Hurt Shoulder By Stretching

Wrong Turn

2 days ago my shoulder felt "tight." I'm 41 and stopped going to the gym 2 months ago because of work schedule and honestly, laziness.

Instinctively, I stretched it, taking my left arm and straightening it and pushing my left arm across my chest with my right arm. (I've forgetton the name of this stretch exercise.)

My mistake was stretching cold. And I did this once.

Since then, my should has largely been immobile. It has a pain at the top of the shoulder. It hurts when I bend down forward.

Pain and immobility.

Should I just wait ? Try anti-imflammatories? Acupuncuture?

Note* - I have never injured this should in any way, ever. This happen just by one stretch.

Thanks to anyone that can offer advice.

If the pain is at the back of the top of the shoulder, it is probably a strain of the long head of the triceps muscle (search triceps muscle strain) and see if your symptoms fit.

Best to rest it with an ice pack over the painful area. Anti-inflammatory drugs may help as well.

I agree with FBN about the ice and you could also try putting on a medication like tiger balm on the affected area at night and wearing a shirt to bed (so that the shoulder is covered up). It is possible (though not too likely) that the cramp was caused by a sodium or potassium deficiency so some electrolytes (gatorade) or potatoes + salt won't hurt. Also plenty of fluids.

If the pain is at the back of the top of the shoulder, it is probably a strain of the long head of the triceps muscle (search triceps muscle strain) and see if your symptoms fit.

Best to rest it with an ice pack over the painful area. Anti-inflammatory drugs may help as well.

Thanks, FBN.

I took Anti-Inflammarotires (Indocine/Indomethacin) and they worked immediately. I took 3 dosages of 50 mg every 6 hours after food and w/ a glass of water.

After one full day ( 3 dosages) I decided to stop taking them, and the stiffness and pain returned slowly and steadily and then became as 100% painful and immobile as before.

So I started taking the anti-inflamm again.

it's now been 72 hours, 3 full days.

I agree with FBN about the ice and you could also try putting on a medication like tiger balm on the affected area at night and wearing a shirt to bed (so that the shoulder is covered up).

Thanks, Neha

I never thought about the Tiger Balm. I will try it. As for covering up the shoulder, it is very hot where I am at and I do not use A/C at night but one fan and it's still hot.

It is possible (though not too likely) that the cramp was caused by a sodium or potassium deficiency so some electrolytes (gatorade) or potatoes + salt won't hurt. Also plenty of fluids.

I hever thought of a sodium or potassium deficiency.

But over the last few days I have been dehydrated as I am in a heat wave. I will drink more water, add more sodium to my diet and eat some bananas. Thanks for the advice.