider any other part of the island. If you need any more help please PM me.

Phuket Mike

I've been living in Chalong for over a year now and like it. It's quiet. 5-10 min to Phuket town and golf, 25 min to patong and lovely ladies.(though I've made it in 15 on a motorbike with little or no traffic.)

Great restaurants 5 min. away and 15 min from Nai harn beach.

I know of a couple brand new houses available for rent on a yearly lease. pm me if you like more info.

Edited by kasi

Given your requirements, I would strongly recommend Kamala Beach. I will list the pros and cons as I personally view them:

It’s just a 10-15 min. drive from Patong. Although the road is a bit curvy, it is usually in good shape. (At least compared to Samui). Sometimes they turn the road lights off at night, though, which I think is a pain. About 200 BHT with a Tuk-Tuk.

Rentals:

There were A LOT of houses for rent just a few months ago. Many brand new, most in the 10-15.000 BHT range. (I live in a brand new two bedroom for 12.000 with a 6 months minimum.) Now, they seem to be a bit trickier to come by, but there should be plenty still. They are less expensive than Patong, even Karon. Also, most of them are private, no estates.

Bars:

By my estimate, we have about 20 bars here, many frequented by ex-pats.

Beach:

The beach is very nice, at least the middle and northern parts of it. And certainly not as crowded as Patong. If you live in the village, you can reach it within minutes on a bike, or 10-20 minutes by foot, depending how “deep” inside the village you stay. It is also 5 minutes away from Laem Sing, arguably the most picturesque beach on the island, although sometimes crowded.

Broadband:

Broadband is available in most parts of the village, although you should try to find places not too far from the main road. By personal experience, try find a house with TT&T and not TOT. Virtually all houses come with a phone line.

Golf:

The Laguna is just 10-15 minutes north of Kamala. I haven’t tried it, but the courses look great. Probably somewhat expensive though.

Other comments:

One word of caution: In the first few months of the year, we had a surge in break-ins and thefts. I’ve been robbed three times. This seems to have diminished somewhat as of late. Try to get a house with bars on the windows and not too remote. A well lit area is also recommended. As always, common sense is usually not a disadvantage.

I mean no disrespect when I say this, but Kamala is a mostly Muslim village. I, personally, see absolutely NO disadvantage with this. In fact, most of the people I know here are Muslims and I’ve had no problems whatsoever (apart from the robberies, of course..). But some might view this unfavorably. (Come to think of it, if you do have problems with this, don’t bother moving here). Just one thing: Try to look around for the loud-speakers, as they tend to be quite, well, loud at times when you would want to sleep. Checking it out at night, might be a good idea. Other than that, the village is usually quite peaceful.

As you may know, Kamala was badly hit by the Tsunami. And the centre lay almost waste for a few months. Now, however, the place is almost completely rebuilt, and is, in fact, looking better than ever.

Also, we’ve had quite a few breaks in the electrical supply, especially when it rains. But usually no more than a few minutes. With a UPS and some patience, you’ll be fine.

PM me, and I could look around for a house…

Hi, my 2 cents worth.

You want to live close to Patong, but, don't want to pay the extortionate rates for rent there. Besides, not a place I'd want to live in anymore, but, must be accessible due to the night life.

What most people realise after living here awhile, is that Phuket Town must also be easily got to. It's surprising how often you have to go there.

That's why I wouldn't recommend Kamala. It's a lovely place, but, it really is a hastle to get anywhere else; some people live there for that very reason.

I'm sure you could get a nice house at Karon, or, Kata for your price range. They are the beaches just south of Patong. I lived there for nine years, but. am based in Chalong now.

There are three beaches; Karon, Kata and Kata Noi, you are five to ten minutes away from Patong, the night-life is good and the place still has a village atmosphere. Phuket Town is about twenty to thirty minutes away, depending on traffic.