Mushroom Farming

I'm looking at starting a 8m x 4m shed in the near future. The brother inlaw said that theirs a guy in nakon selling bags for 4 baht! This seems really cheep after reading your posts.

We have a local guy and he wants 8. I'm back in the uk and bought the wife 30 to try out. She said she is bored of eating mushrooms already haha..

Do ou thinks that these 4 baht bags will be poor quality?

another question how do you pick the mushrooms do you fit them or pull them out of the plastic rings?!

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

As of our experience, you should take out the rings the moment you put the bottles inside the house. This gives the mushroom more space for growing.

Well we had our best day yet 43 Kilos, change in the weather helped a lot. On Nong Faa we just pull the plugging material, then as they soak in to much water we cut the bags open.

On Kon Kao you cut the bags open immediatley.

Nong Faa is picked Kon Kao yuo cut.

We are finding the prices are going up for the bags. We just had minimum wage change and the producers costs went up as well. Currently buying at 7.5 baht a bag. Fifth house is now done. We have 5,00o working and anothre 5,000 waiitng to start. May just make the 50 kilos a day yet. We had no problem selling them and we are still within in our three Klm. range

Edited by ray23

Well we had our best day yet 43 Kilos, change in the weather helped a lot. On Nong Faa we just pull the plugging material, then as they soak in to much water we cut the bags open.

We are finding the prices are going up for the bags. We just had minimum wage change and the producers costs went up as well. Currently buying at 7.5 baht a bag. Fifth house is now done. We have 5,00o working and anothre 5,000 waiitng to start. May just make the 50 kilos a day yet. We had no problem selling them and we are still within in our three Klm. range

Our biggest cost is the transport for the sawdust from South to Khao Yai. We pay for one fully loaded truck about 23-24000 baht.

Our biggest cost is the transport for the sawdust from South to Khao Yai. We pay for one fully loaded truck about 23-24000 baht.

So you are making your own bags, that seemed to me a lot of work and not much room for error am I right?

Have you started a new topic by mistake, it appears that you may be replying to another thread?

And 3 topics started with the same post. Maybe you could ask a mod to tidy it up.

Yes and no, the other thread was about/ The mushroom cpversatopn took is into an off topic area, so I started this thread. People who are doing fish farms probably care very little about mushrooms

You can try the food science department at Burapha university. They have a lot of knowledge regarding anything food!

So you are making your own bags, that seemed to me a lot of work and not much room for error am I right?

Yes we are making our own bottles, it depends on which kind we are making, but you have to count about 85-90 percent of the bottles we make that are perfect. The other 10-15 percent are less quality, but still can be used. Those bottles that are less quality we keep for ourselves, we garantee our customers to have always perfect bottles.

What do yuo think your cost is per bottle minus labor?

About 3-4 baht depends on how many we can make in a day, because like you said, lot's of work. If we mainly making bottles, start from 7 am untill 4 pm , we can make 1500 bottles a day. If we have some other jobs to be done, we make about 850 bottles a day.

chillem, on 10 Mar 2013 - 21:07, said:

ray23, on 10 Mar 2013 - 11:20, said:

About 3-4 baht depends on how many we can make in a day, because like you said, lot's of work. If we mainly making bottles, start from 7 am untill 4 pm , we can make 1500 bottles a day. If we have some other jobs to be done, we make about 850 bottles a day.

Thats about what I heard as well. With my back can't put in those kind of times in. By the time you hired labor only dealing with 10,000 I think I better stick to what I'm doing. Just an aside our supplier just delivered 20,000 to Lao. Edited by ray23

The reason I ask is I want to try to increase the "natural" yield of the straw mushrooms we get every year on straw bales, plus compound up some of my compost in grow in beds. An interesting article on beds and compost can be found (hopefully) at the attached link:

Farming & Agriculture Six Step to Mushroom Farming.htm

or if it will direct link as an address:

http://pakagri.blogspot.com/2012/01/six-step-to-mushroom-farming.html

Edited by IsaanAussie

chillem, on 10 Mar 2013 - 21:07, said:

ray23, on 10 Mar 2013 - 11:20, said:

Thats about what I heard as well. With my back can't put in those kind of times in. By the time you hired labor only dealing with 10,000 I think I better stick to what I'm doing. Just an aside our supplier just delivered 20,000 to Lao.

Hi Ray,

I'm in Lao and am thinking of setting up something similar to yours for the wife.

Not finding it easy to source over here, so would be very keen to get in touch with your supplier.

Also, I'm planning a trip to Udon soon, would it be too cheeky to ask if I could visit & see your set up?

p.s. if you're the same Ray I'm thinking about, we've met at a couple of bike rallies a few years ago!

Cheers in advance,

JC

Will appreciate that Ray. I've got some backyard aquaponics on the go which is certainly interesting, but am quite a way off thinking about that in commercial terms. If the wife could start earning a little money from a mushroom venture that would be great. There are 5 village talats within 3k of us, and the ladies who sell mushrooms all claim not to be able to get enough for the demand, so it could well be worthwhile.

086-853-7983

\

hey are in Nong Bua Lampho here they are 7.5 baht here in Udon. Not sure what they would be there. Nor do I know if there is a minimum order for going there.

That is how we got started I beleive with one Thousand forst tiem didn't even come close to meeting demand.

With the heat I would not even bother with. Nong Faa right now. October Novemeber would be good times for them. We sale hem for 50 Baht A kilo to indviduals, Talot 45 baht, if the buy daily. Another good soruce to sale to is to small restuarants

Khon Kao will be productive in this heat. The cost is the same. The sale for 70 baht a kilo. They are more labor intensive. We cut them twice a day and they need to a lot of water.

I have no idea what pricing would be there. There are two times a year that you might have some down time. When the wild ones comes in and when farmers can do the straw type

I believe there are photos here on the sit up of houses they donl't need to be fancy. For the Khon Lao they like it hot so we use the back mesh and then wrap them houses with clear plastic. Really the only reason to put the plastic on the outside is so you can use them for Non Faa when it cools off. You just drop the plastic down and then the house will cool off.

Well good luck don't think ther is much more that I can add. Feel free to ask.

Hi Ray,

I am from Vietnam. I would like to buy some Straw mushroom Spores from Thailand. please help me to get e-mail address, tel.no of supplier who can speak English.

Buy mushroom spores ???

Do you mean mushroom spore syringe ???

Why don't you make youre own spore prints ???

http://www.fao.org/docrep/004/ab497e/ab497e07.htm#bm7.7

http://www.fungifun.org/mushworld/Oyster-Mushroom-Cultivation/

http://www.fungifun.org/mushworld/Shiitake-Mushroom-Cultivation/

Edited by sjefrie

Hi Ray,

I am from Vietnam. I would like to buy some Straw mushroom Spores from Thailand. please help me to get e-mail address, tel.no of supplier who can speak English.

Buy mushroom spores ???

I leave a few straw bales out in the weather each year and they happen all by themselves. There is a guy that sells spore near me and I want to get some so I can stop having to position the straw in the "right spot". If I can get some I will send you details. If not can always bag a few mushrooms up and dry them out to collect the spore if you can culture them.

To make a spore print, remove the stalk from the mushroom and place the cap gill-side-down on a piece of paper. Cover the mushroom cap with a glass and leave it undisturbed for several hours or overnight. The spores present in the mushroom will drop onto the paper.

0018.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Ray,

Buy mushroom spores ???

I leave a few straw bales out in the weather each year and they happen all by themselves. There is a guy that sells spore near me and I want to get some so I can stop having to position the straw in the "right spot". If I can get some I will send you details. If not can always bag a few mushrooms up and dry them out to collect the spore if you can culture them.

Thanks Sjefrie, for the sites you show here.

Dear IsaanAussie, I do not know exactly in English what I want to buy, maybe should call it is Straw mushroom spawn. (see picture). Anther picture is my products. In Vietnam, we do not make mushroom spawn by ourselves, but buy from anther supplier. I want to try with better spawn, to improve the productivity. Could you please help me to seek for some suppliers in Bangkok? I appreciate your concernpost-176994-0-72033400-1364277644_thumb.post-176994-0-72033400-1364277644_thumb.post-176994-0-40799500-1364277652_thumb.

Hi quynh now i understand you don't want mushroom spores you want some inoculated straw mushroom bags
Maybe this can help you further http://www.nrcmushroom.org/Bull_PSM.pdf
or this website http://www.nzdl.org/gsdlmod?e=d-00000-00---off-0fnl2.2--00-0----0-10-0---0---0direct-10---4-------0-1l--11-en-50---20-about---00-0-1-00-0--4----0-0-11-10-0utfZz-8-10&a=d&cl=CL3.50&d=HASH017ca462cbab47b5c8e2f75a.1

A few video's about tissue culturing