Does Any One Actually Use A Non Android / Apple Mobile Phone

I have had Blackberries for 4 years now and presently using a 9900 series. I love it and now have the Blackberry Playbook that connects via bluetooth to my 9900 so I have access to all my files, contacts, mail etc....

Great thing about it is, after I stop the connection between my phone and the playbook, nothing is saved on the playbook, meaning all my contacts, bbm and email contact and correspondence remain secure in my phone and not in the playbook.

Blackberry does not have all the thousands of apps as does Apple and the Android systems, but I have no need for all that crap personally and like the smaller screen on my tablet as it's much easier to keep with me when I am out and about.

Thanks guy's , I have a funny feeling that there are more non Android / Apple mobile phone users about than people think , I would love to have a tinker with a Windows mobile phone, but they still seem a bit to expensive to justify tinkering .

I used to use a Samsung Omnia with Windows Mobile 6 on it. It was so bad that I swore off Samsung and Windows phones forever.. I did give in and bought a Samsung Galaxy SII and am glad I did. The new Windows mobile seems to be a completely different kettle of fish.

I do have and use an Android phone. I do like Android but many or even most of the applications are either junk or just toys. I use maybe a half dozen apps and they are useful but it took a lot of trial and error to find the good ones. I have downloaded and tried at least 50 different applications, only one paid application. That one application is the English/Thai translator.

I wouldn't buy any phone because of a specific operating system nor would I pay a premium for anything that has an apple on it. I was a Nokia user for years but the quality of their phones is now suspect. At one time the Nokia phones were bullet proof but it appears that times have changed much for the worse.

I have a Nokia Lumia 710 - Windows Phone 7 device. I'm pretty happy with it. I came from an older android that I was quite frustrated with. The Nokia has better sound, is much faster/smoother (the old phone was 3 years old, so that's to be expected) but I never feel like I am waiting for too much. For a mid-range price (9000 baht with a free bluetooth hands free) I am really happy. I wouldn't spring the 15k or more for the Lumia 800 or 900. In that range I might go back to an Android. Or just get an iPad.

Nokia Belle device (C7). Very happy with it.

Half price than iPhones, Samsung Flagships.

Advantages: High built quality, fantastic sound system, 5-Band 3G for world travel, better RF reception, best GPS, free worldwide offline navigation with regular map updates, better battery than most smartphones, slick and small for my front pocket.

Disadvantage: Not many games, a phone for adults only. :)

Today I would buy a 701 or wait for the 808 Pureview.

Edited by GreenSnapper

Used windows smartphones for ages, still like them, but curently on Android, for one simple reason: product support...

Lots of software now available only for Android/iphone...

E.g. Teamviewer, a pretty popular remote pc control program only has apps for android and iphone mobile devices...

Many more examples...

Was a bit reluctant to change, but grew to like android....

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Advantages: High built quality, fantastic sound system, 5-Band 3G for world travel, better RF reception, best GPS, free worldwide offline navigation with regular map updates, better battery than most smartphones, slick and small for my front pocket.

Disadvantage: Not many games, a phone for adults only. smile.png

I have the same phone and I just can not fault it. It also has a very good camera on board.

Yes, the Nokia Symbian smartphones do represent a tremendous value for the consumer. The N8 can still be found new at less than 50% of the original price, and the C7 is available now for just under 7,000 baht. Nokia's desperation to keep top-line revenue from cratering, OK it's already cratered, means they are just about giving product away at near/below cost. Sure the quality has dipped quite a bit but still, for a 2nd phone, or even a throw-away, they are certainly passable. Now if they had all the features of a decent mid-range Android phone I'd certainly recommend one.

Yes, the Nokia Symbian smartphones do represent a tremendous value for the consumer. The N8 can still be found new at less than 50% of the original price, and the C7 is available now for just under 7,000 baht. Nokia's desperation to keep top-line revenue from cratering, OK it's already cratered, means they are just about giving product away at near/below cost. Sure the quality has dipped quite a bit but still, for a 2nd phone, or even a throw-away, they are certainly passable. Now if they had all the features of a decent mid-range Android phone I'd certainly recommend one.

What features are you referring to Lomatopo?

Nokia N95 8 GB (Symbian), does everything it needs to, 5MP Camera, GPS, Wireless, Bluetooth, lots of storage, Web. Own it already for over 3 Years. never needed fixing, still got the original battery, and mainly it just works, why change ??

Edited by MJCM

It would be nice if you stop commenting on things you plainly don't understand and have no experience. This fanboy-trolling gets tiring...

I've a LG smart phone, it was their top of the line a year ago, running on Gingerbread. The phone is great, my complaint is how fast the batteries die if I use many features, (wireless, GPS, etc). I read that the Blackberry operating system is much better code and the Blackberry will get far superior battery performance compared to either the IPhone or the Android.

Nokia N95 8 GB (Symbian), does everything it needs to, 5MP Camera, GPS, Wireless, Bluetooth, lots of storage, Web. Own it already for over 3 Years. never needed fixing, still got the original battery, and mainly it just works, why change ??

you cant seriously compare a nokia n95 with todays top of the range android and iphone models

yes ,its still a good phone ,and yes,it still does everything you may need to do with it but its like comparing

a sega mega drive to a playstation because they can both play games ........or comparing an old car to a modern car because they can both still drive

there is worlds of things you can do with android and ios now that a old nokia couldnt keep up with

^ But that wasn't the question the OP asked

The question was:

Does any one actually use a non Android / Apple mobile phone , if so I would be interested to know which one and your thoughts about it .

And I ain't comparing because I never used an Android or an Apple Phone, so I can't. :wai:

Edited by MJCM

I have had Blackberries for 4 years now and presently using a 9900 series. I love it and now have the Blackberry Playbook that connects via bluetooth to my 9900 so I have access to all my files, contacts, mail etc....

Actually, the BB Playbook is one of the most interesting tablets on the market today.

It is dirt cheap, sells in USA for just 200$, in Thailand less than 10000 B for the 16GB, wifi-only version.

But it is not only the price: the tablet is very well build, ideal travel size of 7" display, has a very pleasing GUI and probably the fastest browser in the market. Outperforms everything, including the latest expensive Samsungs and iPads.

It is not only for owners of Blackberry phones. It can connect via BT/DUN to most phones so you can have internet everywhere.

The BB appstore is still limited, though, but it can run certain (but not all) Android programs via its compatibility layer.

The Playbook is not Android, but runs QNX, a fast capable OS which has real multitasking, not limited as Android or iOS.

If you don't want to shell out much money and can live with the available apps, it is certainly something to consider. Check it out, Thai shops like TGFONE have it in stock.

^ But that wasn't the question the OP asked

yes ,i understand

but just because a nokia n95 is good for you ,doesnt mean it will be good for him

i used to love nokias and bought nothing else for about 8 years ,but the quality went downhill

handsets became cheaper and more unreliable ,at one stage you could almost* hammer in nails with a nokia

phone and it didnt break

Apropos, "The End Of Android As We Know It":

http://www.infoworld...ld_top_stories_

some junior at apple was probably given the task of writing this article :)

windows phone 8 is going to be a hard sell no matter how good it is since all the other windows phones before it were pretty crap

and if it wants to compete with the SGS 3 or 4 and the coming iphone 5 or even 6 its going to have to be an expensive piece of kit

i dont know if people are going to pay maybe 25,000+ thb to "upgrade" to a phone with an unproven system ,launched by a company

who has made nothing but failures in the past regarding phone systems

android 4.0 and the iphone 4s are rock solid systems and there is an app for everything you can imagine and then some .....:)

for microsoft to knock them off them off the top ,would take many years of success i doubt they are even capable of ,not going to happen within 2 years for sure

Disadvantage: Not many games, a phone for adults only. smile.png

N8 here.

Agree with most the advantages and obv add camera in N8's case. Not really gps though as it is seriously lacking in points of interest and map detail compared to google maps. Can install hacked sygic on android too which is offline and supposedly good.

Disadvantages: Belle is an improvement but symbian still well behind ios and android in user experience imo. Obviously lack of apps and the ones it does have are generally inferior to the IOS/droid versions. Phone is pretty sluggish with it's outdated 680mhz processor and weeny ram. QT apps take an age to open for example, and the portrait qwerty is infuriatingly sluggish (not to mention extremely hard to type on). Random restarts where phone says please insert sim card - My friends does the same and nokia shop confirmed this is not uncommon. Native browser is STILL so mind blowingly bad I am embarrassed for nokia.

Prob gonna pick up a nexus and keep n8 for cam/gps/back up phone

To day in a Jaymart shop , I had a play with

Nokia N8 priced at 10,890 ฿

Nokia X7 priced at 12,500 ฿

Nokia 603 priced at 6,900 ฿

Nokia E7 priced at 19,000 ฿

Nokia 701 priced at 11,300 ฿

running Symbian Anna / Belle

All very nice in their own way , but the question that flashed through my mind was , is it a wise move to now buy a new Symbian phone when its future regarding OS support updates etc , could be bleak sad.png What do you think ?

I did not see any Nokia Windows phone on display , when I asked , the answer was there coming next month , one comment by the shops manageress was that there's a steady daily stream of people asking about Windows phones whistling.gif

I have a Nokia Lumia 710 - Windows Phone 7 device. I'm pretty happy with it. I came from an older android that I was quite frustrated with. The Nokia has better sound, is much faster/smoother (the old phone was 3 years old, so that's to be expected) but I never feel like I am waiting for too much. For a mid-range price (9000 baht with a free bluetooth hands free) I am really happy. I wouldn't spring the 15k or more for the Lumia 800 or 900. In that range I might go back to an Android. Or just get an iPad.

This seem's a decent specification for 7,400 ฿ smile.png

1-1.png

2.png