Where Is The Highest Speed Internet Connections In Bangkok?

RonLee

Where is the Highest Speed Internet Connections in Bangkok?

Would love any and all tips. My lease is up on my place and I am looking for a cheap studio no farther out than OnNut with FAST FAST INTERNET. I have true but it's through my buidling and not fast enough or stable enough at all times.

Thanks for any tips!

Ron~

I did read somewhere, that some new residential complex was being built complete of a fiber optic network, otherways you could Google-up if it's possible to get squatting rights inside a telephone exchange tower in Bangkok laugh.png

If your moving into an apartment you need to check out the connection within the apartment as some (not all) apartments run a single line into the building which then splits into the individual rooms, so when all the residents come home and us the computer the bandwidth disappears very quickly and it grids to a halt. In effect 1 internet connection services 20 rooms (+ reception and the manager office!).

What is your monthly budget for a room? For internet service? Are you able to satisfy any residency requirements? What do you consider fast? Are you able to share details re: your application requirements?

While there are all sorts of spiffy access technologies here: FTTx, VDSL, DOCSIS, I suspect your most viable option would be to find a Thai-owned ( a regular person who bought the condo and leases it ) condo for rent which already has an existing dedicated TOT or True telephone (02 nnn-nnnn), and then layer a DSL plan from True On-Line or TOT on top of that. A True 9/1 DSL plan is 962 baht/month with VAT. The telephone line may be an extra 107 baht/month.

You may be able to find an apartment with True DOCSIS installed but this may be more challenging and limit your location options somewhat?

http://www3.truecorp.co.th/trueonline/packagedetail/6

call True. ask them where you can get their 50mb and 100mb connections. There aren't a lot of places it is offered, but it is the fastest currently available in Thailand.

Edited by kblaze

call True, 02 777 7777. ask them where you can get their 50mb and 100mb connections. There aren't a lot of places it is offered, but it is the fastest currently available in Thailand.

02 777 7777 is the number for SCB not True.

Why do you think you need the absolute fastest? IMO you just have to avoid crappy, which unfortunately is what you'll get living in just about any condo.

In order to have any choice you need to rent a house, or a condo where the management agrees in writing before you move in to allow access for new lines to be run by the ISP of your choice, able to be changed at any time by you during the lease.

Conditions change over time as a given router/access point connecting the POTS line to the fibre backbone gets overloaded, so when TOT gets slow, switch over to True and you'll be fine or v/v.

Tip - sign up for the wifi version of the DSL service, so you don't have to run cables within your home, I've sometimes got 15+ PCs connected at any given time to my B300 per months service and haven't seen problems unless several people are downloading movie DVDs at the same time.

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

Ratchada and the Huay Kwang Area will have it. They have 100 - 200mbit available already. Try Ideo, Life, Rhythm in Huay Kwang and you will get TrueHD Plus and Ultra High Speed Internet up to 200mbit.

The 200mbit package will probably cost you more then your monthly rent..

Edited by WebBKK123

Ratchada and the Huay Kwang Area will have it. They have 100 - 200mbit available already. Try Ideo, Life, Rhythm in Huay Kwang and you will get TrueHD Plus and Ultra High Speed Internet up to 200mbit.

Yeap, 200Mb "in-Thailand" speed with probably around 5Mb "international" speed.

Not sure where you live but i got the 20mbit (twenty) package through cable and my internet works flawless. I get full speed when i download from rapidshare or another filehoster.

Yes, I do too when using a download manager/torrents which are multi-thread operations. I have the True 20Mb/2Mb cable plan here in western Bangkok. But for single-threaded operations like browsing, video streaming, speedtesting, emailing, etc., you'll get a much lower speed to international web sites.

Thousands of posts on ThaiVisa validating this...seems the speed to international web sites runs in the 2 to 6Mb range whether you have a 4Mb, 10Mb, 20Mb, 30Mb.....200Mb plan (unless a person's international speedtest is giving full download speed and faster-than-light ping times also called bogus results...on my True cable plan I can get a 20Mb download speed and 10ms ping time to pretty much any speedtest server on earth...of course this is a bogus results caused by in-Thailand cache servers fooling the speedtest program...and the end user).

Not sure where you live but i got the 20mbit (twenty) package through cable and my internet works flawless. I get full speed when i download from rapidshare or another filehoster.

I have it too and I get exactly what is advertised. Very satisfied with it. For the OP - you can see exactly where their Ultra High Speed service is available here: http://onlinetv.trueonline.com/ultra_coverage/index_en.html

Hi Ron

Check out. This Internet provided by True DOCSIS 3.0. you can add another ADSL Broadband working as Dual Link load balancing by using Peplink 580.

Tom

First speedtest result I've seen for the 200Mb/30Mb plan. Could you post a few results say to San Francisco and London to see what international speeds you get for singe-threaded operations like browsing, video streaming, etc.

But if this True plan is like their other DOCSIS/ADSL plans you can't get a valid result from OOKLA-type testers like speedtest.net unless you use one of True's proxy setting in your browser...somehow that prevents skewed/bogus results (ie.., faster than light ping times to pretty much any server on earth) especially to international web sites....probably bypasses the cache servers. The True proxy settings are:

proxy.trueinternet.co.th Port 8080

or

proxy.asianet.co.th Port 8080

I use these proxies whenever during speedtests with OOKLA-type testers or have a problem accessing certain sites, but otherwise I don't use the proxy settings anymore....use of the proxy servers use to provide noticeably faster browsing up until late last year, but now either proxy seems to provide the same browsing speed compared to no browser proxy setting. But as mentioned the True proxy settings still work to help prevent skewed speed test results and sometimes allow access to certain sites for those folks on True internet plans. When I say access to certain sites, I mean those sites a person can't reach from Thailand unless using VPN because that website in country XYZ blocks IPs from Thailand/other countries. Thanks.