Innovative Thai Advertising With A Risk Of Losing Your Bank Card

I do not think that Thailand has any laws around advertizing. That we are done with advertizing is clear. I personally think it is the next stupid question the bank asked you. What I would like to know if your card was a Thai card or farang card? I also ask myself if people are imuum for advertizing after 100 years.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I left mine at the 7-11 corner of Soi Diana and Bukhao Pattaya because of that different order thing. A couple of minutes later I realised and came back, no card. Taxi riders hanging around next to it, didn't know anything. Yeah right. How many was that for the day? Then got a new one sent, emergency assist, and an ATM swallowed that too! Third time lucky. (don't use the emergency in an ATM)

You can always ask some dougee looking Thai that hangs around the ATM for some helpwhistling.gif

I suppose "dougee" is meant to be "dodgy" or some other randomly misspelled insult aimed at the general Thai population.

Just amazing how "dougee" some of the TV rants are.

Push the cancel button on the ATM and move on. It you can't cope with advertising and technology without setting off world-wide Interpol alerts, is it any wonder Thai people are less than impressed by the average farang.

• Like 1

I do not think that Thailand has any laws around advertizing. That we are done with advertizing is clear. I personally think it is the next stupid question the bank asked you. What I would like to know if your card was a Thai card or farang card? I also ask myself if people are imuum for advertizing after 100 years.

The amount of spam email suggests we are still not immune to advertising...

But what really drives me up the wall, is the sms advertising. Even though I am kept mainly add free by AIS on my post paid plan ( I asked have asked for no sms adds a few times to keep it at a minimum ) The banks, especially Ayutaya send me like 20 sms per month advertising promotions on mainly my Thai credit cards.

Taxi riders hanging around next to it, didn't know anything. Yeah right. How many was that for the day?

You forgot the card and it's the motorcycle taxi drivers to blame. It's all a conspiracy to take advantage of the clueless, I suppose.

Nobody appreciates ATM fees, be it debit card transactions, out-of-network ATM transactions or the dreaded stand-alone machines in convenient stores, shops and pubs which charge inflated fees.

Enter Clint Townsend, a 25-year-old entrepreneur from Brooklyn who is building a network of ATMs that dispense cash for free. The only catch is that customers must be willing to watch some advertising while their money is dispensed.

Townsend launched the first of his free ATMs in November 2011 picking a live music venue The Knitting Factory for the location. The first client to advertise on the machine was Domino Brooklyn, an entertainment app for Brooklyn residents.

http://www.savingsaccountfinder.com.au/savings-account-news/could-atm-advertising-spell-end-of-atm-fees

Apparently the people in Brooklyn have been coping with this diabolical Thai conspiracy without requiring anyone to hold their hands.

By the way, in Villa Sukhumvit 11 about a week ago, I found a black Standard Chartered Mastercard ATM card left in the slot. I handed it to the staff who put it in their drawer in case you are reading this. Farang name that I have now forgotten.

One thing of note...the owner hadn't completed his transaction. When I went to the ATM, it was showing a healthy balance with an option to press yes/no for another transaction...

Guys and Gals..be more careful. Lucky I found it - but it might have been another story with someone less ethical.

Edited by BKKBrit
  • Like 1

Is it just one bank? If so which please? Or is it all of them?

If it is one bank I for one will not use their ATM in future. Getting a new card here is just too diffficult to risk losing it!!!

its very easy to get a replacement card if you go straight to your bank where account is held.took me 30minutes max.i had left my card in another ATM machine the night before.

Yes fine if you are using a Thai bank account ATM card but tourists, business visitors and indeed many expats who live here permanently with their income in their home country, use their home country based ATM / Credit Cards to get Thai Cash. If you lose that it is one hell of a hassle and long wait to get a replacement card sent to you and some UK banks will not send to Thailand anyway which means you have to get it sent to a relative or friend who then forwards it on to you.

I am retired here and lived here for 9 years now and I find it easiest, and in fact overall cheapest to use one of my UK Credit Cards to withdraw cash at an ATM (AEON Bank machines have NO 150 Baht ATM charge ) and simply pay the card off at the end of the month from my UK bank via internet banking, so simple and cheaper way unless you are transferring large sums over to here, which I do not as I use my credit card charge free for making all general purchases like food, petrol, mobile telephone bills, Internet provider bills, clothes, and buying gadgets and household stuff etc. Clear the outstanding balance at the end of the month before the due date and there are NO charges for purchases but there are charges and interest from day 1 for withdrawing cash as it is an advance of course from a credit card.

So as you can imagine there is no way I want to risk losing my UK credit card thank you as I need it to live (have a couple as reserves to be safe). Already had a card cloned recently without my knowledge (no loss to me as my VISA card is covered for fraud and anyway they efficiently picked up the fraud instantly) so it was stopped and it took 3 weeks with the slow post to get the replacement card here with a new account number, bloody inconvenient and I felt like murdering the idiot sh*thead responsible. This has only happened to me once in 9 years but still shows that you should never ever leave sight of your credit card in ANY shop or petrol station.

Edited by rayw

The headline of this thread says "Innovative Thai Advertising With A Risk Of Losing Your Bank Card". I don't see how you could lose your bank card though? It seems like if you just answer the question your card comes straight out. Or if you wait for a while and don't answer the question, does your card get kept by the ATM?

Come on George...this has been going on for ages but your email header "Warning" is misleading - it doesn't take your card. Just hit yes or no and either way the card comes out..

I think the heading is correct. I have forgotten my card in an ATM here 2 or 3 times. This will make that more likley. I understood that to be what the warning was about.

Edited by NomadJoe

I never use ATM! I go into the Bank with my card and passport, and tell how much I want take out,

It's give you much better exchange rate (TT) and NO 150thb, you can take out 20,000 every time, but you can do it 2 time to get 40,

OK take little bit more time, but you save a lot of money, and no risk to lose your card.

I do this for years now and I save 700-1,200thb every mounth

And one more thing look this site before you go to a Bank, to get the best exchange rate

http://www.bankthail...changeRates.htm

Good Luck

Tom/

Many of us work here and have Thai bank accounts so exchange rates and 150B fee's don't apply.

Edited by NomadJoe

I use the Yellow bank ( Krungsri ) ATM and I always get the money first, then my ATM card and last the receipt. And there is not publicity yet....

And like another ronthai said..we are allowed 4 free withdrawal using other bank ATM each month in the same banking area but the banks charge 10 bahts for the 4 "free" withdrawal outside your banking area...

I use Bkk Bank ATM's. They operate with the same sequence of events as your Yellow one (maybe all others also). The OP quotes a different sequence? Anyhow, a good idea to closely follow instructions on the screen. When my card is ejected, a loud beeping noise is emitted from the machine until the card is removed. So you would have to be very quick to leave without being reminded to remove your card. Short of an emergency, I would always use an ATM at the bank branch.
  • Like 1

Yes. Use ATM's at bank branches when they are open. That way if they eat your card, you can go inside and ask them to take it out of the ATM machine and give it back to you.

Last time I used an ATM away from a bank was in Cambodia and the machine ate my card after giving me money and receipt. Took me 5 days to get it back from the bank in Cambodia, but I got lucky and finally got it back.

Now it's either go into the bank and get cash at the teller's window or else use an ATM outside a working and open bank office. My card is from my home country and getting a replacement is a major hassle. Earlier post mentions that going to the teller saves the 150 B ATM charge, but sometimes the bank adds a charge of its own. In Cambodia they added a $10 "service fee" when I used the teller to withdraw some cash.

I'm also thinking about asking for an extra card or two for family members. Then put the extra cards away and not have to worry so much about losing my main card(s).

What about the Angry Birds debit card info that appears on Kasikorn bank screen - I don't know what to push so I waited and thankfully I got my card back. This was at 2am in the airport. I have continued doing this when I take out money elsewhere.

You can always ask some dougee looking Thai that hangs around the ATM for some helpwhistling.gif

I suppose "dougee" is meant to be "dodgy" or some other randomly misspelled insult aimed at the general Thai population.

Just amazing how "dougee" some of the TV rants are.

Push the cancel button on the ATM and move on. It you can't cope with advertising and technology without setting off world-wide Interpol alerts, is it any wonder Thai people are less than impressed by the average farang.

Actually I meant dougie (sorry for the misspell, the spellcheck did not flag dougee)

The term "dougie" means to have a cool or hip style.

dougie cool danny fresh harry mcfly tom dougie fresh

I wonder what future survey questions you ned to answer correctly to get your card back!..........Do you love our Thaksin? What's your favourite colour? Is Yingluck the fairest in the land? Would you vote PTP in the next election?........

Edited by bigbamboo
  • Like 1

The headline of this thread says "Innovative Thai Advertising With A Risk Of Losing Your Bank Card". I don't see how you could lose your bank card though? It seems like if you just answer the question your card comes straight out. Or if you wait for a while and don't answer the question, does your card get kept by the ATM?

The HSBC ATM's in Vietnam do the same thing, only there is a time limit - this is before you get your money, if you don't make the time limit to answer this question, you don't get your money or your card back ........... I had this happen, only to find the HSBC people in Saigon claim they don't have this in their ATM's - so I waited by the ATM all afternoon warning people about using it, finally, a guy shows up with a key and a money bag - I confronted him wanting my card back and the money (I had the slip) Only after hailing the tourist police did he allow me to get my card back, inside there were about thirty credit cards - the police put tape over the whole machine and two more in the bank doorway to investigate..........anyone else see this with HSBC ATM's??? first time I have ever used one and will not use one again............thumbsup.gif

As this is Thai Visa, I think it safe to assume that the majority of members do know how Thai ATMs work. I can't say this is a problem I have ever encountered - though, on occasion, getting my card back has proved challenging.

And generally with Thai ATMs, they work as elsewhere: you receive your cash, then a message asking whether or not you want a receipt. If you press no, naturally you just get your card back; if you press yes, the card's appearance precedes the receipt's.

I've also noticed they no longer ask before you do the transaction if you want to do it with the 10 Baht fee if you use another bank's ATM machine.

Before they used to put up a screen showing what you wanted to do and the fee and asked if you wanted to proceed. Now there's no warning screen there'll be a fee and they just deduct the money.

I don't recall ever seeing a message asking whether or not you wanted to proceed with a transaction, and the B10 fee, at another bank's ATM. They did - and still do - display that message when you are, for example, paying a bill via the ATM.

Come on George...this has been going on for ages but your email header "Warning" is misleading - it doesn't take your card. Just hit yes or no and either way the card comes out..

Correct! And by the way, I use ATM cards of several different Thai banks all over Thailand on a daily basis, never saw an ad untiul I read this post. Furthermore, never do theATM machines give the receipt first, unless you transfer to another account. The money always comes out first....

As this is Thai Visa, I think it safe to assume that the majority of members do know how Thai ATMs work. I can't say this is a problem I have ever encountered - though, on occasion, getting my card back has proved challenging.

And generally with Thai ATMs, they work as elsewhere: you receive your cash, then a message asking whether or not you want a receipt. If you press no, naturally you just get your card back; if you press yes, the card's appearance precedes the receipt's.

I fully concur with above.

After many years using ATM's here, never had problems so far. But from reading experiences of others, I will never say never for the future.

I had a similar issue in Samui but I had a few changs under my belt. Being used to the aussie banks (and I assume others) that make you take your card before giving you your cash. I took my cash and left the bank, then realizing I lost my card an hour or so later, luckily the bank had it waiting for the the next morning.

Is it just one bank? If so which please? Or is it all of them?

If it is one bank I for one will not use their ATM in future. Getting a new card here is just too diffficult to risk losing it!!!

its very easy to get a replacement card if you go straight to your bank where account is held.took me 30minutes max.i had left my card in another ATM machine the night before.

Ditto. I had to replace a SCB card. Piece of cake, but cost 200 baht.

If you read the OP though it looks like there's no risk of losing it, so you'd be safe. It's a misleading headline for the thread I think.

It's not misleading....you actually don't know ..do you?

Happened to me and I almost went inside the bank to see about my card before noting the very small not interested button on the screen. Not everyone will look closely, especially I would think, tourists who have no idea in the differences in ATMs here. I like the one (I used in the US) where you slide your card in and out. No keeping the card in the machine at all.

Same thing in the Philippines, great idea, you have to take your card BEFORE you can get your money.