Which Suv

dazk

me and the wife want to change the truck for suv we have toyota vigo 3 year old

i like the look of the toyota fortuner but is the interior a bit more luxurious than the vigo and is the ride any better

other than that any suggestion worth a look at

would like a short list before trudging round dealers

If you're in the market for a pick-up based SUV, then the Chevy Trailblazer is a superior alternative to the Fortuner. Similarly priced, the top model Trailblazer has 6-speed auto, 7 seats, all-round disc brakes and the 2.8 Duramax has more power and torque than the Fortuner 3.0's unit (4-speed auto, rear drum brakes). However, if you've already got a 4-door Vigo and want Toyota, it'd be worth waiting for the 2nd generation Fortuner next year, or whenever it comes.

If you want a new vehicle what someone else suggests might not be to your liking, me thinks IMO, trudging around dealers, having close look and test driving the ones you like is the best way to go, saves any disappointment.smile.png

Edited by Kwasaki

If you want a new vehicle what someone else suggests might not be to your liking, me thinks IMO, trudging around dealers, having close look and test driving the ones you like is the best way to go, saves any disappointment.smile.png

your right but having feedback from someone who owned and driven a car for some time is better than a quick test drive, also if i have short list will help

your right but having feedback from someone who owned and driven a car for some time is better than a quick test drive, also if i have short list will help

I spent a few weeks with the new facelifted Fortuner a short time back and whilst it was generally OK I found the interior very dated.

Also spent a reasonable amount of time in the Mistu PJS 4WD GT and generally liked it, found that it drove OK, but was a bit annoyed by the vibration from the shifter for the transfer case which basically drives into your leg. Then tried the Mistu PJS 2WD GT and found that it drove significantly better than the 4WD, and given that I had just spent 9 years with a 4WD SUV and probably used 4WD only 3 or 4 times I went for the 2WD GT which I have been very happy with. Also very good value when you look at functionality for the price.

If you are waiting for the next gen Fortuner then the Ford Everest replacement should also be available in that timeframe and could be promising.

whats the interior like on the pajero is it a bit less plastic than the toyota and is the ride truck like

I find the ride and handling pretty simlar in both of them. The main difference I find is that the interior of the Fortuner has barely been seriously updated since they came out in 2004 so the PJS is just more modern, I think a nicer (less plasticy) finish, and has some more up to date features. The other main differnce I find is the versatility of the interier including the seating with everything sliding and folding easier than in the Fortuner, which I find helpful as we use all 3 rows of the seating very often. Best to go and have a look for youself to see what you think, but for me at least I find the PJS interior a long way ahead of the Toyota but neither of them are Bentleys!!

The only area which I had some preference for the Fortuner is that I think the engine is a little smoother and quieter (but less powerful), but to honest I don't find this a major issue with the PJS.

Definitely worth considering and having a look, as if you don't need 4WD you can get the 2WD GT for less that 1.2 mill and for that you get all the gadgets and functions that you have to pay 1.4 mill or more for in other models. I found that to be a good deal.

I have not looked at the Trailblazer but from what I can see to get most of the features you need to go at least to the 2.8 4WD LTZ model, so once again in the 1.4 mill range. Personally I am not a great fan of the styling anyway but that is just my opionion.

whats the interior like on the pajero is it a bit less plastic than the toyota and is the ride truck like

I find the ride and handling pretty simlar in both of them. The main difference I find is that the interior of the Fortuner has barely been seriously updated since they came out in 2004 so the PJS is just more modern, I think a nicer (less plasticy) finish, and has some more up to date features. The other main differnce I find is the versatility of the interier including the seating with everything sliding and folding easier than in the Fortuner, which I find helpful as we use all 3 rows of the seating very often. Best to go and have a look for youself to see what you think, but for me at least I find the PJS interior a long way ahead of the Toyota but neither of them are Bentleys!!

The only area which I had some preference for the Fortuner is that I think the engine is a little smoother and quieter (but less powerful), but to honest I don't find this a major issue with the PJS.

Definitely worth considering and having a look, as if you don't need 4WD you can get the 2WD GT for less that 1.2 mill and for that you get all the gadgets and functions that you have to pay 1.4 mill or more for in other models. I found that to be a good deal.

I have not looked at the Trailblazer but from what I can see to get most of the features you need to go at least to the 2.8 4WD LTZ model, so once again in the 1.4 mill range. Personally I am not a great fan of the styling anyway but that is just my opionion.

A Mercedes interior has basically remained the same for yonks, find a good ''not in your face'' set up and stick with it. IF you want flashing thingy's then that stuff is out there but Toyota got it right the first time as did Mercs. smile.png

A Mercedes interior has basically remained the same for yonks, find a good ''not in your face'' set up and stick with it. IF you want flashing thingy's then that stuff is out there but Toyota got it right the first time as did Mercs. smile.png

i find the toyota interior cheap looking it may be functional but just dont look much

In the Mitsu PJS you also get the 5 speed auto rather than 4 speed, electric both front seats, multi-zone air con, and of course 3rd row seats that actually fold away into the floor as with most modern 7 seaters. When comparing 2WD diesel models you also save almost 150,000 baht over the Fortuner so hard to go wrong. The 4WD models are more similarly priced when comparing the two.

Of course have a look at all of them including the Trailblazer and make up your own mind...

leaning more towards the Pajero now from there website the interior looks a lot more modern and seems to have more feature's than the Fortuner, 2wd will be fine also so save some cash

• 2 weeks later...

Dazk

Choosing between the PJS and Fortuner is tough, they are both good vehicles. IMO the Pajero is the better looker both inside and out and has slightly better suspension and steering. But the PJS can occasionally annoy with slow response to accelerate because of Turbo lag and the Auto trans taking time to shift down.

The 2011 facelift improved the Fortuner features. The V model has VSC (stability control) and traction control, Bluetooth, steering wheel audio controls. The Thai version of the PJS GT misses out on these. The Fortuner dash also improved a little but it is still bland and clearly based on the Hilux.

The PJS is better value and the Mitsu dealers were a lot more flexible than the Toyota dealers I tried. Toyota fans usually claim of superior resale value. However both models are based on Pick Up designs from 2005 / 6 which may be replaced 2013 or 2014. As newer models become available, resale value will not be easy to predict. This market segment is getting a lot more interesting with the Trailblazer and a new Everest due soon.

If you really want to get away from the truck like ride the Chev Captiva is probably worth a look if Chev bring the Diesel version back. Good luck with your choice.

almost tempted to wait and see if they bring out a face lifted fortuner or pajero this year

The new Pajero Sport 2.5VG Turbo is now on the market and the 2wd is 1,179.000 baht (excluding discount). Looks great but not had a test drive yet

I spent a few weeks with the new facelifted Fortuner a short time back and whilst it was generally OK I found the interior very dated.

Also spent a reasonable amount of time in the Mistu PJS 4WD GT and generally liked it, found that it drove OK, but was a bit annoyed by the vibration from the shifter for the transfer case which basically drives into your leg. Then tried the Mistu PJS 2WD GT and found that it drove significantly better than the 4WD, and given that I had just spent 9 years with a 4WD SUV and probably used 4WD only 3 or 4 times I went for the 2WD GT which I have been very happy with. Also very good value when you look at functionality for the price.

If you are waiting for the next gen Fortuner then the Ford Everest replacement should also be available in that timeframe and could be promising.

The Ford Everest has been mentioned a few times -and we had a lively discussionabout it ca 6 month ago.

What can tyhe car experts among us tell us about the timefarme for the new Everset release in Thailand and the features we might expect.?

Toyota fans usually claim of superior resale value. However both models are based on Pick Up designs from 2005 / 6 which may be replaced 2013 or 2014. As newer models become available, resale value will not be easy to predict.

I am not a Toyota fan, but resale value will be easy to predict: Toyota's will be higher, they always are.

isnt the ford a bit small compared to the pajero or fortuner i like the bigger vehicle

Go look at the new Pajero Sport and book a test drive. I do not think you will be dissapointed

yes i keep seeing them out on the road getting to like the look of them

isnt the ford a bit small compared to the pajero or fortuner i like the bigger vehicle

If the ranger is anything to go by, the new ford everest could be huge....but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon given the 3.2 ranger is going to be slow to deliver.

I'd also vote for the 2.5 GT 2wd pjs. I've driven the 4wd version and its quite a nice ride.

My daughter just bought a new Fortuner. I took it out to see how it compared to my 4x4 Vigo. Unfortunately she's put daft 20 inch wheels on it which has altered the ride.

So little difference though the shorter wheelbase gives a nice feel. The interior l think is OK, some fancy differences to the Vigo and the electronic gadgets good, l especially liked the reversing camera on TV on the dash. Wish l had the cash to buy one. sad.png

anything else on the horizon which is a bit more interesting than Fortuners, PJs, CR-Vs....? When is the new Ford SUV (not based Ranger) coming out - Escape replacement?

Anything in the under 2m Baht category worth waiting for? Anybody has a clue if the Skoda Yeti 2.0 TSI will come to Thailand (with the GOLF GTI) engine?

Skoda Yeti biggrin.png funny name the wife says i have to agree

she also finds chillie con carne funny too but thats another subject

Agree, the name is "a little off"....the car however isn't...just google and find out. i was mistaken earlier that it has the GTI engine, it has 2 nice engine choices though: 1.8 TSI with up to 160 hp easily tuned to 200hp and a 170hp Diesel, with decent practicality....a winner for me! I don't think in terms of fun in a quiet small package there is anything else....right now it seems that SKODA Thailand only imported the 1.2 2WD version...which not makes much sense...at least to me.

We changed last August to our second Fortuner. The first, 2.7 v did an excellent job for almost 6 years. 150.000 km. The new one is however significantly better. We went for the diesel version and got all the upgrades of the sportivo , except the wheels, plus the navigator. The interior looks decent with the teflon trimmings. We also managed to get the second cup holder in the dashboard on the left.

I particularly like to much lower consumption. Instead of 14.8ltr/100km 91gas, we now do with 9.1ltr diesel. Makes financially a huge difference.

Never the less All available SUV's are much higher priced than in Europe. We feel the Fortuner is the least overpaid.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect App

All this crap about Toyota's SUV hasn't changed it's looks l really don't understand IF a manufacturer has found a good compromise. Below is a pic of a very expensive Merc G SUV that still sells, Why, cos it's good.

post-41816-0-14636500-1337682940_thumb.j