Mushroom Farming

where are you getting the spourse from,when i started looking at this was about 10bht each and the more you got the cheaper it was i found on average you get a growth from each spoure every 10 days

Just depends what mushrooms you grow, we grow oyster mushrooms and they come out every 2/3 days, we have 3000 bottles/spourse, and we average around 25ks/30ks a day, we sell from a high of 70 bt to a low of 45 bt a kilo.

We buy for 7 bt each from a guy near mancha kiri, by all reports he makes the best bottles, so anyone want his number pm me.

Was told that if you buy a bottle for 7 bt you wil get a return of between 20 bt and 45 bt for each bottle, any truth in these fugures?.

Happy farming. nev.

Well the weather is finally cooling off and our production is increasing. Based on the experence we have had this year. We will double our size next year. Just doesn't seem to be any problem in selling what we have.

How is everybody doing these days?

Please anyone in the south have any contacts where to get spores etc please.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Mate where i get from they are 7baht plus if you want delivered you pay half baht extra,we got another 1000 yesterday, he is in khonkaen, i doubt he would travel down south to deliver, he can fit 1000 a time on his truck so only 500 baht extra for his fuel.

I hear there are a lot of mushroom farms around bkk maybe do a search on google and find nearest to you and see if they deliver.

If not ask at your local market who supply mushrooms and ask where they buy there spores from.

Also there is http://www.facebook.com/pages/%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%AB%E0%B9%87%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%A3-Udon-Mushroom-Farm/468946863123578

They sell 20 spores for 120 baht they come bagged in plastic, you could get couried to you in small batches maybe 200 at a time and build up your stock.

Well the weather is finally cooling off and our production is increasing. Based on the experence we have had this year. We will double our size next year. Just doesn't seem to be any problem in selling what we have.

How is everybody doing these days?

Hi Ray how many spores you have now mate? we have 3000 and our return is a top of 25ks and a low of 5ks, we have a bore pump so endless supply of water, heard a lot of other growers are suffering around khonkaen due to lack of water(having to rely on town water)

We have just bought 1000 more to increase our ks, as we have no problem selling too, have one buyer at the market gives us 60baht a kilo and around the village sell for 70 baht.

• Like 1

We have 4,500 Nong Faa bags, that are producing now. We also have 2,000 Kor Khao they like the really hot weather so not much going on with them. We sell at 45 baht for Nong Faa and 70 for Kor Khao.

The next step in another house for Kor Khao and take them to 4,000 for the hot season.

No problem with water we also have a fish pond located next to the houses so we pump from the pond

Edited by ray23

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All, some pictures from opening day of the Korat Ag Show.

See Ag shows in pinned topics for show info.

The mushroom display is inside the first 2 pics. A verity poster and

the Prof's contact info in the 4th pic.

The rest is mushroom pics.

rice555

post-37242-0-68841100-1357849937_thumb.j

post-37242-0-40464300-1357849975_thumb.j

post-37242-0-18711600-1357850003_thumb.j

post-37242-0-43521000-1357850037_thumb.j

post-37242-0-89369500-1357850062_thumb.j

post-37242-0-57284400-1357850091_thumb.j

post-37242-0-43816900-1357850119_thumb.j

post-37242-0-72746100-1357850140_thumb.j

post-37242-0-26708400-1357850167_thumb.j

post-37242-0-69277600-1357850191_thumb.j

post-37242-0-94256300-1357850216_thumb.j

post-37242-0-27368300-1357850245_thumb.j

post-37242-0-57836100-1357850275_thumb.j

• Like 2

Hello All, ray23, you still have 2 days to catch the show.

Pic #805 shows a picture of him with e-mail address,

website url and phone # to his dept. Don't know if he

speaks English.

rice555

The wife is in school for the next two day I will try his e-mail

Thanks

To do or not to do that is the question?

We have 4,500 Nong Faa, our production has dropped down to one kilo a day. The majority were purchased in January. I know they are to wet adn we have been cutting back on watering. Last year we ended up cutting the fronts out of the packets and geting them to dry out, Our production picked up then.

I would replace a couple of thosand right now, I have the room for it. But, this weather is really throwing me.

Normally I would think the weather would hold good enough to contimue into March. But, this has been a crazy year.

We have made a good profit on these already.

Any idea's, comments suggetions?

If you had made a good profit already...so, there is nothing to lose anymore, right?

In finance, there is a saying: if in doubt, cut half the position....and i think it is just the appropriate advice to you right here :)

why not cut half, as a trial now, and see the result...if positive, go for the whole batch, if not, you not messed up all. your production got so low, that there is not much risk to lose (1kg a day) and potentially more to gain, i think.

note: i am nothing a pro, we have mushroom only for own use rigth now.

If you had made a good profit already...so, there is nothing to lose anymore, right?

In finance, there is a saying: if in doubt, cut half the position....and i think it is just the appropriate advice to you right here smile.png

why not cut half, as a trial now, and see the result...if positive, go for the whole batch, if not, you not messed up all. your production got so low, that there is not much risk to lose (1kg a day) and potentially more to gain, i think.

note: i am nothing a pro, we have mushroom only for own use rigth now.

Well it worked last time. I would replace them only need about 30 days to cover costs. But, with the way the weather has been, that would be a real crap shoot. As anorm replacing would be the way to go and add to the bottom line. We actually put them in about this time. We even production during the wet season not much. But, some.

A lot of people prefer the Nong Faa, more then likely because they are less expensive.

I have to say it is one heck of a good byiness, especially for those guys with the connections to Bangkok. Here we are still selling within three Klms of the farm. I doubt we can do much moare then double our size. Got lots of room. But, selling them is the key.. I only have one year experience myself, so I don't want to ge in over my head. Lots to still learn. I will contact the guy from the Korat ag show.

Well thanks to rice555 we made contact with the professor in Korat. Our production has really fallen off, one to two kilos day that's not much from 4500 plants.

He said that we are not the only ones having problems with Nong Faa. He said to cut out the circle at the end of package, so I was close. But, not right.

Man having contacts to ask questions of means a lot. So I have about 4,500 little holes to cut out

Thanks Rice555

Edited by ray23

Well thanks to rice555 we made contact with the professor in Korat. Our production has really fallen off, one to two kilos day that's not much from 4500 plants.

He said that we are not the only ones having problems with Nong Faa. He said to cut out the circle at the end of package, so I was close. But, not right.

Man having contacts to ask questions of means a lot. So I have about 4,500 little holes to cut out

Thanks Rice555

So you are saying Ray cut out the back of the spore?

On some we have cut the fronts off to dry out, we have 4000 oyster mushroom spores and gettingaround 7ks a day,we have had a high of 38kilos to a low of 1kilo.

We use a gurney on the fine spray setting and also water the floor, we have concrete floor.

We have Nong Fa, what we did was cut the front of the package where the round plastic device is. We hit 15 kilos today from an average of two, We haven't done all the plants, doing them is stages,. There are more muchrooms. But, they are smaller.

We have stopped using the spray and just do the dirt twice a day

I have no idea if it will work with yuor variety or not.

We have Nong Fa, what we did was cut the front of the package where the round plastic device is. We hit 15 kilos today from an average of two, We haven't done all the plants, doing them is stages,. There are more muchrooms. But, they are smaller.

We have stopped using the spray and just do the dirt twice a day

I have no idea if it will work with yuor variety or not.

The plastic caps on the front we take off after one or two grows and spread out the plastic bag for more room to grow, if water gets in we cut back the bags a bit to dry out, this morning had 9ks, sold market at 60bt a kilo.

We water 4 times a day do the whole room and water the shade cloth ceiling and clean the concrete floor and leave some water there.

After taking out make sure spore is cleaned out for the next growth.

We have another 2000 on order, we chose this type of mushroom as was told easiest to grow and sell, we have no problem selling have a few contacts at different markets.

nev

We were trying to add some Nong Faa. Thai's really like them. We managed to have some all throuhg last summer along with Kon Khao. I think I mistated soewmthing we get 50 baht a kilo locally.

Our supplier is booked through March right now, we may or may not get additional ones, before then.

How often do you rotate plants?

Or are you just adding to existing ones?

Were in Udon, I assume the climate is about the same, I noticed Bangkok is much hotter then we are now.

We were trying to add some Nong Faa. Thai's really like them. We managed to have some all throuhg last summer along with Kon Khao. I think I mistated soewmthing we get 50 baht a kilo locally.

Our supplier is booked through March right now, we may or may not get additional ones, before then.

Were in Udon, I assume the climate is about the same, I noticed Bangkok is much hotter then we are now.

We are in khonkaen, we have only had our pods for just over 2 months now, i think they last around 5/6 months or so i am told.

We get ours from a guy at mancha kiri. pay 7 baht each, we are thinking of trying udon mushroom farm they sell for 6 baht so on 3000 pods we will save 3000baht.

We are in khonkaen, we have only had our pods for just over 2 months now, i think they last around 5/6 months or so i am told.

We get ours from a guy at mancha kiri. pay 7 baht each, we are thinking of trying udon mushroom farm they sell for 6 baht so on 3000 pods we will save 3000baht.

we are a further 70kms away from KKC...and also went to Udon as the 6thb/bag is the cheapest overall, even if i factor the fuel in.

For start only 1300 bags, part as that was the most my pickup could manage fully loaded.

I was told they deliver too, if you looking for 300 bags, probably the cost would be an extra 50-70satang...

i think they quoted me aboout 2500thb for delivery, for a max 3500 bags...and i am further away.

yet no idea on the production number, but soon hope to give update on that too.

the plan is to sell locally, by wife.

• Like 1

Some places you can get them for 6 baht in Udon, we have tried three different places, first 7.5 baht second 6.5. Took us some time to find the 6 baht ones. He is the one with the back log at the moment. The other advantage is if yuo have them delivered they will place them for you.

Five or six months sounds about right to me, based on what we did last year.

Disposal remove the bags and let the soil dry out, then you can burn them leaves a very fine ash. You can burn the plastic bags as well, But the plastic rings just leave a mess, So we sit those aside and the guy can reuse them,

Are you going to Kon Kao in the heat, they really like it and Nong Faa doesn't. we will have some Nong Faa during that time. But, more of the Kon Kao.

• 2 weeks later...

we have the Nang Rong? mushrooms producing now about 1 week....

so far very satisfied about it.

my question: how long usually takes for you to breakeven with Nang Rong/Nang Fa mushroom?

we got 1000 of these Nong Rongs, the best day was just bit shy of 10kg, and we are so far good at unloading it in the near by villages by direct selling of my wife and son, as well today taking a try on the 10km away small(ish) town, in the market.

selling for reseller 60thb/kg, and direct/market for 70kg, so, assume that helps to boost the bottom line.

as long as market only asks for 5-10baht for the table to use, i think we will try to avoid resellers as long as we have manageable quantity ( so far everyday was sold off, no execption, so, what we sell is always most fresh, picked just prior).

the breakeven question is, because we think to expand in about 2 months time a bit, maybe to 3000 bags, but i like to see if this is unusually good production right now due weather, or a general number.

the aim is to get about 100% roi in the end, but breakeven time is as critical as total return.

if some of you would be kind to share these 2 numbers of yours (in avarage terms)....breakeven time + return on investment %.

thanks in advance!

• Like 1

About three months, usiong my spead sheet. The return is roughly 45%. But the are still producing so hard to call on that. We aer reinvesting and adding 3,000 Non Faa and 1,000 Kon Kao, we just biult our third house and more then likley will build a fourth in the next few months for Kon Kao.

Actually not looking for profit in the first year, using that to expand. This is where it can get chancy, don't want to expand beyond our market. We sold all we had daily from the existing 4500 plants.

So we may be right we may be wrong.

thank you Ray23!

we also plan on expansion, the next obvious step will be about 3500 bags, as that is about they can deliver (2500b delivery cost, since we are about 200km away)...but same time also to keep the delivery cost/bad lower, thus the cost of a bag bellow 7thb...vs locally the cheapest is around 8thb+delivery.

in a sense we are reinvesting the takes, however in reality i am forefronting the costs, and thinking to recap from profits.

as i said, yet there is no difficulty to sell, however it is also the off season for wild mushrooms for the villagers...

we plan the expansion about 1-1.5 month from now, or 2 months into producing this current lot....so, hope to pass breakeven on this by then. keeping daily record to clear picture about financials. however, some comparison is always welcome to see if we are on the right track.

thanks again!

We took delivery over the past two days, 3,000 Nong Faa, 2,000 Kon Kao.

We used the dealer from Sukonakorn, eight baht more expensive. But, that being said we beleive we got better productopn from his plants. About to find out. We current ly have 3,500 Ning Faa But, they aer gettign tired.

We will build two more houses in the near future. Guving us a total of five. Should be able to house 10,000 bags.

Out supplier told us if we could consistently 50 kilos day He will buy them at 50 baht a kilo.

Now here is the question, how many plants do you need to produce 50 kilos or more per day?

We have plenty of room so it might be doable.

The buyer will come to or location so we don't need to transport them

Edited by ray23