Commerce Ministry Calls For Dumping Of Thai Democrat Spokesman

PRICE RISE CLAIMS

Commerce calls for dumping of Democrat spokesman

The Nation

30181462-01_big.jpg

Yanyong

BANGKOK: -- Yanyong Phuangrach, permanent secretary of the Commerce Ministry, yesterday demanded that the Democrat Party dump Chavanond Intarakomalyasut as its spokesman over his claims that consumer product prices were rising all over.

"I'm ready to gamble my post, although his bet is lower as he's not an MP. I dare him to reveal if he has any information that the Commerce Ministry fabricated (price) data or skewed them in favour of the political powers. Please show or declare it to the public," he said.

"In the past, under the Democrat government, the Commerce Ministry was the mechanism to help solve product price problems including the palm oil shortage or the (implementation of the idea of) selling eggs by weight," he said after disparaging Chavanond's looks and personality.

Chavanond was unfair in insisting that all goods are expensive everywhere, he said.

In fact, some are dearer but some are not. For example, chicken egg and pork prices are lower than last April, but Chavanond did not mention that. Meanwhile, cowpeas are selling for Bt80 per kilogram this month but Chavanond compared them with last April's record.

"I dare the Democrat Party to clarify with real facts what kinds of goods are more expensive than last April. The prime minister has tried to explain that the cost of raw materials started to go up in the middle of last year. Together with rising energy prices, restaurants then adjusted their prices. And in practice, the prices of cooked food do not move up in trifling steps like Bt1 or B2, but usually Bt5 or Bt10," he said.

"Prices are not going down as retailers are not confident that the costs of most raw materials will decline. The Commerce Ministry is trying to prepare more measures to regulate that, such as by selling 30,000 tonnes of the government's packed rice to food vendors at a low price and presenting price information for the government to digest and solve the cost of living problems," he said.

High food prices can affect inflation, but as long as inflation is at the level of 3-4 per cent, it is suitable considering the growth of gross domestic product at 6.5-7 per cent. Thailand's inflation is considered low compared with other countries in Asean.

The commerce minister will host a meeting of ministries' administrators, chaired by Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, at which price problems might be discussed, he added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-05-08

One wonders who is pushing his buttons in his attempt to drive another nail into the coffin of free speech and democracy ?

Looking at the comments made by one person concerning rising prices and the cabinet I don't think we have to look too far from home to see who the puppeteer MK .2. is.

• Like 2

"I dare the Democrat Party to clarify with real facts what kinds of goods are more expensive than last April."

Rice, pork, chicken, eggs & long green beans, just to get the ball rolling.

Shall I continue or would you like a pen and paper for your resignation letter sir?

• Like 1

The government keeps saying such and such a item has not changed.

They refuse to look at the over all picture to gert the same items you bought last year for survival on a weekly bases for 1,000 baht cost you about 1,100 baht today.

Thye truth is they are clueless first it is a misconception then it is a seasonal adjusted price then it is actually going down,

Just go's to show how ill informed a government can be when it is being run by a criminal on the run out side the country.

• Like 2

Would it be too hard for any of these bloody reporters to actually do some research and find out the commerce ministry's data?

yes, if its not on page 1 of a google search or has a wiki page its beyond them. the press hear are hopeless.

I love this

"Prices are not going down as retailers are not confident that the costs of most raw materials will decline."

really?

Another official in denial; this time, a civil servant. Although, seemingly, a very uncivil servant, if he really finds it necessary to support his assertions with slurs. Let's be frank: as oil paintings go, Yanyong wouldn't look out of place in a wildlife portrait.

Yanyong denies the data is manipulated, but it is well known that governments and agencies everywhere massage data for their own devious ends. Thailand would be the last country to be an exception to that rule.

He said Chavanond was unfair in insisting that all goods are expensive everywhere, but it is much more likely that Chavanond rightly claimed that prices are up across the board; hence, the core price index is up.

Quote: “The prime minister has tried to explain that the cost of raw materials started to go up in the middle of last year.” 'Tried' is the operative word, as the PM has proved innumerable times that she cannot explain anything. Waffling doesn't count as an explanation, and her [mis]perceptions are, unfortunately, a function of seeing life myopically, through rose tinted spectacles.

Quote: “High food prices can affect inflation …” Well, that's a revelation. “… but as long as inflation is at the level of 3-4 per cent …” Assuming negligible impact from populist policies. “… considering the growth of gross domestic product at 6.5-7 per cent.” The Finance Ministry were forecasting 5.5% in March, and concensus forecasts so far predict 4-6% for 2012 – flood issues notwithstanding.

And a nice touch: while the consumer has to swallow the cost-of-living increases, in particular, food prices, the Commerce Ministry will be “… presenting price information for the government to digest …”

• Like 1

The Commerce Ministry is trying to prepare more measures to regulate that, such as by selling 30,000 tonnes of the government's packed rice to food vendors at a low price and presenting price information for the government to digest and solve the cost of living problems," he said.

So now they will sell rice already paid for by the tax payer at a loss to food vendors to decrease the cost of living expenses. Just to manipulate the inflation figures, robbing Peter to pay Paul comes to mind.

• Like 1

"all goods are expensive everywhere" Chavanond

Most goods are, but not all. Last Sunday I just bought 3 pairs of school sneaker at 79 Baht per pair at Tesco. I have never bought any sneaker below 100 baht before in my life.

Pricing surveys are done by sampling, and sampling because it is not a census has some errors. I'm actually surprised that inflation isn't higher...the massive flooding last year did untold damage to farms and businesses and one would have thought that supply and demand would have driven the prices up much more than this. I do feel that businesses are 'gaming' the system...example: Leo beer raised its prices dramatically during the flood...from 480/case to 600 baht/case...result Tesco, 7/11 and other stores refused to carry the stuff. Chang mounted a major campaign to promote Chang Export, and the shelves were stuffed with the stuff. Leo (or the wholesalers) had to back down and reduce prices to pre-flood prices to get back on the shelves. My local bar raised the price from 60 to 65 baht/bottle, but the proce didn't come down when Leo reduced the price.

"all goods are expensive everywhere" Chavanond

Most goods are, but not all. Last Sunday I just bought 3 pairs of school sneaker at 79 Baht per pair at Tesco. I have never bought any sneaker below 100 baht before in my life.

Thats just a Tesco Lotus loss leader.. be cheap on school stuff and the customer may buy other things at that store.

You also have to consider the quality of 100 baht sneakers as compared to 79 baht sneakers. The 79 baht sneakers could have been of poorer quality and in essence costing more for what you get..