King Rama V Summer House - Kamphaeng Phet

tariq

Hi

My GF is from KPP and I have been visiting her family there for several years. One of her family has a house in Nakhon Chum. About a hundred meters from the house, by a stream which leads to/from Mae Ping river, is an old ruined house. Its a few hundred meters from road AH1 after the junction with Thanon KamphaengPhet.

My GF tells me this house belonged to King Rama V and he used to stay there. Although just a stream in front of it now, it used to be much wider than it currenty is and there were no houses nearby. Her family tell me there were big processions held there with many men in uniform...military men and old style barges.

The house is in a complete mess now with the wood all warped and rotten but you can imagine how grand it must have looked when in use. Although I have walked around the ground floor in recent years I wouldn't risk it now and certainly have not ventured up the rickety stairs.

The land around it is overgrown with weeds and I was wandering if any one knew any thing about the history of this house at all? When I get home tonight I will try and upload a few pics.

Given how revered Rama V is I would have thought this house would have been better taken care of with some official recognition but there's not even a plaque.

Any info on this would be appreciated and I think quite interesting.

Thanks

Tariq

Some noted historical landmarks will naturally go unattended to decay, as in this KP case.

I'm guessing if this structure was one of but a couple of homes Chulalongkorn had around the country, it would probably have more historical significance.

Under Rama V, there were dozens of homes and palaces scattered throughout the country at the time, many in which are maintained as historical sites.....to this day.

As promised here are a few photo's...

I've tried googling for some info oin this place but can't find anything.

If you didn't know it was there you would never find it. Its really tucked away.

Tariq

You might find it belonged to one of his lady friend's. There are several read hundred's scattered around the country. All at the time were paid for by someone ??? but on his death the money stopped and most of the ladies/children ended up with nothing going back to there families, or trying to eeek out a living. The better one's were taken over by the hierachy the one's not wanted left to rot.

This is acording to my Thai wife, one elder member of her family happen's to be the child of same.

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

Tariq, Thanks for posting these great pics. It's a pitty that it has never been kept up, but it must be somewhat looked after by someone or it would have been picked clean of all useable wood by now. Would be interesting to know the whole story one day.

Thanks again for sharing !

• 1 month later...

As promised here are a few photo's...

I've tried googling for some info oin this place but can't find anything.

If you didn't know it was there you would never find it. Its really tucked away.

Tariq

You might find it belonged to one of his lady friend's. There are several read hundred's scattered around the country. All at the time were paid for by someone ??? but on his death the money stopped and most of the ladies/children ended up with nothing going back to there families, or trying to eeek out a living. The better one's were taken over by the hierachy the one's not wanted left to rot.

This is acording to my Thai wife, one elder member of her family happen's to be the child of same.

An excellent reply on a sensitive subject..

• 4 weeks later...