SamKong

I've not regulary tuned into a radio station since moving to Thailand ten years ago but 89.5 has got my attention for both good and bad reasons.

The afternoon DJs are the station's bread and butter IMHO. I think the early afternoons are with a gent called Steve, while the late afternoons are hosted by Phuket's on-again-off-again, Jason Wilder. Both seem at ease on the mic and are refreshinly free from stumbling over their words--something many other Phuket-based DJs seem to have issues with. I can see how Jason's zany antics might put a few listeners off, but he's got character and seems born for the radio. Like him or not, the man's got talent. Steve's style is different, more relaxed and would probably be a fantastic morning show guy.

The weekend shows with the two dudes (Baba Fats and someone else) are where I think the station falters a bit. They try way too hard to be amusing and fail miserably. Also, the new bits where the newspaper's editors in the studio are now blatant promos for the paper. I liked it better when Jason was simply bantering on about the news rather than listening to the ediitor's bang on about how great the paper is. Last week, one editor suggested that there's so much content, he likens it to a magazine that can be read throughout the week. Gimme a break. Most folks could read it cover to back cover in 30 mins tops.

Is anyone else tuning in on their radio or internet? What do you think? Yey or ney?

• 7 months later...

good to see someone else is interested in radio on the island. i am new here but love my radio and enjoying 89.5. There have been some changes since your review SamKong but I think they are getting better each week. It seems like they have their antenna problems sorted out. there was a month when it was good and bad and on and off. but all seems fantastic now in most places. I really identify with their breakfast team but they might be a bit on the young side for some of the expats here. the guy who does the lunchtime program is awful but the drive guy Jason is a hoot and I agree he is born for radio. they just have music at night, nothing special. the weekend people seem to be changing all the time but the Spin is a certainly differnet from anything else on the station. most people I speak to listen to the radio on the weekend so I don't know why they don't have some of the main people on then instead of during the week. Anyone else got any thoughts? Kelly

Edited by KelMorg

I tune in to breakfast on occasion. Aussie guy is bit much sometimes but the two together works quite well. I'd like to hear more island news, perhaps get some guests in to give their opinions on common topics. Eg Infrastructure, economy etc.

Sound quality usually forces me to switch off at the monument, heading North.

Hard to get reception at my house in Patong, so I normally use 91.5. My car is another story and I have my radio set to 89.5 most of the time. Going north, back to 91.5 as reception is fairly good all the way to the airport. I also enjoy the hourly BBC news updates on 91.5.

Content on 89.5 is fine IMO. I do get a bit bored with all the cross advertising with the other group companies (Phuket News, Events Thailand, some tourist TV channel, Ticketmaster, etc...). I guess they need to get more paid advertising.

I tune in to breakfast on occasion. Aussie guy is bit much sometimes but the two together works quite well. I'd like to hear more island news, perhaps get some guests in to give their opinions on common topics. Eg Infrastructure, economy etc.

Sound quality usually forces me to switch off at the monument, heading North.

A radio station, besides providing entertainment should also provide a service to its listeners, e.g. traffic conditions, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I do get a bit bored with all the cross advertising with the other group companies (Phuket News, Events Thailand, some tourist TV channel, Ticketmaster, etc...). I guess they need to get more paid advertising.

Yes, PLEASE get rid of all that cross promotion. It's getting really boring. I find myself tuning over as soon as one of the in house ads start, heard them over and over for months. I think you're right. Not enough advertisers although they sound like they're trying harder than the other music stations. They are trying to do local news but it's patchy. The girl during the week obviously has some news training. At least they are giving it a go and not replaying the BBC. Are there any ratings for the stations in Phuket? Who's listening to what?