Prem Accord Leaves The Red Shirts Simmering

webfact

Communism bubbles under in parts of Isaan still today, and were the political stance of the reds to be obviously that way, there is no way that the army would countenance them having any significant political role. It is one thing for Prem and Yingluck to have a cup of tea together to work out if there is a way for Thaksin to get back, it is a completely different thing for extreme left wing politics to come into the mainstream of Thai politics.

Of course there are many shades of red, it would be interesting to see how scarlet any policies of a "red shirt" party would be.

Yes the communist bubble is still active. I was at a National Park up in Issan earlier this year that is dedicated to some communist people who were eventually killed in a battle back in the 70's sometime. I asked the Thai people I was with if they actually understand that if these communist uprisers had won their battle, the wouldn't have a King they are so proud of and support, they didn't seem to understand the link between the communists and their anti Royal and anti religious stance. I'm 99 per cent sure that thought I didn't have a clue what I was talking about. huh.png

I worked with a guy a couple of years ago who was told me one night how he was moved out of the country for being a communist and employed by a multinational in the middle east for many years at the request of the government at that time. He was a student activist in the mid 70's, was kicked out and was allowed to return at the end of the 90's. He didn't like to talk about it much, but as he told it, he was a university student in Isaan in his youth, and got caught up in it all and said that he had learned his lesson and made a mistake in his youth.

Knowing him quite well, it was obvious that this was what he felt he "should" say, but nonetheless, the communist idea still bubbles under in Isaan. When he came back, he said he found it very difficult to get jobs, but nonetheless he was very happy to be able to come back home.

On the other side of the stick, I was looking to buy a house up country from a retired army guy, who during conversation proudly described how he had killed "hundreds" of communists in his time.

I know one guy who told me was captured by aliens but released later on.....

As you may know or not know in Thailand was civil war with communists fighting the army, so of course they killed each other.

For example Surayuds father was at the communists.....

Prem stopped that fighting by giving pardon to everyone.

Being a communist fighter isn't the same as being a communist in the parliament fighting with words instead of guns.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"...To the red shirts, Thaksin and Yingluck have already caved in. The fighting against the establishment over the past years, which claimed many lives among them, came to naught. Thaksin simply used them as his stepladder to power..."

This of course was obvious from day one.

Now Thaksin has opened Pandora's little Red Box

and is finding them hard to put back in it.

This too was totally predictable from day one.

It may be obvious to you now but for a long time the line of the usual suspects was that the red shirts had no meaningful agenda and were simply to a lesser or greater degree unwitting agents of Thaksin's ambition.Now even the most reactionary factions don't claim this nonsense to be true.Can we expect an admission of error from the motley band of reactionaries? Don't hold your breath. It was also clear to me that would be a super-foolish long term strategy, and horrible for Thailand

Incidentally I also find it ironic that the PAD admirers have adopted the Pandora's box image in respect of Thaksin and the reds.I pointed this out and used the image years ago.Thaksin is not an admirable person and his significance is his catalytic effect.The box has been opened (by Thaksin) and Thai politics has changed forever., and not in a way that unelected elites, the corrupt generals, monopolist businesses and the frightened and myopic middle class are going to find very comfortable

You can try lamely to tangent this somewhere else, and attempt to apply the views of others to me, or even attempt disingenuously to co-opt my views as yours of the past, but it was clear to me from the beginning, that Thaksin was using the Reds and would discard them when he was finished. Foolish tools of the liege lord in his game of chicken with the old guard.

Edited by animatic

Why did he hold Suthep, who is well known for being corrupt.

Along with most of the other Democrat MPs. If Abhisit was going to exclude everyone involved with corruption, he would have been sitting by himself. If you don't know why Suthep was an instrumental, albeit a very ugly, component in cobbling together the coalition, i am very surprised. Put simply, without Suthep, there was no government. Whether or not the trade of leading government but having to work with and sometimes for Suthep was worth it, is of course a matter of opinion

Why did he hold Kasit who has shown complete incompetence (I have read some letters from him to Germany which were below the level of a 8 year old)

Kasit was actually quite well qualified for the post - unlike our current FM - but he did do a poor job to put it mildly and it was a quite blatant sweetener for the yellow shirts, that i agree, Abhisit should have done more to prevent. Privately i'm sure he would agree.

Communism bubbles under in parts of Isaan still today, and were the political stance of the reds to be obviously that way, there is no way that the army would countenance them having any significant political role. It is one thing for Prem and Yingluck to have a cup of tea together to work out if there is a way for Thaksin to get back, it is a completely different thing for extreme left wing politics to come into the mainstream of Thai politics.

Of course there are many shades of red, it would be interesting to see how scarlet any policies of a "red shirt" party would be.

Yes the communist bubble is still active. I was at a National Park up in Issan earlier this year that is dedicated to some communist people who were eventually killed in a battle back in the 70's sometime. I asked the Thai people I was with if they actually understand that if these communist uprisers had won their battle, the wouldn't have a King they are so proud of and support, they didn't seem to understand the link between the communists and their anti Royal and anti religious stance. I'm 99 per cent sure that thought I didn't have a clue what I was talking about. huh.png

I worked with a guy a couple of years ago who was told me one night how he was moved out of the country for being a communist and employed by a multinational in the middle east for many years at the request of the government at that time. He was a student activist in the mid 70's, was kicked out and was allowed to return at the end of the 90's. He didn't like to talk about it much, but as he told it, he was a university student in Isaan in his youth, and got caught up in it all and said that he had learned his lesson and made a mistake in his youth.

Knowing him quite well, it was obvious that this was what he felt he "should" say, but nonetheless, the communist idea still bubbles under in Isaan. When he came back, he said he found it very difficult to get jobs, but nonetheless he was very happy to be able to come back home.

On the other side of the stick, I was looking to buy a house up country from a retired army guy, who during conversation proudly described how he had killed "hundreds" of communists in his time.

As you may know or not know in Thailand was civil war with communists fighting the army, so of course they killed each other.

Being a communist fighter isn't the same as being a communist in the parliament fighting with words instead of guns.

Hey, I wasn't stating that it didn't go on, just illustrating a story of how seriously the concept of "communism" as an ethos has been dealt with in Thailand in its day. This wasn't a "localised" war anyway, there was a huge effort to apparently capture the hearts of the people in Isaan on a village by village basis by building road, cleaning up villages, building schools etc.

Hey, I wasn't stating that it didn't go on, just illustrating a story of how seriously the concept of "communism" as an ethos has been dealt with in Thailand in its day. This wasn't a "localised" war anyway, there was a huge effort to apparently capture the hearts of the people in Isaan on a village by village basis by building road, cleaning up villages, building schools etc.

There were many reasons that 50,000 Americans were stationed in Thailand from 1965 to 1975 and that was one of them. I always thought the reason the Thais kicked us out was we were building too many schools and educating to many peasants and putting too much money in the hands of the farmers from Issan. But when we left we also left a lot of equipment that started many trade schools and they used the trucks and vehicles for the next 30 years.

Why did he hold Suthep, who is well known for being corrupt.

Along with most of the other Democrat MPs. If Abhisit was going to exclude everyone involved with corruption, he would have been sitting by himself. If you don't know why Suthep was an instrumental, albeit a very ugly, component in cobbling together the coalition, i am very surprised. Put simply, without Suthep, there was no government. Whether or not the trade of leading government but having to work with and sometimes for Suthep was worth it, is of course a matter of opinion

Why did he hold Kasit who has shown complete incompetence (I have read some letters from him to Germany which were below the level of a 8 year old)

Kasit was actually quite well qualified for the post - unlike our current FM - but he did do a poor job to put it mildly and it was a quite blatant sweetener for the yellow shirts, that i agree, Abhisit should have done more to prevent. Privately i'm sure he would agree.

OK you'll call me naive again.

I know how Suthep was cobbling together the coalition, but that is still no reason for not kicking him out later. I doubt that the coalition partners who main interest is to get money in their pocket would have left the coalition because Suthep left. And if, Abhisit would look like the white knight and would have gone stronger into the election.

And yes of course many in the government are corrupt, but taking out the worst of the own people is a must if you want to get elected again.

Kasit could hide his qualification very well. The letters to Germany sounded like they were translated from the next prostitute that had sometimes a German customer. Very low and wrong. Around the German embassy are a couple of certified translation offices who do a better job for a few hundred Bahts. I have no idea how it is possible that such documents go out.

It was a letter telling that Thaksin should not be allowed to be in Germany and a letter for the princes airplane (where Kasit got catches with lying as well).

+PAD attacked the Democrats all the time...no need to have him as sweetener. Or take someone else as sweetener. There was no reason to hold him.

So in total it was a poor performance. At least poor in compare to what people have dreamed that this well educated guy can do.

OK you'll call me naive again.

I know how Suthep was cobbling together the coalition, but that is still no reason for not kicking him out later. I doubt that the coalition partners who main interest is to get money in their pocket would have left the coalition because Suthep left. And if, Abhisit would look like the white knight and would have gone stronger into the election.

I would have loved for Abhisit to have kicked Suthep out - even better not to have had him in the government in the first place - but i think expecting him able of such a feat is to underestimate the power Suthep has within the party.

And yes of course many in the government are corrupt, but taking out the worst of the own people is a must if you want to get elected again.

You'd think so wouldn't you, but it doesn't seem to have proven much of an obstacle for the various incarnations of Mr Thaksin's party.

Kasit could hide his qualification very well. The letters to Germany sounded like they were translated from the next prostitute that had sometimes a German customer. Very low and wrong. Around the German embassy are a couple of certified translation offices who do a better job for a few hundred Bahts. I have no idea how it is possible that such documents go out.

It was a letter telling that Thaksin should not be allowed to be in Germany and a letter for the princes airplane (where Kasit got catches with lying as well).

+PAD attacked the Democrats all the time...no need to have him as sweetener. Or take someone else as sweetener. There was no reason to hold him.

If there is one area where Abhisit did let himself down, it was with the Kasit appointment, so i think we are in agreement on that matter.

So in total it was a poor performance. At least poor in compare to what people have dreamed that this well educated guy can do.

Fair enough. Your opinion. For me i would like to have had the chance to see what he could do with a full four year term and without all the red nonsense, but that is of course up to Thai people and if they seriously think Yingluck can do a better job, that's up to them.

...The more ideological of the Reds are starting to feel betrayed by their leaders (as they should!)...

They knew perfectly well they were going to get screwed when they got into that bed. That's what the bed was there for.

They got seduced by the opportunity to speak to thousands of people from the red stage, that moment has passed, now it's time to pull down their pants and let their masters have their way, too.

What right to they have to speak of betrayal when they abandoned their own ideology for a short moment in public spotlight? Serves them well.

Speaking of red leaders, the other day I read about one of them form the provinces complaining about govt doing this and not doing that and that red shirts are getting fed up. Turns out it was a business woman with a hundred tonnes of tapioca in stock she didn't know where to sell.

If those village reds choose to be led by businessmen they've been selling products of their labor all their lives and are still left poor and saddled with debt then nothing, absolutely nothing has changed, except now they have formed even stronger bond with their exploiters.

Right from the beginning of TRT's foray in villages the idea was to shackle them even tighter and convince them that their local rulers are the one and only source of hope. Now they've achieved almost arian ideological purity with all their red villagers and one and only Dear Leader at the top.

And some think this is democracy!

Good post, you nailed it, thanks.clap2.gif

...The more ideological of the Reds are starting to feel betrayed by their leaders (as they should!)...

They knew perfectly well they were going to get screwed when they got into that bed. That's what the bed was there for.

They got seduced by the opportunity to speak to thousands of people from the red stage, that moment has passed, now it's time to pull down their pants and let their masters have their way, too.

What right to they have to speak of betrayal when they abandoned their own ideology for a short moment in public spotlight? Serves them well.

Speaking of red leaders, the other day I read about one of them form the provinces complaining about govt doing this and not doing that and that red shirts are getting fed up. Turns out it was a business woman with a hundred tonnes of tapioca in stock she didn't know where to sell.

If those village reds choose to be led by businessmen they've been selling products of their labor all their lives and are still left poor and saddled with debt then nothing, absolutely nothing has changed, except now they have formed even stronger bond with their exploiters.

Right from the beginning of TRT's foray in villages the idea was to shackle them even tighter and convince them that their local rulers are the one and only source of hope. Now they've achieved almost arian ideological purity with all their red villagers and one and only Dear Leader at the top.

Use your powers for good instead of evil young Skywalker and tell us when Thailand ever had a democracy and how to achieve this state again.

KerryK, the democracy is a bogus idea, why should Thailand strive to have it? Just because in Churchill's time there were no better options?

It doesn't matter who the red shirts vote for, their voting has no influence on real decision making because people at the top from whatever camp will do their own thing anyway.

This whole page here is dedicated to dissecting Democrats performance in the office, much of the criticism is probably well deserved, some probably isn't, but what is obvious, though, is that even the best, most honest, intelligent, articulate PM with most noble intentions and indisputable background, having received education in the cradle of modern democracy, the UK itself, even that man was incapable of introducing any meaningful changes and had to go along with the rest of the wolf pack. The sad part is that even if he wins the elections fare and square the wolfpack will still be running this country, not the dude on TV.

PAD people were right with their no vote campaign, both parties are essentially broken vehicles that won't get you anywhere. On the other hand this reality can't be ignored either and people have to elect some sort of the government to keep at least the basic infrastructure running.

The country chose PTP, so what? Over here we are quick to point out PTP's deficiencies comparing to Democrats but a large number of Thais like their government that way, thank you very much for your concern.

In this particular thread I just find it funny that self-appointed ideologists from red camp are complaining about being screwed by the ruling class. In the real world their ideas are not worth a dime, not if they are ready to sell themselves out to the first capitalists who bankrolls them for his own ends. By saying not worth a dime I mean they have zero chance of forming their own political party and succeeding in Thai politics, not that the ideas have no values in them.

Loot at Chaturon, for example, that weasel has been brown nosing the worst of Thai politicos - Chalerm and Thaksin, he keeps expounding on "democracy", got his sister in government when he is/was banned, and he doesn't complain about being screwed over. He actually enjoys it. As a downside no one takes him seriously outside red circles but who cares? He got himself a cushy job and he is "helping" the country by promoting corruption and nepotism for the "higher cause". This is the guy the red ideologists should learn their lessons from instead of whining in public.

• Like 1

KerryK, the democracy is a bogus idea, why should Thailand strive to have it? Just because in Churchill's time there were no better options?

It doesn't matter who the red shirts vote for, their voting has no influence on real decision making because people at the top from whatever camp will do their own thing anyway.

This whole page here is dedicated to dissecting Democrats performance in the office, much of the criticism is probably well deserved, some probably isn't, but what is obvious, though, is that even the best, most honest, intelligent, articulate PM with most noble intentions and indisputable background, having received education in the cradle of modern democracy, the UK itself, even that man was incapable of introducing any meaningful changes and had to go along with the rest of the wolf pack. The sad part is that even if he wins the elections fare and square the wolfpack will still be running this country, not the dude on TV.

PAD people were right with their no vote campaign, both parties are essentially broken vehicles that won't get you anywhere. On the other hand this reality can't be ignored either and people have to elect some sort of the government to keep at least the basic infrastructure running.

The country chose PTP, so what? Over here we are quick to point out PTP's deficiencies comparing to Democrats but a large number of Thais like their government that way, thank you very much for your concern.

In this particular thread I just find it funny that self-appointed ideologists from red camp are complaining about being screwed by the ruling class. In the real world their ideas are not worth a dime, not if they are ready to sell themselves out to the first capitalists who bankrolls them for his own ends. By saying not worth a dime I mean they have zero chance of forming their own political party and succeeding in Thai politics, not that the ideas have no values in them.

Loot at Chaturon, for example, that weasel has been brown nosing the worst of Thai politicos - Chalerm and Thaksin, he keeps expounding on "democracy", got his sister in government when he is/was banned, and he doesn't complain about being screwed over. He actually enjoys it. As a downside no one takes him seriously outside red circles but who cares? He got himself a cushy job and he is "helping" the country by promoting corruption and nepotism for the "higher cause". This is the guy the red ideologists should learn their lessons from instead of whining in public.

OK, I think I get what you are saying. But who should decide? Who should rule Thailand?

Use your powers for good instead of evil young Skywalker and tell us when Thailand ever had a democracy and how to achieve this state again.

A good start would be to get Thaksin out of the equation and we take it from there, mate.thumbsup.gif

Who should rule Thailand? I think it's an illusion to think anyone is capable of ruling this country, it's a group effort and people in this group don't care which way election results go, they get what they want one way or another, leaving hapless MPs scramble over inconsequential constitution amendments.

Thaksin is probably the most capable person to actually rule but we've already seen that it doesn't work, he's too controversial and too egotistic.

I think Thailand is way past the stage of being ruled by a single person or even a party, it's got too many egos, too much luggage to change the certain way they've been doing things for the past three-four generations.

At best you can offer them compelling ideas and hope they'll pick them up, you can't force Thais to do anything differently against their will. Right now the country is going through the fascination with populism but there are signs people are getting smarter. Ten years ago Thaksin made promises and delivered, big wow, now he made promises, delivered, but people are starting to realize that it didn't make as much difference as they hoped during the election campaign.

Who should rule Thailand? I think it's an illusion to think anyone is capable of ruling this country, it's a group effort and people in this group don't care which way election results go, they get what they want one way or another, leaving hapless MPs scramble over inconsequential constitution amendments.

Thaksin is probably the most capable person to actually rule but we've already seen that it doesn't work, he's too controversial and too egotistic.

I think Thailand is way past the stage of being ruled by a single person or even a party, it's got too many egos, too much luggage to change the certain way they've been doing things for the past three-four generations.

At best you can offer them compelling ideas and hope they'll pick them up, you can't force Thais to do anything differently against their will. Right now the country is going through the fascination with populism but there are signs people are getting smarter. Ten years ago Thaksin made promises and delivered, big wow, now he made promises, delivered, but people are starting to realize that it didn't make as much difference as they hoped during the election campaign.

The sad part is that even if he wins the elections fare and square the wolfpack will still be running this country, not the dude on TV.

So if I read you correctly the current PM has no effect on the economy? And further that democracy and voting by a free electorate also have no effect on the economy. No one or party can rule Thailand and we exist in kind of an autocratic anarchy?

Am I understanding what you are saying?

So if I read you correctly the current PM has no effect on the economy? And further that democracy and voting by a free electorate also have no effect on the economy. No one or party can rule Thailand and we exist in kind of an autocratic anarchy?

I think you got it right.

In a way, Yingluck is so irritated about being blamed for price increases because none of what she did was supposed to matter...tongue.png

As for general vote and promises - they got price increases for everyone and tax deductions for businesses, and wage increases for workers in the legal system in seven provinces out of seventy six, and tablets for one in ten students.

What effect any of that has on the economy? None whatsoever. Whatever analysis you read it's all about post-flood recovery and subsequent government fund injection, none of which has anything to do with election promises and all of those would have been done by whatever party was in power.

And here's another thing mentioned in all of those analyses - the implementation has to be good and solid, and none of the parties striving for power can guarantee you that, and the efficiency of implementation does not depend on who wears the PM's hat, it depends on the state of the society in general.

Sans Thaksin, who is an aberration, all Thai politicians are more or less the same and have more or less the same impact, which is close to none, on the general state of things.

In a way, Yingluck is so irritated about being blamed for price increases because none of what she did was supposed to matter...tongue.png

As for general vote and promises - they got price increases for everyone and tax deductions for businesses, and wage increases for workers in the legal system in seven provinces out of seventy six, and tablets for one in ten students.

What effect any of that has on the economy? None whatsoever. Whatever analysis you read it's all about post-flood recovery and subsequent government fund injection, none of which has anything to do with election promises and all of those would have been done by whatever party was in power.

And here's another thing mentioned in all of those analyses - the implementation has to be good and solid, and none of the parties striving for power can guarantee you that, and the efficiency of implementation does not depend on who wears the PM's hat, it depends on the state of the society in general.

Sans Thaksin, who is an aberration, all Thai politicians are more or less the same and have more or less the same impact, which is close to none, on the general state of things.

Since no one can do anything it comes down to picking someone who looks good doing nothing. The Oxford guy does look good in a suit! But I still go for the ladies in uniforms. Boots would be even better.

• Like 1

Since no one can do anything it comes down to picking someone who looks good doing nothing. The Oxford guy does look good in a suit! But I still go for the ladies in uniforms. Boots would be even better.

Burberry boots of course. What the elite wear to a flood disaster.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/eat-drink-man-woman-16/thais-unhappy-yingluck-wear-burburry-boots-visit-flooded-area-3453028.html

'Let them eat rice cakes.'

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Does the world in general associate Red with communism?

It's mostly seen as a left wing colour, although in the USA I think it's used to represent the Republican party.

Not really the Republicans have never been to far to the left more to the right and now the far right. The way PTP is throwing around money at present would have been ok with George Bush but this bunch in control now would be haveing a fit.

He didn't mean to imply that the Republicans in the US has ever been left. Neither is the 'red' something associated with them, you cannot say you voted 'red' and everyone knows what you mean. It is more a case of 'using two basic color to paint the map to represent what major party the representatives comes from', not what color of t-shirt they have or what is part of their name.

Those with red in their name are more often left.

Goodbye TAWP,

I was wondering why I hadn't seen your posts in some time.