Hotel Advice Needed

ANDY2463

Hi all, a bit of advice needed, my wife me and two daughters aged 3 and .10 are coming to Chiang Mai in June for a 5 day Family visit.

We have never been to CM before and do not know any hotels or places to visit (I suspect our relations will take care of places to visit and eat)) any advice is welcome.

Don’t know if anyone can recommend a Hotel, guest house, or apartment they know of that is family friendly, swimming pool for our kids.

We would like to be central to the city, we like the markets, both day and night, wife likes shopping (nothing new there).

The price range up to 4500Bht a night don’t really wont to spent that but will if nice place for the kids

I have read that there are two parts to the city old and new? Really don’t know enough about the place I am at work at the moment so will do some research

Many thanks and regards in advance

I would stay in the old town, the area within the city moat. It's central for sightseeing and walking around, and also a relatively quiet area.

For example:

http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/chiang_mai/bodhi_serene_chiang_mai_hotel.html

http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/chiang_mai/sirilanna_chiang_mai_hotel.html

http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/chiang_mai/tamarind_village_hotel.html

• Like 1

If I was coming here with the family; I think i would think seriously about the Tamarind Village.

As central as you can wish, lovely swimming pool inside, and yet despite it being central when inside the grounds its like an oasis, you wouldnt know it was a town outside.

low season now so for this upmarket place half your budget should be sufficient.

• Like 1

Guys many thanks for taking the time to post very helpfull, the advice already is very helpfull to us, as you know you can go through Hotel sites all day ,but nothing beats on the ground knowlage cheers

The Shangrila Hotel has an off season special for under 3000 baht a night including buffet breakfast. The pool area cannot be beat, and it is near the night bazaar. I am sure that if you check agoda, or other webesites, and look at various hotels, and then go to their websites you may find some outstanding bargains.

Try to steer clear of the Downtown Inn.

Even if it hadn't had the earlier problems, this was never a family destination.

I've used the Royal Lanna a lot. The price is always good and the pool is clean. Good views, but some night bazaar noise if you're on a lower floor.

Agree with WTK, Tamarind Village fits the bill to a T. Another, similar property adjacent Night Bazaar, is Yang Come Village and both hotels definitely have specials on at the moment as I checked for a friend just last week.

Try to steer clear of the Downtown Inn.

And the Chiang Mai Plaza unless they've had change in management in the last few years. bah.gif

I'd go with Tamarind if you have the money. Cool, quiet, right within the old city but feels miles from anywhere.

Have a read of Wikitravel's page on CM for an overview.

Edited by jackr

If you're looking for the ultimate family friendly Guesthouse with swimming pool and lush garden, great kitchen and a great (Belgian) host, Daphne,

They have spacious family rooms for you and your daughters,... within your budget.

There's only 1 place in Chiang Mai.

Liam's Suan Dok Mai Guesthouse.

www.liamsuandokmai.com

If you're looking for the ultimate family friendly Guesthouse with swimming pool and lush garden, great kitchen and a great (Belgian) host, Daphne,

They have spacious family rooms for you and your daughters,... within your budget.

There's only 1 place in Chiang Mai.

Liam Suan Dok Mai Guesthouse.

The website is the name + com

Like New York, New York, it must be so good.......Khun Vee named it twice!

Yes I know and I'm sorry but it was rejected the first time because of the link (I suppose?) and the edit-ed it and still the first post was there also,.... blink.png

I don't know how to delete the first post.....

Anyway, have a look on Tripadvisor or any other rating-site and this is simply the best Guesthouse in Chiang Mai.

Ohhhhhhh,.... now I said it 3 times wai.gif

Guys once again many thanks for the advice Tamarind Village and Yang Come Village look Great, Shangri-La also look very nice

I will have a look at Khun Vee site and see what this place is like.

We do appreciate the advice from you , friendly lot you lot up there . i know our kids will love theses places