Thai Public Health Ministry To Expand Booze-Free Zones

webfact

"The ministry's permanent secretary Dr Paijit Warachit, who chaired a meeting with the alcohol-control committee yesterday, said the move was to cut down on deaths from road accidents and criminal activities."

The concept of ENFORCING the prohibition against driving while under the influence dosen't make sense? Oh, that's right; this is Thailand.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... so much for drinking in a government office, in a factory, and in my tricycle. Where or where shall I drink now?

At least NOW we understand why the government is so dysfunctional and just about everything made here is total crap. thumbsup.gif

I do not get all of the sarcasm being posted. If you look around you there are just a few three-wheeled vehicles on the roads. Duh! Also that is quite a leap in logic: Drinking restriction legislation for thee-wheelers to the assumption of drinking in gov't offices. Regarding your off-topic, uninformed and base comment about the quality of items made in Thailand it appears that you are a gross minority. Between the beginning of 2003 and the end of last year Thailand's exports grew approximately 440%, measured in USD. Perhaps the tape that is on the lady's mouth in your post icon should be placed across your computer keyboard!

"one prohibiting the distribution and consumption of alcohol in public areas and pavements, though this ban is already covered by the Land Transport and Land Traffic Acts"

So, it's already illegal to drink in these areas but no-one obeys this law and now they are going to pass another law that says the same thing??? cheesy.gif

I think it's also covered by the Computer act...cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Am I getting this straight, If I have a puncture, I have to ditch the beer.

No way! You still can stay in your Bentley and grab a new beer out of the fridge, and let James worry about the tire change.

quote:

For instance, if a person drinking inside a pub walked out with his drink to have a cigarette on the pavement, would this be illegal or not?

Unquote.

OF COURSE HIGHLY ILLEGAL!!!

1. You cannot smoke on the street

2. Fine of 2,000 THB for the ashes that are falling from your cigarette

3. Drinking in public areas since you are OUT of the pub.

4. Your cigarettes are probably contraband...

5. I wonder what your blood test would reveal...

6. and there will also be somewhere an offense against the Computer act, since this covers almost everything!

Say in brief: you' re close to a dead penalty, which will be reduced to 50% as you will confess to all the crimes that you have committed.

Three wheeled vehicles? Not two, four, six, but three wheeled vehicles? Apart from the assumption that the drink-driving law would cover that, why is a three wheeled vehicle viewed as a 'zone'?

And the observation that the ministry would have to forbid drinking on pavements etc - already, technically, covered under other laws, and typically ignored, especially, of late, in Thonglor - and that ". . . this could possibly affect people." Is that not the idea? Then, to qualify that statement: "For instance, if a person drinking inside a pub walked out with his drink to have a cigarette on the pavement, would this be illegal or not?" What sort of hypothesis is that? If drinking on the pavement is banned - as in enforced - then taking a drink onto the pavement, if it is then consumed, is banned. Otherwise, why take the drink outside at all?

Perhaps the Thai pubs should take a leaf out of the UK's book of drinking etiquette, where many pubs, in town and country, have enclosed outside areas/gardens at the back and sides of the building.

Edited by JohnAllan

Some government health policy is actually sound and beneficial for the society. No smoking in air conditioned areas was a good idea.

Too bad for corruption and greed and cheating.

Too bad the police functions as an autonomous entity.

Do they teach children and students about alcohol/drugs in school?

Are there public service commercials on TV?

Three wheeled vehicles? Not two, four, six, but three wheeled vehicles? Apart from the assumption that the drink-driving law would cover that, why is a three wheeled vehicle viewed as a 'zone'?

And the observation that the ministry would have to forbid drinking on pavements etc - already, technically, covered under other laws, and typically ignored, especially, of late, in Thonglor - and that ". . . this could possibly affect people." Is that not the idea? Then, to qualify that statement: "For instance, if a person drinking inside a pub walked out with his drink to have a cigarette on the pavement, would this be illegal or not?" What sort of hypothesis is that? If drinking on the pavement is banned - as in enforced - then taking a drink onto the pavement, if it is then consumed, is banned. Otherwise, why take the drink outside at all?

Perhaps the Thai pubs should take a leaf out of the UK's book of drinking etiquette, where many pubs, in town and country, have enclosed outside areas/gardens at the back and sides of the building.

The point is that it's not currently banned to drink outdoors as it is in many countries, IMO ridiculous.

I don't understand the government agencies though, surely keeping a bottle in the desk and offering a round when visitors come by is still normal isn't it?

IMO actually enforcing existing disorderly conduct and drunk driving laws would make much more sense than cutting down on where alcohol can be consumed.

turning into another nanny state, province, country etc recklessly chipping away at your freedom by fools who think they are intelligent because they are in government, rebel I say, I think they should ban alcohol, drugs, cigarettes, scooters, trikes, tuk tuks, taxis and anything alse that may be responsible for your early demise, oh and of course the little people that do one lap of a licence test track to get their licence

perhaps what they should implement is taking away their bike/ car/trike etc for a period of time IF THE DRIVER IS CAUGHT, with an alcohol content over a certain level, and if they have 3 strikes then confiscate their vehicle, sell it, crush it, burn it, whatever, i think the lessons in life that have a huge cost are the lessons remembered, problem is to catch them

"one prohibiting the distribution and consumption of alcohol in public areas and pavements, though this ban is already covered by the Land Transport and Land Traffic Acts"

So, it's already illegal to drink in these areas but no-one obeys this law and now they are going to pass another law that says the same thing??? cheesy.gif

Don´t you see the hike? Another field for the collection of tea-money.wai.gif

Can't you people see that he is just being Thai? Image over substance.

He is simply showing that he cares and thereby, pleasing his ego and the administration.

There is no sound scientific reasoning in the proposed ban. It is high-schoollish.

A friend who comes every 2 years to Thailand said that the country has potential. But it will never materialize. This is not a serious country, he added, because they have their collective heads up their rectum. Mostly in government.

The government should get Chalerm on the case and push for the complete eradication of alcohol from Thailand within three months to show what a shining example to the world the Land of Smiles is.... whilst remembering to make perfectly clear that this action will have absolutely no effect on tourism numbers of course.

So if they have two laws covering the same thing, they can collect twice the tea money?

Nobody can take this dribble seriously. Same thing again and again, but........ I love the humor it generates in the forum!

consumption of alcohol in public areas and pavements, though this ban is already covered by the Land Transport and Land Traffic Acts.

Beach Rd

Jomtien

everyday people camp on the footpath and drink, then drive to work or home

accidents all the time

its amazing to see that at 6-7 am people well into a bottle of whiskey

music blasting - no idea of what time it is or whos around

NO ONE dares confront these people otherwise there's a fight - knives guns any thing.

Saw a kid hit a car the other day - he was drunk and tried a runner - they caught him and he fought back - after a really good thumping he wai'd everyone and settled down - realising his fate.

I dont envy the job of telling people not to drink down here

i would feel better if they focused on breathalysing drivers and motorbike taxis and making bigger fines for drunk driving and enforcing them.

who cares if someone is drinking on the street? (most other countries allow it, except USA)...

the problem is not the drinking, but its what people do when they LEAVE the bar!! (ie: drunk driving).

i would feel better if they focused on breathalysing drivers and motorbike taxis and making bigger fines for drunk driving and enforcing them.

who cares if someone is drinking on the street? (most other countries allow it, except USA)...

the problem is not the drinking, but its what people do when they LEAVE the bar!! (ie: drunk driving).

pedantic i know, but this is not true. drinking on the street is regulated at the local level (cities and towns) and not statewide or federal (although it may be state law in some places, but none that i know of)