Using Hazards At Intersections

gisele

My husband (he is Thai) always turns on the hazards any time we come to an intersection. I have seen this done by many others as well.

I question the logic of this but my husband says that you learn this in the driver's ed course.

He just flips the hazards for a few seconds but he is convinced that he won't get into an accident because he does this.

My husband (he is Thai) always turns on the hazards any time we come to an intersection.  I have seen this done by many others as well.

I question the logic of this but my husband says that you learn this in the driver's ed course.

He just flips the hazards for a few seconds but he is convinced that he won't get into an accident because he does this.

Its the old I flashed first so look out I am coming through mentality

It drives me nuts the way they flash there lights at you when driving at night

Does your husband go straight or turn when he has his hazards on

I helped my father inlaw learn to drive but he still failed the test so we had buy the instructor 3 large changs :o:D:D

Anything that makes you more noticible going through those black spots called intersections in LOS is prefered.

I fact I would like to add sirens, horns, some of those huge advertising loudspeakers, a flourescent paint job, more flashing lights and have the whole lot blaring at once.

It would be even better to leave them on the whole time you drive.

The Thai police have instructed drivers to stop using hazards at intersections.

It is not a legally recognized signal for crossing a junction.

So what is a legally recognized signal for crossing a junction?

I personally don't do it, having right of way doesn't count for much here, I slow down instead, at least it gives me more of a chance to avoid plowing into the side of yet another totally blind Thai driver.

I read that any driving with hazard lights on is illegal now - they are only for emergency stops.

Driving through intersections with lights on is plain stupid - you confuse everyone as to your intentions. Only a guy behind you sees that these are hazards lights, people behind him usually see only one light and think that you are going to turn.

People on the left side of the intersection think you are going left, people on the right think you are going right, people approaching from the opposite site think you are going to their left (your right) until you become the first car in the line and they see that you are probably going straight. What if they already going across the intersection thinking that you are not interfering with them?

Same in the rain when many drivers turn the hazard lights on - you see a car ahead of you and you see a light falshing - he must be changing lanes, but he is not.

Imagine the guy coming from left sees your hazards, mistakes them for a genuine indicator (as he cannot see the lights on the right side) and supposes you want to turn left. He assumes the intersection is clear and hits the gas...

I made it a habit flashing high beams once or twice if cars are waiting at an intersection as well as driving with lights on also at daytime outside of cities. Not sure if it helps, but it doesn't cost me anything either...

Imagine the guy coming from left sees your hazards, mistakes them for a genuine indicator (as he cannot see the lights on the right side) and supposes you want to turn left. He assumes the intersection is clear and hits the gas...

I made it a habit flashing high beams once or twice if cars are waiting at an intersection as well as driving with lights on also at daytime outside of cities. Not sure if it helps, but it doesn't cost me anything either...

DON'T DO IT !!!!!

At intersections it is first come, first served, or survival of the most agressive - just keep moving and everyone else will eventually stop - works for me

:D:o

DON'T DO IT !!!!!

At intersections it is first come, first served, or survival of the most agressive - just keep moving and everyone else will eventually stop - works for me

...you refer to the hazards or the high beams? I consider the high beams as added aggressiveness, much needed if you drive a Honda Jazz... :D

DON'T DO IT !!!!!

...you refer to the hazards or the high beams? I consider the high beams as added aggressiveness, much needed if you drive a Honda Jazz... :D

Any form of additional "illumination" to tell other that you are driving straight is pointless - we might as well have hazards, high beams, horn etc going all of the time driving on a road with no intersections - if someone can't see a large piece of shiny metal on rubber round things, then they should not be one the road (includes pedestrians too !!!) :D:D

I read that any driving with hazard lights on is illegal now - they are only for emergency stops.

Driving through intersections with lights on is plain stupid - you confuse everyone as to your intentions. Only a guy behind you sees that these are hazards lights, people behind him usually see only one light and think that you are going to turn.

People on the left side of the intersection think you are going left, people on the right think you are going right, people approaching from the opposite site think you are going to their left (your right) until you become the first car in the line and they see that you are probably going straight. What if they already going across the intersection thinking that you are not interfering with them?

Same in the rain when many drivers turn the hazard lights on - you see a car ahead of you and you see a light falshing - he must be changing lanes, but he is not.

Hear hear!

It's the most ridiculous thing people can do as the people around you have no idea what your intentions are.

Saying that, it's the only time some people around here use their indicators :o

I rode with a group of Thai bikers who had this habit of riding with the Hazards on.

What made things worse was that they were forever overtaking on the left or the right, dropping back behind me, overtaking, dropping back, overtaking etc.

Imagine what it's like having someone behind you that you can often only catch a glimpse of in the mirror. Sometimes you only see the one indicator and don't know if he's still got his Hazards on or is about to overtake me.

Q: If I thought someone behind me was going to overtake me on the right, because I could only see his right indicator, then what would happen if I pulled over to my left to allow him more room, at the same time as he has planned to pass me on my left? :D

A: Accident. :o

I rode with a group of Thai bikers who had this habit of riding with the Hazards on.

What made things worse was that they were forever overtaking on the left or the right, dropping back behind me, overtaking, dropping back, overtaking etc.

Imagine what it's like having someone behind you that you can often only catch a glimpse of in the mirror. Sometimes you only see the one indicator and don't know if he's still got his Hazards on or is about to overtake me.

Q: If I thought someone behind me was going to overtake me on the right, because I could only see his right indicator, then what would happen if I pulled over to my left to allow him more room, at the same time as he has planned to pass me on my left? :D

A: Accident. :o

I am amazed that I still am surprised when someone passes me on the right even though I have my indicator showing I will be turning any second. :D:D

Actually, many traffic oddities still surprise me. :D

DON'T DO IT !!!!!

I usually only do it in the village as we used to have traffic lights buy they were taken down several weeks ago. I also slow down to around 25 km/h and look all around before I go straight across.

Today a guy came straight acroos the junction fairly quickly without looking and took out a motorcyclist who was doing the same thing I think. I got there after it happened while the police were still there sorting out the wreckage.

I am not sure in Thai law who should give way at the intersection anyway.

Any form of additional "illumination" to tell other that you are driving straight is pointless - we might as well have hazards, high beams, horn etc going all of the time driving on a road with no intersections - if someone can't see a large piece of shiny metal on rubber round things, then they should not be one the road (includes pedestrians too !!!) :D:D

Biggest problem is though that the occupants of the large piece of shiny metal on round rubber things seem to regard pedestrians as some sort of mobile chicane.

You try crossing Asoke in the rush hour, even at a pedestrian crossing ( the new ones even have lights to stop the traffic!!!!) and you will get some w*nker on a bike or in a car completely ignoring the red light, and the occupants of the crossing.

I'm thinking of investing in a baseball bat, having STOP carved on it in reverse, and then using it to persuade motorcyclists to halt at crossings. If it connects correctly they will see the word "STOP" embossed on their forehead every time they look in the mirror !!!! :D:o:D

But of course at the end of the day this is the real qestion & answer with regard to 4 way intersections:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q. Who has the right of way when four cars approach a four-way stop at the same time?

A. The pick up truck with the gun rack and the bumper sticker saying, "Guns don't kill people. I do."

:o:D