Details Of Previous Sponsorship To Australia

Hi guys,

I am about to lodge an application to sponsor my Thai wife to immigrate to Australia.

On the application you have to provide details of any previous sponsorship. I sponsored my ex wife from Austria to Australia some 20 years ago. Some of the information they require for e.g. What was the date we lodged the application and what was the date the application was approved ? I simply have no record of.

Does anybody have any idea where I can gather all the required details?

Thanks for any advice

Cheers

Jack

Edited by JackRyan

Hi Jack

As it's 20 years ago, I doubt DIAC will have much interest.

As long as it's declared, just put approximate dates like 01/01/1990.

DIAC can always check if need be by your name anyway so as long

as you declare it, there shouldn't be a problem.

If you're not comfortable with that, just email or give them a call for

the dates.

Regards

Will

• Like 1

Jack, DIAC will have records of all your previous sponsorships despite it being 20 years ago.

I wouldnt worry too much, I would leave the unknown areas blank and

Hi Jack

As it's 20 years ago, I doubt DIAC will have much interest.

As long as it's declared, just put approximate dates like 01/01/1990.

DIAC can always check if need be by your name anyway so as long

as you declare it, there shouldn't be a problem.

If you're not comfortable with that, just email or give them a call for

the dates.

Regards

Will

+1^^

DIAC do have records dating back to your period in question and they will fill in the require dates for you.

Will and Edwin,

Thank you for your replies.

I know they would have a record of it. What concerns me is that it may slow down the whole process if they have to go find the details, you know how they can be.

I guess I will just answer with approx dates and leave it up to them.

Again thank you for your advice.

Cheers

jack

• Like 1

Will and Edwin,

Thank you for your replies.

I know they would have a record of it. What concerns me is that it may slow down the whole process if they have to go find the details, you know how they can be.

I guess I will just answer with approx dates and leave it up to them.

Again thank you for your advice.

Cheers

jack

Hi Jack,

A very good mate of mine requires a RRV for an imminent trip to the UK.

He came in as a babe 10 pound pom. He is now in his 40's!. (Port of arrival, time of arrival and name of boat..)He has no records at all, not even a PR certificate but a flick of a button DIAC found himbiggrin.png .

I myself forgot the dates of numerous trips made to Australia when I was migrating and left many blank spaces. Once again a flick of .....biggrin.png .

I dont know whether you are in Australia right now, if so a trip to your nearest DIAC will put your mind at rest and they actually are extremely helpful.

Wishing you all the best and much success!

Edited by edwinclapham
  • Like 1

Edwin,

I live in Bangkok so a trip to the department wouldn't work.

That's good to know that they can find the info quickly and easily. As I said my main concern was delaying what is already a lengthy process.

Thanks for your best wishes

Cheers

Jack

• Like 1

Unless you already know the requested info from DIAC probably relates to changes to sponsorship law in late 1990's that relatess to you not being permitted to sponsor another foreign partner within five years of the previous sponsored relationship. So long as you're divorced and have the court divorce papers (decree nisi?) you will be fine.

My dealings with the Australian Embassy and the Visa Section have always been pretty easy as they are very approachable and straightforward. Dont leave any blanks - put "unknown but approximately xxx" and I'm sure they will sort it out without anyy hassles.

Edwin,

I live in Bangkok so a trip to the department wouldn't work.

That's good to know that they can find the info quickly and easily. As I said my main concern was delaying what is already a lengthy process.

Thanks for your best wishes

Cheers

Jack

They're efficient alright. They seem to know people's tax history better than the taxpayers themselves, according to one unlucky friend.

I'm not familiar with this exact issue but a mate of mine was sponsoring a third (yep, unlucky in love he was) woman to Australia in ten years. They were tough on him and they even called me and everyone else who wrote a letter confirming the bona fides of his relationship. But he got there. The fact is that if it is a genuine relationship and you're really up front they'll work it out. People have said above, and it's true, don't leave stuff out, they hate that.

Best of luck. I just got a new 12 month visitor visa for my wife as we live in PNG and they have a new form '80' (character assessment) which asks for details of all of her relatives and mine plus complete details of every trip to Australia and everywhere else for the last 10 years. We had to attach two pages to it and spend ages going through her passport reading stamps in and out to determine everywhere she'd been. Including all her trips back to Thailand. It was a pain in the a*se.