Adoption In Thailand

jbowman1993

Hi All,

My wife and I were just discussing the possiblities of adoption of a Thai child. Our situation is this. I am 30 year old farang, teaching at major public university, my wife is a Thai businesswoman, cfo of a manufacturing company. We own our own house, and are full time residents of Thailand, with no plans to leave.

Does anyone have any experiences with this type of situation? I already did a forum seach, but didn't come up with any similar examples.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Peace

Edited by jbowman1993

I would first of all suggest that you make sure your wife is really OK with the idea of adopting.

Most Thais are very uncomfortable with adopting a child who is not known to them – i.e. not part of their immediate family. It’s quite common to adopt within the extended family but to bring in a child whose past is unknown is not at all the norm here in Thailand.

Your wife would seem to be an educated woman so perhaps she has no qualms about the prospect, but it’s essential to ensure she has thought it through and is not just agreeing simply to please you - the future consequences and strains on your relationship could be quite significant.

Patrick

Most Thais are very uncomfortable with adopting a child who is not known to them – i.e. not part of their immediate family. It’s quite common to adopt within the extended family but to bring in a child whose past is unknown is not at all the norm here in Thailand.

I agree with this 100%.

I would first of all suggest that you make sure your wife is really OK with the idea of adopting.

Your wife would seem to be an educated woman so perhaps she has no qualms about the prospect, but it’s essential to ensure she has thought it through and is not just agreeing simply to please you - the future consequences and strains on your relationship could be quite significant.

Patrick

Thanks!

She is quite ok with the idea, since she was the one to suggest it. (Perhaps my wife is just atypical). So, whats the next step? Home country is the US

Thanks

Edited by jbowman1993

If you are adopting a child you are giving him/her you nationality as well.

You will have to check with the US Embassy for the procedure.

I asked the Thai authorities and was told I had to do it in the UK.