Three Killed Falling From Thailand's Highest Building During Billboard Installation

Lite Beer

No full body harness? My company requires full fall protection above 6 feet, much less 66 floors.

Tragic story. It should be law to wear a harness as it is in places like Australia.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No full body harness? My company requires full fall protection above 6 feet, much less 66 floors.

Tragic story. It should be law to wear a harness as it is in places like Australia.

What a lot of people aren't seeing is that the laws and rules are most likely there. Otherwise these companies wouldn't get their licences. I would also be surprised if the workers were not course qualified to do high work; not sure what the stipulations are for advertising companies, but pretty sure it is a requirement.

Where the problem comes is enforcing the rules and regulations inside the company.

And now they are proposing a THB600 fine for breaking the regs. ...

Chill.... the 600 baht fine was something made up by a TV'er in post #9 and NOT from the government.

Yes I admit that I misread the post.....

Remember when people in the UK used to ride motorbikes without helmets and drive cars without wearing seat belts? Not so long ago. Many people don't want to take safety precautions and that is their choice.

For those saying that Thai people think life is cheap, just take a look at the majority of Americans - grossly overweight and don't give a s**t about their health. Most die of heart disease or cancer. But they don't care because they think life is cheap. Heading the same way in UK. Take a look at your own countries and your own personal standards before criticizing others.No point wearing a safety harness and then eating yourself to death.

In Mai-Pen-Rai-Land it is normal that safety is only a 6-letter word - nothing more nothing less. I can always see the workers to wear slippers (no safety shoes), no gloves, no boiler suits, no helmits. Then ladders are never secured. Starnge looking caffold are broken - not secured for sure. No safety surveyor looking after workers...This is what you will get. Look to the Norther Europe to see and LEARN what safety is!

Sad thing that will unfortunately happen many times in the future too, since no strong punnishment to the companies ever given. Labor force is cheap there so who cares...

I work with people every day here who insist on doing things the more dangerous way, even if it is just as easy to be safe. It is almost like they have something to prove. I would say it does prove something but it isn't the effect they are going for.

Interestingly I had the same problem growing up in Canada; my dad has the same attitude and a total lack of self preservation, I have no idea how he is still alive. He can still scare the crap out of me with his antics and he is 75. His old employees can talk for hours about the stupid things they barely survived. In his day the workplace had the same standards as Thailand does today.

• Like 1

The work at height regulations in UK were changed so the decision of am I to high was taken away. Now as soon as you feet are not on the ground consider you are working at height & take the appropriate precautions.

The option these people chose not to wear & not to check their equipment is common in many countries around the world. All because of the human factor & belief ‘’it will never happen to me’’ on this occasion as with many other industrial accidents it did. All because the workers did not follow procedures. Yes this also happens in the UK. follow the procedures assess your risks, mitigate against them put measures in place to prevent them happening, And the job should turn out fine & we all go home to our loved ones & cash in the pocket. The reason we all do it. Common sense costs nothing the choice is yours.

Out thoughts & prayers are with there families at this very difficult time.

Senior HSE Advisor,

Spot on.. I think you said it all! RIP to the deceased and deepest wishes to the families...

"We had never thought an accident like this would happen because I have done this work so many times before," Plernjit said, admitting he did notice a crack when he got in.

Well TIT , so he noticed a crack , nothing to worry about . After all , maintenance is not needed until something falls apart......

Edited by balo

I work with people every day here who insist on doing things the more dangerous way, even if it is just as easy to be safe. It is almost like they have something to prove. I would say it does prove something but it isn't the effect they are going for.

Interestingly I had the same problem growing up in Canada; my dad has the same attitude and a total lack of self preservation, I have no idea how he is still alive. He can still scare the crap out of me with his antics and he is 75. His old employees can talk for hours about the stupid things they barely survived. In his day the workplace had the same standards as Thailand does today.

sounds like he is one of the rare people who know the extent of their abilities.

Having worked construction in Canada from 1971 until 1998 I saw a lot of improvement in their safety precautions. My oldest is in the same business and they now have got all the proper precautions in place and continued on to the ridicules.

God it brought me to my senses last night when I saw the TV coverage. I , like many on this thread, have experience and training for working at heights but unfortunately working accross Asia and Africa it is sooo difficult to make companies responsible for the safety of their labour force.

How will work EVER progress when everytime a whiteman turns up they scurry off the tower and are driven off to the next site before you even get there..They don't see it as lost time but a game to be played.But will they take the training on offer....??? <deleted> will they!!...Bugger me if I haven't seen barefooted Africans building an 60m tower pulling up sections on fraded rope..As for microwave dishes I shudder to think what happens when I am not there..

When I lived in Isaan ( where most of the untrained casual labour comes from) a very good friend and drinking partner was killed in a construction accident in BKK...No company responsibility, no company compensation..Only a bill for the pick up to bring his body back...

..To him , to those killed yesterday..RIP..your fellow humans failed you as much as the materials did.

What's with all the "R.I.P."s?

It is just as irresponsible and even disrespectful to say "rest in peace" as it is to say "maybe the world is a better place with them no longer here".

It depends on who you care about more? You care about the selfish guys who endangered themselves and people below and around them, OR do you care about the people who care about these selfish guys and the people who, thankfully, were not injured or killed?

I care more about the latter. So, I will add my sentiments.

Perhaps Bangkok is now a safer place without these guys.

Edited by xthAi76s

yeah yeah. The UK 45 years ago was about the same as Thailand now as far as safety is concerned. I can remember standing up on a second story brick wall demolishing the wall with a sledgehammer bit by bit as I was walking backwards. It's a macho thing, I was being sized up by the other guys when they sent me up there... we had no safety helmets, no toe protection... now the UK has gone completely overboard in the wrong direction. I wouldn't want to see the UK health and safety crap anywhere else in the world ,let alone Thailand.

I had just as many problems in Switzerland getting my guys to put on protective masks, not stand under trees that were about to be felled... come on, guys, drop the holier than thou stuff please.

Plenty of expats getting electrocuted because they can't be bothered to get their systems earthed, having sex without protection..

• Like 1